Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

220D - Tall Gearing ? Or Flat Spots Below 2K - 4K Rpm ?!

Hi all.

New member and new owner. I have had my Lexus 220d SE 56 plate for 8 days.

Wonderful comfort and cruising machine etc etc as you all probably know.

HOWEVER....

the gearing seems to be very out of sync with the rev band of the engine. The engine has enough power & torque, as is evident when sitting at over 2000rpm in 2nd / 3rd, but at 1000 - 1500rpm in any gear, particularly 2nd & 6th there isnt much happening.n 2nd there is no go, flat spot. which is very frustrating.

driving in traffic therefore is a bit of a pain, and i now tend to stay in each gear to a higher revolution than i would in other cars, which isnt good for mpg.

Furthermore, shifting into 6th gear at 70 mph causing the revs to drop to about 1000 rpm which means extremely slow acceleration and a shuddering engine (plus cruise control struggles with 6th at 70mph)

i did not have any dramas such as this in any of my previous cars (BMW diesel, even citroen diesel, range rover etc)

has anyone had this problem ?

if so is there a factory approved remedy?

if not is there an aftermarket remedy?

Hi all.

HOWEVER....

the gearing seems to be very out of sync with the rev band of the engine. The engine has enough power & torque, as is evident when sitting at over 2000rpm in 2nd / 3rd, but at 1000 - 1500rpm in any gear, particularly 2nd & 6th there isnt much happening.n 2nd there is no go, flat spot. which is very frustrating.

driving in traffic therefore is a bit of a pain, and i now tend to stay in each gear to a higher revolution than i would in other cars, which isnt good for mpg.

Furthermore, shifting into 6th gear at 70 mph causing the revs to drop to about 1000 rpm which means extremely slow acceleration and a shuddering engine (plus cruise control struggles with 6th at 70mph)

i did not have any dramas such as this in any of my previous cars (BMW diesel, even citroen diesel, range rover etc)

Welcome to LOC and welcome to the IS220D. I'm afraid it's a "feature" with the 220D. Lexus did release a sport (which I have) which cures it. Its basically down to gear ratio and I'm afraid there aint much you can do (apart from adjust your driving style).

When I first test drove a new one (2 years ago) I spotted this issue straight away when approaching a round about slow in 2nd, I nearly got smacked in the side by the time the turbo had kicked in. I then did some research before going to a BMW, but as of 3 months ago got a Lexus. I knew it would either have to be a sport or a 250 auto and the sport came along at the right time, price, colour etc.

• 1 month later...

Hi all.

HOWEVER....

Welcome to LOC and welcome to the IS220D. I'm afraid it's a "feature" with the 220D. Lexus did release a sport (which I have) which cures it. Its basically down to gear ratio and I'm afraid there aint much you can do (apart from adjust your driving style).

When I first test drove a new one (2 years ago) I spotted this issue straight away when approaching a round about slow in 2nd, I nearly got smacked in the side by the time the turbo had kicked in. I then did some research before going to a BMW, but as of 3 months ago got a Lexus. I knew it would either have to be a sport or a 250 auto and the sport came along at the right time, price, colour etc.

Definatley theres a issue with the 220d gearing and i have taken the advise of other members and changed my driving style.

If im honest I now drive it like im driving the mrs 1.2 corsa and it seems to drive mint now. However I agree this cant be any good for the car or the mpg. you would think a 2.2 d would have a better gearing ratio than this.

I would have expected better from lexus.........

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links