• 0-20 heavy feet
    • 21-23
    • 24-26
    • 27-29
    • 30-32
    • 33-35
    • 36+ its always sunday for me

First ever post so go easy on me.

I'm wondering what mpg does everybody average? Im going to be changing my car from an X type 3.0 auto to an IS200 manual and was interested to see what kind of mpg I should expect?

Ive searched through the forum and there is a few topics like this but I thought a poll might make things clearer for me as there is a mixed bag of results.

Thanks in advance,

Dave :)

I used to get low twenties if I was driving more around town and high twenties, pushing 30 if I was doing more motorway driving. It's designed to be enjoyable to drive and it really is. It's very smooth and gives constant acceleration though the rev range. The straight six engine sounds gorgeous, especially with a bigger exhaust, but its not very economic.

I'm wondering what mpg does everybody average? Im going to be changing my car from an X type 3.0 auto to an IS200 manual and was interested to see what kind of mpg I should expect?

Ive searched through the forum and there is a few topics like this but I thought a poll might make things clearer for me as there is a mixed bag of results.

Thanks in advance,

25mph around town, 30 on long runs.

Thanks in advance,

The IS200 is not and never was a "high performance" car. It is so smooth, comfortable and effortless that it deceives you into thinking it is maybe a bit sluggish compared with other 2 litre cars of the same size - when it isn't. It can seem less "involving" and if driven agressively like a hot hatch, using max revs in each gear; it will return considerably less than 20 mpg without getting anywhere quicker than driving it properly as a car with a six cylinder engine, just using your right foot to squeeze out the power you need in each gear. If driven for what it is, well over 30 mpg is easily achieved on a decent journey without ever lagging behind the rest of the traffic. However, three factors are important to remember: (1) The engine/ECU design is over 10 years old, and newer designs tend to be more efficient. (2) 6 cylinder engines have more inherent cylinder/camshaft/bearing friction than 4 cylinder engines, so are generally thirstier. (3) If you like a car you have thrash to get the best out of it; the IS200 isn't for you.

Can I ask why you’re moving from the 3 litre Jag to a 2 litre IS? The IS300 isn’t much less economical and has the power and performance you’re used to (and probably better reliability too!)?

I have just got back from a holiday in Scotland. My IS300 SportCross (automatic, as are all 300s) was an absolute joy to drive and in a little over 2 weeks covered about 1,600 miles in comfort. My best tank of fuel was on the way north (M6/M74/A9) and when I fuelled up in Inverness, I was really pleased to see that I’d got 30.4mpg. I wasn’t the fastest thing on the road, but I was typically cruising at 80/82 on the motorway and then on the A9, I never missed the opportunity where an overtake presented itself, so it was hardly an economy drive. For the record, my worst tank of fuel was 22.9mpg, which included a fairly spirited run down the A82 from Fort William, through Glencoe to Glasgow starting out at 5am yesterday, when the road was virtually empty and I enjoyed myself!!

Over 1,621 miles my average was 26.4.

In everyday use, doing the commute into town etc, the car typically does 23-25mpg.

Depends on how you drive the IS, ive managed 500 miles out of a full tank before now but that was conservative driving

I took mine out today for a 450 mile round trip with a bit of booting it for a full tank - as said before - depends on how you drive it... :winky:

Can I ask why you’re moving from the 3 litre Jag to a 2 litre IS? The IS300 isn’t much less economical and has the power and performance you’re used to (and probably better reliability too!)?

I have just got back from a holiday in Scotland. My IS300 SportCross (automatic, as are all 300s) was an absolute joy to drive and in a little over 2 weeks covered about 1,600 miles in comfort. My best tank of fuel was on the way north (M6/M74/A9) and when I fuelled up in Inverness, I was really pleased to see that I’d got 30.4mpg. I wasn’t the fastest thing on the road, but I was typically cruising at 80/82 on the motorway and then on the A9, I never missed the opportunity where an overtake presented itself, so it was hardly an economy drive. For the record, my worst tank of fuel was 22.9mpg, which included a fairly spirited run down the A82 from Fort William, through Glencoe to Glasgow starting out at 5am yesterday, when the road was virtually empty and I enjoyed myself!!

Over 1,621 miles my average was 26.4.

In everyday use, doing the commute into town etc, the car typically does 23-25mpg.

i would echo these sentiments

• 1 year later...

I just had a blast from Worcester to Portsmouth - £81 to fill tank from empty/red - averaging speeds of around 80 to 100 mph. I was getting 28mpg on motorway. 156 miles fone and three quarters of fuel bar. Quite impressive considering my old punto did 33mpg on motorway doing 70.

The motorway is where this car really shines. I can get around 400 miles on a tank of fuel

bloody hell,ive just got 291 miles out of a full tank.75 quids worth.

all town driving.so havnt really booted it.

it had a full service and cambelt change 2 weeks ago.

That works out to 18.8 mpg which is a bit poor. Try a short experiment. Brim the tank and drive until nearly empty but keeping below ALL speed limits, NEVER accelerating hard, ALWAYS easing off instead of heavy braking - boring and you will have to allow a couple of minutes more for each journey.

Work out mpg from miles done and how much is needed to brim the tank again (Divide litres by 4.544 to get gallons). If the result is in the thirties for mixed urban & motorway driving and in the twenties for urban only; then your poor mpg is just down to driving style - probably more suited to a lively 4-cyl car. If it stays poor in the experiment; start looking for something wrong with the car.

The IS200 isn't a particularly economical car. The manufacturer's figures are in the specs at the top of this page on the forum. As always, these are a bit optimistic; but you should expect something fairly near them.

That works out to 18.8 mpg which is a bit poor. Try a short experiment. Brim the tank and drive until nearly empty but keeping below ALL speed limits, NEVER accelerating hard, ALWAYS easing off instead of heavy braking - boring and you will have to allow a couple of minutes more for each journey.

Work out mpg from miles done and how much is needed to brim the tank again (Divide litres by 4.544 to get gallons). If the result is in the thirties for mixed urban & motorway driving and in the twenties for urban only; then your poor mpg is just down to driving style - probably more suited to a lively 4-cyl car. If it stays poor in the experiment; start looking for something wrong with the car.

The IS200 isn't a particularly economical car. The manufacturer's figures are in the specs at the top of this page on the forum. As always, these are a bit optimistic; but you should expect something fairly near them.

thanks for the detailed reply,

as i havnt had a car for about 13 years(been in mpvs and a tdi for the last 4.5 years)i realize i wont be getting on average 50 odd mpg.

when i first got my lexus i put 20 quid in and got 88 miles out of it,so then put £75 in and got 291.

now i know if its full its lugging more weight around,plus ME having to get used to it.but was expecting a little bit more then what i got.

ive now put £40 in and that got me to half way by the fuel gauge,so were see how far that gets me, ;) think i need to take the lead out of my right foot.

Always used to average about 24-25 mpg, but been using the snow mode recently as well as a tad more conservative driving and I managed to get it up to around 30mpg. Hopefully when its serviced next month it will improve again.

I tend to get about 27mpg lately driving to work during the week. Pretty much town driving. Out of £30 of fuel I regularly get 130 miles. My car also has a Powertec induction kit fitted and it did not seem to have any adverse effect on the economy :shifty:

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links