Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Lowering My Lexus Is 220

john downey

upgraded my lexus is 220 se-l 17 inch wheels to 18 inch sport polished rims.the car looks high on springs.i was thinking of lowering the car on eibach springs giving the car a 30mm drop. has anyone views on how this will effect the ride of the car.some people tell me it will ruin the drive of the car.also i tow a caravan will the lowered suspension effect how it tows.has anyone any pics of their cars lowered.also some people prefer h and r springs.will the drop be very noticeable.would i be able to lower the car sucessfully or would it be best to leave it alone many thanx

Hi mate

I have 19'' and i am looking to lower mine what drops have you been quoted i can see 30mm what about the other set ?? let me know or pm me

My IS250 SE-L has 19" rims and is on the American specification Eibach springs which give a staggered drop of 32 mm at the front and 24.4mm at the rear, so this may be better suited if you are towing. The European spring set is indeed 30mm all round and also gives a slightly softer ride than the American Spec (American spec has progressive loading whereas the European spec is described as linear).

The ride isn't particularly harsh, probably similar or slightly softer than my IS-F.

backendp.jpg gallery12031184.jpg

20052008032.jpg

Hi mate

I have 19'' and i am looking to lower mine what drops have you been quoted i can see 30mm what about the other set ?? let me know or pm me

My IS250 SE-L has 19" rims and is on the American specification Eibach springs which give a staggered drop of 32 mm at the front and 24.4mm at the rear, so this may be better suited if you are towing. The European spring set is indeed 30mm all round and also gives a slightly softer ride than the American Spec (American spec has progressive loading whereas the European spec is described as linear).

The ride isn't particularly harsh, probably similar or slightly softer than my IS-F.

backendp.jpg gallery12031184.jpg

20052008032.jpg

Yo there john i had a set of eibachs but they still sat quite high so i had to get a set of custom 60mm springs made, quality is top notch and the ride quality is still quite cormfy. Got it done in Team Vally in Newcastle-Upon-Tyne, il try and scout the details for you :)

what is the difference between progressive and linear loading

Linear and progressive springs are the two main spring designs that can be found on road cars. Linear springs are designed so that the entire length of the spring has the same load rating (stiffness). Progressive springs are designed to have several load ratings over the length of the spring, so most of the time the 'soft' portion of the spring is the most active. When the suspension encounters a loading the soft portion is the first to react to absorb the energy, but the more loading that is put on the more of the spring will be used until the resistence provided by the spring matches the energy that is being encountered.

The linear spring is usually used for racing applications where the ride comfort provided by a progressive spring is outweighed by the need for increased performance. A linear spring increases it's rigidity exponentially as its compressed. It's a much less compliant ride than the progressive spring, but has the advantage that it can be much shorter in length. For road use and the comparitively small drop compared to a race car, the Eibach progressive springs seemed to me to be the better option as I got the drop without undue harshness of ride. I also have the 19" rims/lower profile tyres so had already lost some of the 'softness' provided by the tyre sidewalls.

Yo there john i had a set of eibachs but they still sat quite high so i had to get a set of custom 60mm springs made, quality is top notch and the ride quality is still quite cormfy. Got it done in Team Vally in Newcastle-Upon-Tyne, il try and scout the details for you :)

Would like the details if you can , any pictures with them fitted please

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links