Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Hi

I know that this topic was raised sometime last year, but did not appear to be concluded. I want to be able to have my newly acquired 2005 GS430 doors lock automatically when I drive away. Apparently the US spec models have this facility. A previous thread pointed to the US manual, which gave a procedure for automatic locking either on moving the gear shift out of P or, alternatively, on the road speed reaching about 15 mph. The response at the time was that this was a dealer set option.

I tried the for myself procedure described in last year’s thread, usng the passenger side lock as activator as well as the drivers side, given that the instructions were for a US spec vehicle, but without any joy. As my car needed to go in for a bit of work at the nearby main dealer, I asked if they could look into the possibility. They concluded that they couldn’t help because they “didn’t have the right codes”. I should have asked whether they meant that they simply didn’t know the codes or that the US spec codes would be different from the UK spec codes; but I forgot. They did say that the 2008 onwards models have lock on drive away as standard

I think I shall have to pursue this on my own. So my question is whether anyone has successfully retrofitted lock on drive away to their GS 300 /430 and, if so, how? If not, does anyone have any ideas for accomplishing this? Is there a module that could be fitted?

Thanks for viewing and for any and all responses,

Regards

Mike

Hi

I know that this topic was raised sometime last year, but did not appear to be concluded. I want to be able to have my newly acquired 2005 GS430 doors lock automatically when I drive away. Apparently the US spec models have this facility. A previous thread pointed to the US manual, which gave a procedure for automatic locking either on moving the gear shift out of P or, alternatively, on the road speed reaching about 15 mph. The response at the time was that this was a dealer set option.

I tried the for myself procedure described in last year’s thread, usng the passenger side lock as activator as well as the drivers side, given that the instructions were for a US spec vehicle, but without any joy. As my car needed to go in for a bit of work at the nearby main dealer, I asked if they could look into the possibility. They concluded that they couldn’t help because they “didn’t have the right codes”. I should have asked whether they meant that they simply didn’t know the codes or that the US spec codes would be different from the UK spec codes; but I forgot. They did say that the 2008 onwards models have lock on drive away as standard

I think I shall have to pursue this on my own. So my question is whether anyone has successfully retrofitted lock on drive away to their GS 300 /430 and, if so, how? If not, does anyone have any ideas for accomplishing this? Is there a module that could be fitted?

Regards

Mike

You could save all this bother by pressing the 'Lock Doors' button near the electric window switch.

Hi

Regards

Mike

You could save all this bother by pressing the 'Lock Doors' button near the electric window switch.

Hi

Regards

Mike

Ah, how very true. I guess it depends on how well you trust your memory to lock the doors each and every time you drive off, and whether you have had your laptop snatched from the passenger seat while waiting at the lights. It was just one little lapse – forgetting to relock to doors after I’d been to a petrol station. But it only takes a little lapse ….

OK - amusing but ultimately unhelpful answers apart, has anyone any views on whether you can achieve automatic "door lock on drive away" on a 05 430?

Thanks

Mike

Hi

Regards

Mike

Ah, how very true. I guess it depends on how well you trust your memory to lock the doors each and every time you drive off, and whether you have had your laptop snatched from the passenger seat while waiting at the lights. It was just one little lapse – forgetting to relock to doors after I’d been to a petrol station. But it only takes a little lapse ….

I think I raised the original question last year and, no, it was never resolved.

I too forgot to ask when I last took mine in for a service - must remember next time.

I've got into the habit of hitting the lock button every time - but I'm always scared that I'll forget. Many years of driving around the rough parts of Manchester and Salford taught me the benefit of auto lock on drive away!

If anyone finds out how this can be done for a Mk3 GS I would love to know as well.

Cheers,

Mark

I thought I had read in the past that it can be done on the mk3 GS but I'm not sure anymore. But if it is possible the procedure should be the same as US cars so if it doesn't work it probably means it's not there.

As another example of differences between the US and UK, the prius has a beeper to tell you that you're in reverse. On US cars this can be switched off with a simple procedure, on UK cars it can't.

Don't know why they make the cars differently like that, surely it's cheaper to standardise the electronics but I have no idea :)

I spoke to Lexus UK today, who were predictably sniffy. Their view is that if it's not part of a UK spec, then it has no place in the UK and that trying to make a UK spec car behave like its US cousin would invalidate every warranty from here to California and back. Oh, and they proabaly wouldn't service it either. Ironic,really, that I was speaking to Customer Service ...

Mike

I thought I had read in the past that it can be done on the mk3 GS but I'm not sure anymore. But if it is possible the procedure should be the same as US cars so if it doesn't work it probably means it's not there.

As another example of differences between the US and UK, the prius has a beeper to tell you that you're in reverse. On US cars this can be switched off with a simple procedure, on UK cars it can't.

Don't know why they make the cars differently like that, surely it's cheaper to standardise the electronics but I have no idea :)