Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Help Needed Please With My Is200 Sport

hi their

this is the first time that i have posted on here but i have been an active reader on here for the last couple of months.

firstly ill give you a bit of background to the problem.

car initally had a head gasket problem caused by leak on the water reservoir, the car developed this leak on a long drive back from germany so the water was chucked all over the engine in an attempt to get it home.

so set out to repair this, car had the head gasket done, new radiator, fan shroud, water pump, spark plugs, head bolts, cam belt all fitted.

car was struck up and had a misfire on three cylinders, diagnostic said mis fire on 1,2 and 3.

so purchased three new coil packs for the car and had them fitted, cleared code.

car ran fine for approx 40 miles and again had engine management light and mis fire and loss of power.

diagnostic read mis fire on 1,2 and three again, so to be on the safe side bout another three coil pack and replaced the other old three (so car now has 6 brand new coils).

car still had engine management and misfire.

so went back to the beginning and re stripped the head, head was sent off to be tested checked skimmed and repaired where necessary (it required two valves), re did all the gaskets again, re checked spark plugs before putting it all back together again.

timing through out this has been checked at least a dozen times and its right.

but car still has the same problems.

it will start but misfires, engine management light still on, and im now lost with what to check next.

throughout all of the above we have checked wires, sensors, leads etc etc and everything seems to be correct.

can anyone shed any light on this please as i have no idea what to check next and really dont want to have to take the engine back apart again, i have looked through pages and pages of forum topics but havent found anything like this!!!

please help!!!!!!

thank you in advance

how did you check the plugs??irridium plugs do not like to be gapped or cleaned........also did you check the valve clearance's if they are wrong you will get a miss....(yes you can adjust them...you buy shim'd buckets)

how did you check the plugs??irridium plugs do not like to be gapped or cleaned........also did you check the valve clearance's if they are wrong you will get a miss....(yes you can adjust them...you buy shim'd buckets)

hi there,

the plugs were replaced so new plugs and in all honesty im unsure on the valve clearances as the head was sent to be totally refurbished, so i paid for the work to all be done.

we have noticed when it was put back together after the head was refurbed when you get the miss you get like a click (it is a slight sound) could this be the valve clearance your refering to?

the guy who refurbed the head has been in the game for 20 plus years and came well reccommended but could he have missed something?

is it possible that the piston could be tapping the valve back into place? would that cause this kind of miss? and if this is the case then would the head refurbisher be at fault?

im trying to avoid taking the head off again for the third time as it means more gaskets bolts etc etc and this is expensive enough as it is!

thanks for your help so far

it is very appreciated

cheers

he has replaced all the coils and all the sparkplugs......

check the valve clearance's mate had this problem at the garage a few times....and the head doesn't neet to come off for that....but yes the wrong valve clearance's can make all sorts of weird noises!!that would be my first port of call!!

he has replaced all the coils and all the sparkplugs......

check the valve clearance's mate had this problem at the garage a few times....and the head doesn't neet to come off for that....but yes the wrong valve clearance's can make all sorts of weird noises!!that would be my first port of call!!

ok so thats where ill start then m8 thanks for the help so far and ill keep you posted when ive had a look at the valve clearances.

thanks

well heres the update....... checked the valve clearances and they were fine, re checked the timing again just to be sure, re checked sparks and coils again all ok.... so at this point was still head scratching and ready to take a match to it, so put it all back together again and struck it up and was still the same but no engine management light now but still struggling to reach 3000 revs and still missing.

so finally at 5 to 5 and three months and five days of taking this car apart like a lego set,

we dropped one side of the exhaust off and started the car up and low and behold the car struck up run like a dream and revved straight to 4000 revs no problems, (although did sound like a small tank..!!)

problem was a collapsed cat!!

cant believe it was finally that simple.

needless to say i hate lexus with a passion and never want to see the inside of the engine bay again..... anyone wanna but a is200 with full engine rebuild three times and a nice shiny new cat...lol

thank you all for your help,

cheers

i dont think i helped at all but congratulations all the same - must be lovely to have finally cracked it at last,well done for persevering with it - welcome to the club mate-youll be the one giving out advice now seeing as you are so good at taking them to bits and puttin em back together -

10/10 for effort - get yourself a celebratory beer , hope it gives you some pleasure in the future

well heres the update....... checked the valve clearances and they were fine, re checked the timing again just to be sure, re checked sparks and coils again all ok.... so at this point was still head scratching and ready to take a match to it, so put it all back together again and struck it up and was still the same but no engine management light now but still struggling to reach 3000 revs and still missing.

so finally at 5 to 5 and three months and five days of taking this car apart like a lego set,

we dropped one side of the exhaust off and started the car up and low and behold the car struck up run like a dream and revved straight to 4000 revs no problems, (although did sound like a small tank..!!)

problem was a collapsed cat!!

cant believe it was finally that simple.

needless to say i hate lexus with a passion and never want to see the inside of the engine bay again..... anyone wanna but a is200 with full engine rebuild three times and a nice shiny new cat...lol

thank you all for your help,

cheers

I know how you feel. Years ago had a Rover 2.6 that started to shake like a jelly at 1800 rpm. To keep a long story of expensive investigations and fruitless replacement parts short, the problem turned out to be the stop on the dipstick (which was just a circlip) working down its length, causing me to overfill with oil enough that the big-ends dipped into it. It just needed the excess oil draining off! When you have found this sort of problem; you feel such a fool and have a big hole in your bank balance to prove it. You just have to put it down to experience - but sadly will never come across it again!