Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Whirring Sound When Changing Down Gear

Hi everyone, had my IS220d 3 weeks now. Its back to Lexus today for broken lock on back door (door wont open from inside), rattling center console and the transmission is making a stange noise when changing down. Any ideas?

I mainly notice it when selecting 1st when the car is still moving slowly like when approaching a junction. The same sound can be heard if I dip the clutch and let the car coast in 1st. Sound stops when car comes to a standstill or when I let the clutch out so the gear engages.

They also told me another recall had just been announced so they are doing that also - ECU upgrade for particulate filter.

• 2 months later...

hi, i've exactly the same noise from mycar...expecially in second and first gear (when changin down and when the engine is warm).

My lexus dealer said it's a normal noise from the trasmission because there is too much torque (400nm) to tolerate...

i don't know if it's true or not...let me know if your dealer repairs your car or not!

• 2 weeks later...

hi, i've exactly the same noise from mycar...expecially in second and first gear (when changin down and when the engine is warm).

My lexus dealer said it's a normal noise from the trasmission because there is too much torque (400nm) to tolerate...

i don't know if it's true or not...let me know if your dealer repairs your car or not!

Hi

My dealer took the gearbox out and fixed it. It was the gear syncro. 1st and 2nd use the same syncro. Mine was done under warranty. I don't believe the torque story - your foot is off the pedal when changing gear so there is very little torque going through the gearbox. It's a big job. Mine was in for 3 days. I think the have to drop the engine out to get to and remove the gearbox. They inspected every gear and replaced 5th aswell which didn't make any noise. It still makes a slight noise but is better than before. They gave me a 10 plate model withy 4K on the clock and even that did it slightly. By slight I mean a quiet whine. If yours is very loud try a different dealer especially if its under warranty. If out of warranty I personally would leave if the car drives fine as 3 full days labour at Lexus rates is gonna hurt. You can get it sorted later on if it developes into something more serious. Its hard to enjoy your old car after driving the 10 plate car as the gearbox has been reworked - much smoother and not clunky like my 57 plate.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links