Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Rx300 Series 2 - Multimedia Console

Hello all

I have just purchased as 2003 series 2 RX300. It is in great shape other than the multimedia console - the chap who owned it before me cleaned it with something abrasive and corrosive and it has made the perspex over the lcd display cloudy, and the laquer come off the buttons. I have found a replacement unit on eBay for £595 (used) 2, questions - is £595 a fair price?? And would it be easy (DIY) to remove the old unit and put in a new one. It would appear the connections are all ISO blocks??? Any hints or tips on how to remove would be greatly received. Thanks in advance - Rich

Hello all

I have just purchased as 2003 series 2 RX300. It is in great shape other than the multimedia console - the chap who owned it before me cleaned it with something abrasive and corrosive and it has made the perspex over the lcd display cloudy, and the laquer come off the buttons. I have found a replacement unit on ebay for £595 (used) 2, questions - is £595 a fair price?? And would it be easy (DIY) to remove the old unit and put in a new one. It would appear the connections are all ISO blocks??? Any hints or tips on how to remove would be greatly received. Thanks in advance - Rich

I take it you do just mean the radio/cd player, rather than the navigation screen too?

Its a very simple job once you know how. Google and you shall find (I'm not sure I want to present this kind of info on the internet myself, so a PM would be better). If you look for instructions on how to install an iPod kit, such as the Vaistech SLi, you will find out how it is done.

£595 sounds reasonable I suppose, as the only alternative is a dealer and I'm sure it would cost more. Why not call a dealer parts department to get the as new price? If it is not too different, you may get a guarantee as well as knowing that it is brand new and unmarked. Some cars have the Mark Levinson system as opposed to the basic system - which do you have?

• 3 weeks later...

Hello all

I have just purchased as 2003 series 2 RX300. It is in great shape other than the multimedia console - the chap who owned it before me cleaned it with something abrasive and corrosive and it has made the perspex over the lcd display cloudy, and the laquer come off the buttons. I have found a replacement unit on ebay for £595 (used) 2, questions - is £595 a fair price?? And would it be easy (DIY) to remove the old unit and put in a new one. It would appear the connections are all ISO blocks??? Any hints or tips on how to remove would be greatly received. Thanks in advance - Rich

I take it you do just mean the radio/cd player, rather than the navigation screen too?

Its a very simple job once you know how. Google and you shall find (I'm not sure I want to present this kind of info on the internet myself, so a PM would be better). If you look for instructions on how to install an iPod kit, such as the Vaistech SLi, you will find out how it is done.

£595 sounds reasonable I suppose, as the only alternative is a dealer and I'm sure it would cost more. Why not call a dealer parts department to get the as new price? If it is not too different, you may get a guarantee as well as knowing that it is brand new and unmarked. Some cars have the Mark Levinson system as opposed to the basic system - which do you have?

You can just change the screen on these units i would look for a screen part number is on the back of the screen. I would also get a price from dealer for a screen as you may find its cheaper than £595. As for getting to the old unit out very easy job just four bolts. I may be too late with this.

Regards

Eddie