Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Trading 2002 Is200 For 2007 Is220D, Is It Worth?

Hello,

I am torn trying to decide if I should trade in my 2002 IS200 (104K on it) for a 2007 IS220d (65K on it). My IS200 has given me zero problems in the last 8 years (talk about reliability). All I had done in the car was to change the oil regularly and do the required inspections/maintenance.

Now I am faced with the situation of having to drive almost 100 miles each day, and the IS200 fuel bill at month's end is rather high, so I am on the market for a diesel car.

I was seriously thinking to trade in my car as part of the payment on a 2007 IS220d. I love the IS looks and interior, but I am concerned with the 220d being the first Lexus car with a diesel engine. Reading some of the comments in the forum regarding issues with poor MPG performance, faulty 5th injector, dashboard rattling noises, etc; all that negative info has scared me into going forward with the deal.

I was hoping some other forum members who have had experience with both cars and could give me some feedback regarding if they are happy with the IS220d.

Many thanks in advance to all that respond!

Hello,

I am torn trying to decide if I should trade in my 2002 IS200 (104K on it) for a 2007 IS220d (65K on it). My IS200 has given me zero problems in the last 8 years (talk about reliability). All I had done in the car was to change the oil regularly and do the required inspections/maintenance.

Now I am faced with the situation of having to drive almost 100 miles each day, and the IS200 fuel bill at month's end is rather high, so I am on the market for a diesel car.

I was seriously thinking to trade in my car as part of the payment on a 2007 IS220d. I love the IS looks and interior, but I am concerned with the 220d being the first Lexus car with a diesel engine. Reading some of the comments in the forum regarding issues with poor MPG performance, faulty 5th injector, dashboard rattling noises, etc; all that negative info has scared me into going forward with the deal.

I was hoping some other forum members who have had experience with both cars and could give me some feedback regarding if they are happy with the IS220d.

dont do it, nice cars but there are a lot better diesel engines out there

I have to disagree. I traded in my 53 plate Shogun for a 2007 (57) IS220d for the same reason mpg's. Sp far I have only had a problem with rattling in the drivers door. I phoned Lexus who booked it in and put it right, all within a couple of days.

Economy isn't the best for its size but it has great performance, and if the turbo is timed right it pulls like a train. I average about 35mpg round town and around 44mpg on a run, that is driving it enthusiastically.

I looked at BMW's, and Audis, both I found bland, I considered a Mercedes but they were too pricey. For what you get with a 220d I think it offers the best bang for your bucks.

The only real niggle I have is with the long range gearing, it takes some getting used to and 6th gear is almost redundant unless going over 75mph. Other than that I think it is a great car.

You want a diesel??? Look elsewhere mate- the VAG group cars, BMW, Merc, PSA etc diesel units are better than the offering from Lexus.

Have you considered a Honda Accord 2.2CDTI? If I was in the market for a Jap diesel then I would get the Accord- it's a very good car (we have one in the family fleet).

I don't have experience of the diesel, but numerous posts over the last year or so that I have been following this forum express dissatisfaction with the mpg and gearing. I guess the best way is to take one on a test drive and see how you feel with it.

I have the IS250 and it is a superb vehicle. I don't pay much attention to the mpg but many posters have indicated that it is no worse than the 220d, and the auto box is a dream. Have a test drive in one of them too.

Good luck and let us know what you decide.

Hello,

You wont like the roughness and crudeness of the 220D's drive after an IS200. If you have to go for diesel for economy, consider Toyota or Ford which are at least as good but cheaper - or BMW which may be better if just as expensive. You wont lose out on prestige, because alone amongst all Lexuses, the IS220D doesn't have any. Where the IS200 was introduced as a small, smooth and sophisticated quality car to complement their range of larger models; the IS220D was a cut-back (more or less cheapo) version of the second generation smaller car - the IS250 - aimed to penetrate the Company Car Market. It is good and has its fans; but it is not great and the Lexus diesel concept has not been followed up at all. Other manufacturers have continued to develop diesels with better results both in terms of driveability and economy.

Agree with the comments above, if you want a diesel go for a BMW - they make the Lexus look silly in terms of economy and performance, plus I believe they're more refined.

But you could look at the IS250 auto, will get improved economy compared to the IS200 and tons of silky smoothness to go with it.

bit off the topic, but if the MPG is your main reason for the change, I would suggest you an alternative:

get your is200 part exchange to a 04 or 05 Auto IS200SE or sports, and LPG the car after you had it for a month (just to make sure you complete happen with it and give you some time to look around for the conversion)

You will get 50+ MPG (money equivalent ) and much less pollution. + curse control for you motor way daily runs.

220D is not the best idea for you in my view.

Good luck

Felix

If it is not too late to add something, I traded my trusty old 200 sport (manual)for a 250 SEL /mm auto last February. I loved the old 200 but would never, ever, choose to go back to a manual transmission. Manuals are such hard work once you have ben spoiled by having the car do it for you (and doing it better, faster, more smoothly, etc into the bargain). Of course the 250 offers semi-auto mode that can be useful in difficult conditions (eg to lock it down into seconed or third)so you can have the best of both worlds. I expect that some will disagree. I used to be one of them, but no longer, and certainly not with a 250, where the road tax on a manual is so much higher

I would also consider the cost of changing against IS200 fuel economy. You know you have a very reliable car which is depreciating at a snail's pace and is in Band K. I agree with the comments re the excellence of German diesels but beware the dreaded run flats on BMW's. They cost £200 a pop and the ride is awful.

I would also consider the cost of changing against IS200 fuel economy. You know you have a very reliable car which is depreciating at a snail's pace and is in Band K. I agree with the comments re the excellence of German diesels but beware the dreaded run flats on BMW's. They cost £200 a pop and the ride is awful.

Having just swapped out of a 220d and into a BMW 320d, I wouldn't say the ride is awful - firm yes - but they're know for that. Fortunately mine's a company car so the cost of tyres isn't an issue.

There are pro's and con's to every car purchase, but if you are buying purely on economy, the Beemer beats the Lexus hands down. If you want toys and comfy surroundings whilst you drive, the Lexus is the one to have. You have to compromise on something...

If it was a personal purchase, I'd go for the 250 petrol everytime - had a few whilst mine was being serviced, the complete dog's B's.

Hi, have you thought of a GS 450h? all the toys, goes really well, great economy and low RFL. Mine is hitting 36mpg of every fill up. Last time it was in for service they lent me a 220d, quite horrid and I could not get it to 40mpg even driving like a vicar.

Got to say though the 300 Sportcross is still the best drive, it feels proper without all the computers running the show.

Good luck with your decision, will watch with interest.

Got to say though the 300 Sportcross is still the best drive, it feels proper without all the computers running the show.

I can also say the same with my IS200- it also feels proper without all the computers running the show.

I test drove a GS450h recently and I would agree with your comments- I'm seriously considering replacing my 10 year old IS200 with a used GS450h. I'm also swaying towards a used E60 535D M Sport or a used Mercedes (W211) E320CDI Sport.

you avoid those cars with lorry engines, buy a hybrid and feel that grin spreading all over your face. I drive about 60K PA, always had a diesel but never again !!!

Like someone suggested, I think I am going to stick to my IS200 for the time being and suck it up with the gasoline cost. The price the dealer is willing to give me in the IS200 is way to low. I understand his position for the low offer, but the car has not let me down once in 8 years, and rather than getting burnt with the IS220D, I am going to ride my IS200 for some more time.

Right now it has 104K, apart from the normal 15/30K oil change and full inspections, should I expect any major mechanical maintenance costs in the next 60K?

PD. I am living in Continental Europe, so those numbers represent kms not miles.

Hello,

I traded in my late 2001 IS200 against a late 2007 IS220D. As my IS200 was in pristine condition, I got a cracking price, and it sold on the forecourt a week later. (whoever got it got a cracking car!). My IS220D is wonderful. It's a different drive altogether, and yes Ihave experienced the very minor niggles that are listed. My local Lexus dealership fixed all the problems, very quickly, no quibble under warranty, and with great Customer Focus. Yes there are some who escalate these problems to an order of magnitude which can be worrying, but IMHO, they are minor, and I think you'll find that almost every make model has niggles of some sort. I think you should go ahead, and am confident you'll be happy. As far as MPG is concerned, I get between 38MPG and 49 MPG, and that is under normal driving conditions and not driving like a pensioner.

Col...msn-wink.gifhehe.gif

Like someone suggested, I think I am going to stick to my IS200 for the time being and suck it up with the gasoline cost. The price the dealer is willing to give me in the IS200 is way to low. I understand his position for the low offer, but the car has not let me down once in 8 years, and rather than getting burnt with the IS220D, I am going to ride my IS200 for some more time.

Right now it has 104K, apart from the normal 15/30K oil change and full inspections, should I expect any major mechanical maintenance costs in the next 60K?

PD. I am living in continental Europe, so those numbers represent kms not miles.

I'd go with your decision- spend a bit more £££ at the pumps and keep the IS200. The cost to change will be a big factor in your decision?

My IS200 is almost 10 years old and its done 136k, you shouldn't expereince any major mechanical worries (just regular servicing, wear and tear etc), although I did replace the front shocks on mine last year (@120k)- they were leaking. So this is one area you might want to keep an eye on.