Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Hi everyone.

The rear left hand cigarette lighter on my 1998 LS400 doesn't work. I think I overloaded it by using a tyre inflator but cannot find a fuse for it.

Any help appreciated. :D

As far as I can tell from the wiring diagram both rear lighters are on the same fuse.

If they are like the GS ones, they also have a fuse wire built into the socket itself. If you remove the socket, you will see two discs, seperated by a fibre disc and a wire bridging the two metalic discs. This is the fuse wire. You can just remove the fibre disc and it will then work again (albeit with no fuse function built in). Works a charm.

If they are like the GS ones, they also have a fuse wire built into the socket itself. If you remove the socket, you will see two metal discs bolted together, seperated by a fibre disc and a wire bridging the two metalic discs. This is the fuse wire. You can just remove the fibre disc and re-tighten the bolt and it will then work again (albeit with no fuse function built in). Works a charm.

The socket in my dash happily charges mobile satnav but refuses to work the cigar lighter. The same lighter works fine in the rear door sockets. Therefore it might be the socket that has a fault relative to the lighter.

You let your passengers smoke in the back of your LS?Did it stop working when you were using the tyre inflator or since using it?

The rear left hand cigarette stopped working while I was using the tyre inflator. It would be nice to have it working for an electric coolbox.

Hi everyone.The rear left hand cigarette lighter on my 1998 LS400 doesn't work. I think I overloaded it by using a tyre inflator but cannot find a fuse for it.Any help appreciated. :D
As far as I can tell from the wiring diagram both rear lighters are on the same fuse.

I can only find a fuse marked right rear lighter. There apparently isn't a fuse in the fuseboxes for the left rear lighter. The right rear fuse is ok.

They only work while the engine is running you know. Sorry if that was too obvious.

I am aware that the cigarette lighters only work with the engine running. Front and right rear work fine.

If they are like the GS ones, they also have a fuse wire built into the socket itself. If you remove the socket, you will see two discs, seperated by a fibre disc and a wire bridging the two metalic discs. This is the fuse wire. You can just remove the fibre disc and it will then work again (albeit with no fuse function built in). Works a charm.

Sounds a possibility, how do I remove the socket?

The socket in my dash happily charges mobile satnav but refuses to work the cigar lighter. The same lighter works fine in the rear door sockets. Therefore it might be the socket that has a fault relative to the lighter.

I think it is the socket that has the fault since the lighter works in any other socket. But I can't find a fuse for it.

Sounds a possibility, how do I remove the socket?

No idea specifically for the LS, or even where they are located in the LS. On the GS, either by removing the ashtray (which contains the lighter) or the trim panel with the lighter on it.

Lexus, realising that

a/smoking while driving is a Motoring/safety offence, and

b/ also a health hazard that could involve being sued for child exposure to smoke etc,

sent out a radio signal via satellite that was picked up by all Lexuses' computers, and disconnected the lighter function.

Magically, all other functions will still work. (i.e. the push-in lighter thingy won't function. it works on the electrical load )

1/4/09 Amendment date