Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Wheel Shudder

rax

Hi, I have a 5 year old 51000 miles sc430 . I have always maintained and serviced it with the local main agent.

It has never had and front end damage and lately has developed a real vibrating shudder at speed between 40 - 80 mph.

Wheel bearings / balancing / track rod ends / new brakes / new tyres in short all the usual suspects have been examined / replaced. Tyre fitters / mechanics all are at a loss as to what the problem is and therefore how to rectify it.

If anyone out there has had a similar problem and or can offer advice , I shall be most grateful.

Many thanks

Rax

• 4 weeks later...

hi , just have alook at the braking pots, sometimes they wear unevenly and if they stick slightly out of position this willl cause vibration. this can happen infrequently or frequently its a devil to source sometimes.

• 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...

You will be surprised just how many places (including dealers) do not know how to balance wheels correctly.

Lexus cars seem particularly susceptible to vibration from wheels that are not perfectly balanced.

I spent a fortune in my GS replacing parts, getting the geo done and had the wheels balanced more times than I can remember by at least 10 different places (including 2 Lexus dealers) and never solved the vibration

I then took my car to Lexus Derby - and they did the trick - car felt so amazing smooth.

A few months later I needed new tyres - bought them online - drove to Lexus Derby - they fitted and balanced perfectly and again no vibration. All was fine until some idiot pulled out on me on dual carriageway and wrote my GS off - I've now got an SC and Lexus Derby will get a visit from me shortly to balance my tyres ;)

• 2 months later...

Hi Rax

Were you able to find a solution to your wheel judder?

I have a '52 plate SC430 and drove beautifully on the original Lexus wheels but I recently bought brand new aftermarket alloys/tyres and now have this annoying wheel judder at 50-60mph also. A tyre fitter has re-balanced the wheels twice for me but still the judder won't disappear.

Any suggestions?

Tony

Hi, I have a 5 year old 51000 miles sc430 . I have always maintained and serviced it with the local main agent.

It has never had and front end damage and lately has developed a real vibrating shudder at speed between 40 - 80 mph.

Wheel bearings / balancing / track rod ends / new brakes / new tyres in short all the usual suspects have been examined / replaced. Tyre fitters / mechanics all are at a loss as to what the problem is and therefore how to rectify it.

If anyone out there has had a similar problem and or can offer advice , I shall be most grateful.

Many thanks

Rax

Just in case.....have your new wheels got the correct centre diameter to fit snugly on the hub? Aftermarket wheels often have larger centres, which need spigot rings to achieve the hub location. The studs are to hold the wheel on the hub, it's the hub that keeps things centralised.

• 4 weeks later...

I had exactly the same problem on an Audi fitted with after market wheels. As Andy says, the centre hole in the wheel - the Boss - centres the wheel in line with the axle, not the studs. Many after market wheel manufacturers make the Boss big enough for the largest car the wheels might go on. They then supply different spacer rings with an outside diameter equal to the Boss size and the inside diameter to suit various cars. If the installer forgets to fit the spacer, or uses the wrong spacer, the wheel rotates in a elliptical orbit that manifests itself as a nasty vibration at certain speeds.