Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Brake Caliper

TommyH

Hi folks, ive just heard a rubbing noise coming from the passenger side front wheel. On further inspection ( touching the disc and scolding my finger) it looks like the front caliper is sticking on.

Would i be able to free the caliper by just pushing it back in or is their something else i need to do ie getting a new one or refurbing the old one ?

Thanks.

How would i know if the seals had gone ?

Would their be brake fluid around the caliper ?

Thanks

no mate the seal that goes is the weather seal around the piston so what happens is the water gets in and makes the piston corrod which makes it seize.

so no you wont find brake fluid...

Ah right mate, so the only way to tell is if you can fry eggs on your disc like mine :crybaby:

you have 2 places were they could seize.........the pistons(two of them)normally the bottom one that goes...

or the caliper slides(two of them)

to check..

remove the wheel remove the 14mm bolt on the bottom of the caliper and flip the caliper up now try to push the bottom slide in with your fingers if it goes in and out its fine........the top one will be fine if it wasnt you wouldnt be able to flip the caliper up...

now get a big pair of grips or a g clamp and try to push the piston back if it wont go you need to recon it or get a new one....

Tommy take it back to the nice guy who copperslipped everything for you,he seemed very reasonable and good at his job ,,, ask him to have a look at your pistons , he might be able to do the old trick of when the caliper is off operate the pedal until the pistons are exposed hopefully showing a build up of crud on one which stops it sliding back properly and using emery cloth or similar clean off said crud to allow the piston to retract a tiny bit - he will know what i mean,might save you a full refurb

yeah but it can go horribly wrong - if youve got a big build up of crud on your pistons you have to put a block of wood or similar in the caliper and use the brake pedal to open the pistons out till enough is showing to clean the piston up with emery cloth,then it should slide back ok - i would imagine your piston wont go back cos its siezed up with crap which is giving youy the hot brakes-as if they are on all the time-quite often a piston wont go back but will come out as the inner part is usually debris free due to the seals etc - the risky part is if it pops out as you are never quite sure how long or deep the piston is - if you force it back in with crud all over it you will most likely damage the seals and need a refurb - a refurb kit shouldnt be too much money or hard to do just the aggro of car being unusable meanwhile

Managed to get the pistons back in mate. But it's still rubbing when i brake, pistons not going back in. My MOT is due on Friday so i may just get the guy to do the piston whilst its in.

I think ive solved the problem. Went a wee run and passenger disc is not any hotter than the drivers side, both calipers are cold where as yesterday the calpiper was roasting.

The only thing is, my brake pedal is very spongie and i have to press the brake alot harder than before.

When i asked the question about the bleeding nipple i had already loosened it :blush: so will i have to bleed the brakes now ?

ha ha , well done for gettin it back together tommy , yup sounds like you will need a bit of bleeding-did you clean the piston up or just shove it back in ?

Just banged it back in mate. Was too scared to try anything else :unsure:

Just need to get it bled and it's all good i hope.

Anyway im off to the gym to get rid of some of this stresssssssss :angry:

Thanks for your advise Nick.

Much appreciated mate.

Hi folks, ive just heard a rubbing noise coming from the passenger side front wheel. On further inspection ( touching the disc and scolding my finger) it looks like the front caliper is sticking on.

Would i be able to free the caliper by just pushing it back in or is their something else i need to do ie getting a new one or refurbing the old one ?

Thanks.

Disks should be hot shouldn't they?

Not as hot as this one mate. I actually got a blister on my finger touching it.

The caliper was really hot aswell. When i jacked the car up the wheel wouldnt turn freely.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links