Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Is300 - Updating Sat Nav System And Cd Unit

Hi

We have just purchased a 2004 IS300 Crossover which comes with the original Sat Nav and CD player (working at the moment). We would like to update the Sat Nav to make it touchscreen and we would also like a double din unit down below while retaining the original look as much as possible - i.e. factory fitted. I have read lots of threads and seen various different updates but I would like to ask a few questions before I go to my local installation companies to make sure I get what I need.

I am new to the world of sat nav as this is my first car in 6 years. Is it safer to have the Sat Nav where it is, i.e. high up on the dash? Or is it perfectly safe to have a unit where the original cd player sits? I only ask this because I am wondering whether I need to replace both units as I would imagine this will have a significant effect on the cost.

I doubt very much that I will use the Sat Nav much, it is something that my partner will heavily rely on - therefore I would like to be able have the Sat Nav off while using the unit below. Is it possible to get the unit on the dash to be just a Sat Nav or will it also need to be all singing and dancing multimedia centre?

Do I need to replace the speakers/amp? Only the front speakers going forward will be used as the dog doesn't like our taste in music.

Any help on this topic is gratefully received as I am a total newbie on this topic. I also realise that this is something that will not be cheap.

I have done some more research. It looks like it would be best if I have the head unit where the original CD player is and the Sat Nav out is sent to a second slave screen where the original Sat Nav sits.

Does anyone know if it is possible to output just the sav nav. All the specs I have read on units such as the Alpine, Kenwood and Pioneer suggest that they can output video (i.e. to the rear screens) but they do not mention sat nav.

Many thanks for any help on this.

Just to clarify, you're looking to completely replace the standard system, or retain the OEM satnav but replace the headunit?

I'm pretty sure you can have the satnav output on the screen above though, and yeah I'd definitely have the nav screen up high as it makes it much easier to look at while driving.

I am flexible on what I do. However I think I will need to replace the old OEM unit as it is now quite out of date and I don't think I can add postcode functionality to it unless I am mistaken.

So I think the solution I will be looking at is new head unit with CD/DVD/Sat Nav/Freeview/Reversing camera. Dashboard Sat nav screen driven by the head unit. I think it will be more than adequate to control the sat nav from the head unit, i.e. the screen on top will just be a screen. Also my arms are not that long!

I am flexible on what I do. However I think I will need to replace the old OEM unit as it is now quite out of date and I don't think I can add postcode functionality to it unless I am mistaken.

So I think the solution I will be looking at is new head unit with CD/DVD/Sat Nav/Freeview/Reversing camera. Dashboard Sat nav screen driven by the head unit. I think it will be more than adequate to control the sat nav from the head unit, i.e. the screen on top will just be a screen. Also my arms are not that long!

Yep you can't add post code search to the satnav. That sounds like a pretty decent set up you'll have there once it's sorted, and I think it's exactly the right way round for the controls to be with the main headunit, and the top screen to just be a screen to display stuff. What are you thinking of going with? My sis has a Kenwood unit in her car which I must admit is brilliant, the only downside for me is I find the Garmin mapping not that great to look at, but functionally it's faultless.

Yep you can't add post code search to the satnav. That sounds like a pretty decent set up you'll have there once it's sorted, and I think it's exactly the right way round for the controls to be with the main headunit, and the top screen to just be a screen to display stuff. What are you thinking of going with? My sis has a Kenwood unit in her car which I must admit is brilliant, the only downside for me is I find the Garmin mapping not that great to look at, but functionally it's faultless.

Not sure really. I want decent sound above anything else. I hate using Sat Nav and refuse to have it on. I think it makes us dangerous drivers but then again I don't have a problem reading a map or a set of directions unlike my significant other. I plan on listening to the different units before spending the cash however I think to get decent sound I will probably have to replace the speakers and maybe the amp too.

Is there a particular make of system that has better sound/vision or does it vary between the different models?

Not sure really. I want decent sound above anything else. I hate using Sat Nav and refuse to have it on. I think it makes us dangerous drivers but then again I don't have a problem reading a map or a set of directions unlike my significant other. I plan on listening to the different units before spending the cash however I think to get decent sound I will probably have to replace the speakers and maybe the amp too.

Is there a particular make of system that has better sound/vision or does it vary between the different models?

I'm pretty sure that if you go for a big brand (Kenwood/Alpine/Pioneer) you shouldn't have any problems, but a lot of audio guys recommend the Kenwood stuff at the moment. The one we have was recommended and fitted by AutoAudio (well worth a visit if Park Royal's not too far from you), and a Kenwood unit came top in a recent gadget show test as well......LINK

And you're absolutely right, if top sound quality is your goal then you'll need to get a decent set of speakers and amp to go with the headunit.

To keep the OEM satnav working you need this unit that was originally created by a member on here, Fargo. Not sure if he's still active on here but best to try and contact him. Or try eBay as I'm not sure if he was selling them on there.

Is there a link missing there Parthiban?

Sorry, no there wasn't as I have no idea where to get it from. :blush:

It was called "satnav bypass" or something, can't find any on eBay at the mo.

It might be a long shot but may as well try sending Fargo a PM or email......LINK