Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

New Head Unit

Hi Everyone

I have the dreaded Error 1 on my IS200 sport so I am going to replace the built in system with a Kenwood 503 (skint at the mo but don't need anything fancy). Now I have looked on a site http://www.dynamicsounds.co.uk/connects2-ct51lx01-active-system-adaptor-lexus-is200-p-15672.html and they have a cable called CT51-LX01 which allows you to use an aftermarket HU with the built in amp and speakers, is this all I need? Is this the cheapest option?

Cheers

Andy

You will need one of these http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Lexus-200-Series-Amp-Bypass-ISO-Lead-PC2-92-4-/400122934665?cmd=ViewItem&pt=UK_Cars_Parts_Vehicles_Terminals_Cabling_ET&hash=item5d292f7589 & one of these http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Lexus-200-300-Series-Facia-Panel-FP-25-00-Double-Din-/400119707774?cmd=ViewItem&pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_FasciaPlates_SM&hash=item5d28fe387e.

Once you have the head unit out you need to unplug the cable going into the amp, which is to the left behing the glove box and connect the bypass lead to this cable which connects to the head unit.

You will need one of these http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Lexus-200-Series-Amp-Bypass-ISO-Lead-PC2-92-4-/400122934665?cmd=ViewItem&pt=UK_Cars_Parts_Vehicles_Terminals_Cabling_ET&hash=item5d292f7589 & one of these http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Lexus-200-300-Series-Facia-Panel-FP-25-00-Double-Din-/400119707774?cmd=ViewItem&pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_FasciaPlates_SM&hash=item5d28fe387e.

Once you have the head unit out you need to unplug the cable going into the amp, which is to the left behing the glove box and connect the bypass lead to this cable which connects to the head unit.

Now I am confused cause that cable that I mentioned was for using the existing amp and speakers so I don't know why I would need an amp bypass cable ?

He probably hasn't noticed that the cable you've found hooks an aftermarket stereo up to the factory amp. Don't think there's many people running this cable. Most just by-pass the amp & run everything from the new head unit or get a more powerful aftermarket amp.

Be interesting to see what you think of this set up.

Hi there, i'll chip in with what i make of the lead advertised.

From ad-

This adapter allows an aftermarket head unit to be installed, whilst maintaining the factory fitted amplified system. This adapter is designed to match the correct impedance of the vehicles speaker system.

This tells me that the lexus amp will still be in use (thats how i read that sentence anyway)

From ad (the enlarged attached pic)-

2. Remove the larger of the 2 plugs from amplifier

3. Plug this lead into the adapter

This is by-passing the amp, plugging the LEAD into the ADAPTER, maybe i'm reading the ad wrong, or it is not very well written, but to me it looks like this is a "amp by-pass cable" just made by connects2 and not autoleads.

Either way, sure you will let us know when you receive it, and let us know how it sounds.

PS, its the best thing you will ever do is change that stereo, still love mine & it's been in over a year now.

S7002351.jpg

He probably hasn't noticed that the cable you've found hooks an aftermarket stereo up to the factory amp. Don't think there's many people running this cable. Most just by-pass the amp & run everything from the new head unit or get a more powerful aftermarket amp.

Be interesting to see what you think of this set up.

Yeap , sorry didnt notice that, as said not many have gone this route and will just bypass the amp

I agree with deckie77. the ad states that you disconnect the cables in the amp and then use that cable to connect the stero this to me is by passing.

Also I don't think it would work right if an aftemarket headunit was connected direct to the amp as most aftermarket headunit have their own in built amp that powers the speakers so not sure how it would work with a double amp set up would think it might blow the speakers

This type of set up will convert the speaker out to an RCA. An Australian guy on the Altezza club forums was the first I saw to set his system up like this. He didn't buy a loom but made it himself. You wont blow your speakers LOL (I've got @125W going into my factory front speakers & they're still alive, surprisingly. Got to get my Rainbow components in there one day)

This type of set up will convert the speaker out to an RCA. An Australian guy on the Altezza club forums was the first I saw to set his system up like this. He didn't buy a loom but made it himself. You wont blow your speakers LOL  (I've got @125W going into my factory front speakers & they're still alive, surprisingly. Got to get my Rainbow components in there one day)

Right, sent an email off to the firm that is selling this cable and their head technician has emailed me back saying it is indeed just a bypass cable, so the wording of the advert is very misleading

so I am just gonna get the stereo (found JVC 2 x din for £109, Audio Facia + amp bypass cable

cheers for all the help guys :)

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links