Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Fuel Consumption (Uk)

Well I spend £40 a week on fuel and I get 250 miles out of £40 worth of fuel. This is driving in stop/start traffic. Mine's a manual IS200.

Felix, yours is a auto, but yes I am surprised by the MPG I get. Guess its worthwhile using OEM service parts even though my car is 10 years old and has done 136k?

I had expected to use approx £65 a week to fill her up. My civic does 30mpg and that is £45 to fill up from empty

Because you are used to a peaky engine like the Civic, your mpg could start quite a lot worse until you get used to the IS200 seemingly more relaxed, less nippy characteristics. Even so, it will still probably remain a bit worse simply because the IS200 is bigger and heavier. Nevertheless, unless you drive like every journey is a Grand Prix, you should manage 30ish mpg for your 40 mile daily journey. I you don't, and assuming the car is fault-free (and it probably is), glance at the little instantaneous mpg indicator as you accelerate/change gear. It isn't accurate, but good enough to tell you how to modify your driving to improve mpg without losing out on pace. Also feel your wheels when you get to work to see if the brakes are hot - if they are, you are using fuel to keep up speed until braking at the last minute, throwing away energy you have just used up in petrol. Easing off earlier and then braking more gently can have huge advantages in mpg.

Just a quick one regarding the post above dont actually touch your brake disc otherwise you will burn yourself....easy way al be it a bit crude is to spit on the disc.....if your spit frazzles and steams into nothing in a second they are hot haha

I get between 25-28 in my manual sport, in a mix of stop start and dual carriageways.

its all about driving smooth, and i never really make an "anal" effort to maintain a decent MPG. If its hot i put the air con and if i wanna go some i give it some revs.

but it always annoys me when i see these people with their foot to their floor right up until they're on top of a roundabout, you should leave it in gear and just take your foot off for a couple of hundred yards before, and when you do this every day you'll soon see a big difference in your driving and fuel bills! smooth is the key !

I use my car to commute everyday - I spend about £50 a week on fuel

• 2 weeks later...

Hi ,Just for a bit more info,I have had my is200 sportcross for 6 months now and decided to keep an accurate fuel record .Over the last 4000 miles I have averaged 31.36 mpg. A lot of these miles ( probably 70% ) are on motorways and I don,t always drive like a pensioner :winky: so I,m well pleased with the result.

To give you an idea of what i get , the other day a friend asked me for a lift to pick up a new/2nd hand car from kent but so i brimmed my tank as we set off which cost me £26 for the 92 miles of town/non economy minded normal driving i had done - then i cruised to kent at a steady 70mph where applicable and back - the return journey came to 152 miles at which point i rebrimmed the tank at the same petrol station for £22 - not sure if it helps at all but they are accurate examples of what to expect mpg wise,mines an auto and fsh

Excellent example of life with an IS200. Around town or driving enthusiastically the mpg is definitely poor. On a long motorway run, driven gently, the mpg is excellent for such a refined car.

thanks ken - for what its worth i put slick 50 in mine a while back which really improved mpg figures which were after spending a lot of money on servicing at lexus truly quite terrible especiallly on a run when you would expect to see a big difference - plus i dont use cruise control much anymore,not sure if that is a major factor on a run mpg wise but it could be as it doesnt anticipate traffic or hills as well as a human brain maybe - so Timmy you could realistically get 180 miles or less if you drive round town enthusiastically for £50 or maybe 320 miles plus on a run cruising at the speed limit