Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Headgasket

jackhunt

Hi,

I have a 10 year old IS200 which I've had for a year and love. Yesterday steam started to come out of the bonnet, pulled over, called AA who came and said the headgasket has gone. Can anybody give me any advice on what to do and estimation of cost to get it fixed?

Many thanks in advance, Cheers

Hi,

I have a 10 year old IS200 which I've had for a year and love. Yesterday steam started to come out of the bonnet, pulled over, called AA who came and said the headgasket has gone. Can anybody give me any advice on what to do and estimation of cost to get it fixed?

hi,sorry about your headgasket going,i would seek a 2nd opinion and if it really is your h/gasket it wont be a cheap job as you are looking a a few hundred quid.

Steam coming out the bonnet can be casued by more than just a HG failure.

Was the temperature going up before hand? Is there oil in the water or water in the oil (check the oil cap for a foamy white residue)

• 2 weeks later...

Hi,

hi,sorry about your headgasket going,i would seek a 2nd opinion and if it really is your h/gasket it wont be a cheap job as you are looking a a few hundred quid.

Hi many thanks for the replies, I just replied to another thread as new to forum and not got the hang of it yet :blush:

I have had a secone opinion and the mechanic i know well said he doesn't think it has gone and that the test was wrong, i have been driving it around in periods of up to an hour and it seems fine???

My question now is, how reliable is the test that told me my head gasket had gone by turning some water green?

I'm due to drive 250 miles next week and am not sure what to do. Any more help is appreciatted

Thanks

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links