Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Hi,

I am still not sure whether I should go for a III or IV.

As I understand, the IV has:

- a satnav that I won't need (I have my own portable device) with a 10 year-old touch screen that could, if it fails, hinder the use of other amenities (A/C, sound system),

- a more powerful VVT-i engine,

- a slightly better gas mileage (not sure about that, I have seen contradicting figures),

- more modern looks.

The III has:

- no touch screen, but good old buttons to control everything (both more reliable and cheaper to repair in my mind),

- a good engine that is powerful, not too thirsty for a V8 and that can't be damaged by a snapping cambelt,

- will usually have more mileage, being a few years older.

Am I right?

I will import the car in France and will do 1500 miles highway runs between the south of France and Germany every few weeks. I want the car for comfort and reliability. The car needs to be more than 10 years old for insurance reasons (before 2000 "X" registration), I have a budget of circa 3000 pounds, and may have to consider the price of changing the headlights to Continental right-hand traffic (does anyone knows how much it costs in the UK?).

What would you recommend between Mk III and Mk IV? Are there any pros/cons for one or the other that I don't know?

Thanks for any help/comment.

FrankB

I went through this myself very recently, in the end I let the available car dictate and ended up with a really nice Mk IV with very low miles.

The mk IV's always felt that little bit more powerful, quieter and somehow sat better on the road but either would have been fine.

I looked at a lot of cars (11 or 12 over several months and a lot of miles)different people have very different ideas about what constitutes "good condition" I chose one with an impeccable service history and on which everything worked and had receipts for a lot of recent work, cam belt and suspension etc.

Although there are always between 30-50 cars available on eBay and autotrader when you start to whittle them down based on, too far away, too many miles on the clock, silly price expectations, modified and poor condition etc, there aren't many to choose from.

I was not interested in mk I or II and saw maybe 7 mk IV's have to say not one had a problem with the satnav touch screen.

But check everything, I did find failed electric windows, replacement wing mirrors, bad paint, dented bodywork, worn seat leather, several failed heated seats, no aircon, ropey sounding engines and not a few suspect suspension noises, oil leaks, everything you would expect on any old car really.

Cheers Dave

Hi if you are driving in France & Germany I would recomend you go for the mark 1V as it has traction control, snow mode, stabillity control & speed sensertive power steering.

The mark 111 engine is not a non contact engine the mark 1 & 2 is, I have not heared of problems with the sat nav screen, as such you can pick them up used for £50 to £100.

There is a nice 1998(s) silver one with 105k & full history on eBay at the moment for £2.5 K or offers.

Both the mark 3 & 4s are great cars ( I went through the same thought prosses & ended up with the 1V) good luck Mark

Hi!

dd

I bought my 98 because I wanted the VVTI engine and it has not disappointed. Of course, if you want fewer worries about engine/timing belt you will want to get an earlier model. As for the other considerations: you do get push buttons on the dashboard for the A/C and radio volume, disc player (what you get on the screen is the fine tuning and importantly, as far as I can see, you can only change radio stations via the screen). As mentioned the car is equipped with snow mode, traction control and VSC but I can tell you that running with standard Pirellis (P6000 Powergy) when we had the snow here in England all of these helped very little and I am pretty sure that in France/Germany you would need snow tyres/chains which would probably work as well on any of the LS400s. With the benefit of hindsight I would certainly be looking for one that runs on LPG but that would mean you wouldn't be able to use the Channel Tunnel. Decisions, decisions...

theres no evidence to suggest the touchscreens will be a problem.... so i wouldnt worry about that.... although saying that, there seem to be a fair number of MK4s being broken, so you could buy a spare screen just in case.

my advice is to test drive both models.... see which one you perfer.... personally i think the inside of the MK4 is a nicer place to sit.... so thats what i went with, but you may feel different. If you get a car that has been looked after, and regulaly serviced, you really cant go wrong..... no matter what model you pick

re headlights.... i would suggest you check out eBay.com (the US site).... you should get some idea of what lights will cost.... and remember, you can sell on your UK spec headlights

I have a mkIII and id kill for a MKIV, the mk3 doesn't have a none interference engine thats the 1 and 2, so same cambelt problem but with less poer and gears, but most should of had it replaced you'd be mad not to, if not just knock a tonne of money off there price, Is it the whole head light that needs replaceing or just the glass?

I'd much prefer the mkIV's extra toys and new ness (rust will be a few years behind any mk3)

Have you considered an early LS430?

as someone above said LPG is a great bonus.

The main thing that would put me off buying a Series 3 is the fact that some people have experienced engine stalling immediately after sustained high-speed driving. The 'workaround' is to switch on the a/c (to raise the idle r.p.m.) just before leaving the motorway. I don't know if Toyota ever owned up to this one, let alone issued a fix, so I'd bear this in mind.

I also read something once (affecting only the Series 3) about the alternator being vulnerable to spray/salt from the road, and I think the solution was a special shield - nothing too drastic. Whether Toyota would be willing to pay for such an item so far into the car's life is anyone's guess. Hopefully somebody else will know more about this...

On the subject of recalls generally, just how old does the vehicle have to be before the manufacturer doesn't have to take responsibility for any safety issues that arise? I often wonder this, but nobody seems to be able to tell me!

The main thing that would put me off buying a Series 3 is the fact that some people have experienced engine stalling immediately after sustained high-speed driving. The 'workaround' is to switch on the a/c (to raise the idle r.p.m.) just before leaving the motorway. I don't know if Toyota ever owned up to this one, let alone issued a fix, so I'd bear this in mind.

I also read something once (affecting only the Series 3) about the alternator being vulnerable to spray/salt from the road, and I think the solution was a special shield - nothing too drastic. Whether Toyota would be willing to pay for such an item so far into the car's life is anyone's guess. Hopefully somebody else will know more about this...

/quote]

Interesting. Ive had my MKIII for years and never experienced either of these problems.

I have had a few test drives in the MKIV and found it "light" and somehow less "substantial". One of these had ghastly decals and garish wheels which put me off a bit. I do prefer the more uptodate look of the MKIV hence the reason for fitting clear lenses to mine; it has knocked years off it. In all the MKIV's Ive looked at, none had factory fitted rear sensors nor did any have full towing kit including gearbox cooler. But on balance, if I would probably go for a MKIV.

On the subject of recalls generally, just how old does the vehicle have to be before the manufacturer doesn't have to take responsibility for any safety issues that arise? I often wonder this, but nobody seems to be able to tell me!

about three years if thats how long the warrenty is otherwise less or more depending onm length of warrenty.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi,

- a satnav that I won't need (I have my own portable device) with a 10 year-old touch screen that could, if it fails, hinder the use of other amenities (A/C, sound system),

- a slightly better gas mileage (not sure about that, I have seen contradicting figures),

- more modern looks.

The III has:

- no touch screen, but good old buttons to control everything (both more reliable and cheaper to repair in my mind),

- a good engine that is powerful, not too thirsty for a V8 and that can't be damaged by a snapping cambelt,

Am I right?

I will import the car in France and will do 1500 miles highway runs between the south of France and Germany every few weeks. I want the car for comfort and reliability. The car needs to be more than 10 years old for insurance reasons (before 2000 "X" registration), I have a budget of circa 3000 pounds, and may have to consider the price of changing the headlights to continental right-hand traffic (does anyone knows how much it costs in the UK?).

What would you recommend between Mk III and Mk IV? Are there any pros/cons for one or the other that I don't know?

FrankB

Hi,

- more modern looks.

The III has:

Am I right?

I will import the car in France and will do 1500 miles highway runs between the south of France and Germany every few weeks. I want the car for comfort and reliability. The car needs to be more than 10 years old for insurance reasons (before 2000 "X" registration), I have a budget of circa 3000 pounds, and may have to consider the price of changing the headlights to continental right-hand traffic (does anyone knows how much it costs in the UK?).

FrankB

I imported some LHD LS400 lights from the states that I havnt used if you need some they are for a 1997 mk111

• 2 weeks later...

There's not too many differences in the two and they're both as good as each other. I went for the mark 4 just because it's slightly newer and for the Xenon headlights (they make a big difference). I had a mark 3 for a short time as I bought it to sell to my uncle and thought it was just as good.

There's not too many differences in the two and they're both as good as each other. I went for the mark 4 just because it's slightly newer and for the xenon headlights (they make a big difference). I had a mark 3 for a short time as I bought it to sell to my uncle and thought it was just as good.

I reckon the engine is a little quieter in the mark 3

Everyone who comments on my MKIII remarks as to how quiet the engine sounds and, when I tell them its done 188k, they are gobsmacked.

That mileage is a walk in the park for your LS. It will easily do 600k + I reckon as long as maintained. 188k would scare some people though.

We (Dad had a for sale car) had an IS200 Sport about 8 years ago with approx. 166k on it (mostly motorway) that drove and sound better than my mates new one with only 6k on it.

Everyone who comments on my MKIII remarks as to how quiet the engine sounds and, when I tell them its done 188k, they are gobsmacked.

I agree mines also a 95 and exceptionally quiet 187300 on clock, mileage is not an issue as long as its got good history, most other makes of cars are well tired by these kind of mileages .Ls's are nicely run in lol

steve

I agree mines also a 95 and exceptionally quiet 187300 on clock, mileage is not an issue as long as its got good history, most other makes of cars are well tired by these kind of mileages .Ls's are nicely run in lol

steve

Hi

Have to say i totally agree with steve - mine is a 96 on P pLate with 86 K on the clock. I do mostly town driving with it i am amazed and the how quite the ride is - part of the reason is it i rarely have to rev it over 1500 RPM. In town on a straight road it will do 30 mph with an engine speed of 1000rpm which is extremely quite, smooth and economical on petrol aswell. Had it 3 years and never had any problems with it. Would love upgrade to an LS430 but i keep telling myself with more electrical gizmos theres more to go wrong??? but then again with prices dropping like they are the newer LS are becoming even more desireable - i know one day something will come along and i will like it too much to hold back! but for time being im happy with mine.

miq

steve

Hi

Have to say i totally agree with steve - mine is a 96 on P pLate with 86 K on the clock. I do mostly town driving with it i am amazed and the how quite the ride is - part of the reason is it i rarely have to rev it over 1500 RPM. In town on a straight road it will do 30 mph with an engine speed of 1000rpm which is extremely quite, smooth and economical on petrol aswell. Had it 3 years and never had any problems with it. Would love upgrade to an LS430 but i keep telling myself with more electrical gizmos theres more to go wrong??? but then again with prices dropping like they are the newer LS are becoming even more desireable - i know one day something will come along and i will like it too much to hold back! but for time being im happy with mine.

miq

Hi guys,

The older LS at a low mileage is " rock solid " methinks and the prospect of electrical and other gizmos with a propensity to cause grief and cost mega bucks to put right really does turn me off ( ever ) upgrading from my last of the old model on an " M " plate.

Reading of suspension sensors needing replacement at £1500 a set fills me with foreboding ...... why would one want them anyway !"!! It's just things like that which scare the pants off me when running a car on a private budget and not being ( someone else's ) company expensed.

What's the life of an LS 400 do you reckon ??? :D :hehe: :winky:

Malc

Camping at silverstone over the weekend, i had started the engine on my LS400 to charge my phone and make sure i didn't discharge the Battery doing it, i then moved the car to in front of the tent about 20 mins later my wife asked from in the tent if i wanted the jump leads to start the car, I replied "what the one thats runnign 6 feet from you?" she was very surpised she couldn't hear it, it's done 229k now as well, again a mk3 1995.

I'd still have a mk4 though :)

Hi,

- more modern looks.

The III has:

Am I right?

FrankB

MK2 and keep 2500 quid for repairs

Camping at silverstone over the weekend, i had started the engine on my LS400 to charge my phone and make sure i didn't discharge the Battery doing it, i then moved the car to in front of the tent about 20 mins later my wife asked from in the tent if i wanted the jump leads to start the car, I replied "what the one thats runnign 6 feet from you?" she was very surpised she couldn't hear it, it's done 229k now as well, again a mk3 1995.

hows your phone will discharge car Battery? u barkin mate...

hows your phone will discharge car Battery? u barkin mate...

It discharges the Battery through the basic laws of physics. Just because a car has a relatively massive Battery does not mean running small electrical items off of it does not discharge it. He is not the one that is 'barkin', however seeing the majority of your stupid posts you are most definitely trolling.