Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Bang Noise Under The Hood @ 80 Ish

lenlex

Hi there all in lexus land.

I have 2 ls 400's 1 is 1993 original Irish car, and the other is a 1995 austrailian import.

I was doing 80 ish on a m-way and a sudden bang came from the front end under the bonnet.

My reaction was to lift my foot off the gas and brake to pull over to hard shoulder at this time the car engine was coughing and missing but i put my foot down again and it picked up again but only limped home.

That was in oct 2008.

I tried to start it again last week and it went first turn as usual but still has a nasty missfire.

What did i brake or what happened to it?

Can anyone help me out

Regards

Lenlex

Hi there all in lexus land.

I have 2 ls 400's 1 is 1993 original Irish car, and the other is a 1995 austrailian import.

I was doing 80 ish on a m-way and a sudden bang came from the front end under the bonnet.

My reaction was to lift my foot off the gas and brake to pull over to hard shoulder at this time the car engine was coughing and missing but i put my foot down again and it picked up again but only limped home.

That was in oct 2008.

I tried to start it again last week and it went first turn as usual but still has a nasty missfire.

What did i brake or what happened to it?

Can anyone help me out

Regards

Lenlex

If there are no visually obvious problems (oil staining, under-bonnet smoke, etc.) it could be a faulty distributor rotor or cap: I had something similar happen on a Vauxhall Senator - the bang was a massive backfire, and the ongoing misfiring was due to the sparks tracking all over the place.

I had a similar experience some years ago when, a couple of months after a Rover Main Dealer service my 827 blew a spark plug out. I got soaked in the rain thinking it was an oil problem and having to walk to fetch oil which I then overfilled! Breakdown came and the following day rang and told me the problem. It may be worth having a look. Boy was it a big bang when it happened.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links