Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Ls400 Alternator Rectifier

Hi - It's Kudos from NZ. I have a 1990 CELSIOR (LS400) and it's burnt out two alternator rectifiers in 12 months. Does anyone know if there is a known cause for this - or is it just bad luck. I had the original alternator serviced when all the dash warning lights started coming on. This seemed to fix it for a few months. Then it went again so I replaced it. This was the original alternator, so at age 20 I guess I shouldn't complain. The second was a second hand unit for a '93 LS400 - this lasted about 8 months then all the dash lights came on again. Auto electrician said both rectifiers were fried. I know that some BMW's (excuse the bad language) blow the rectifiers when there are electrical problems down stream of the alternator. If it is possibly a problem down stream of the alternator I'd like to get it seen to before I blow another one. I'm getting very good ant getting them in and out now - I've got it down to 40 mins.

Kudos.

Lots of people reading your post, but no replies, So I'll have a go. Pretty rugged diodes in a rectifier, to burn them out by pulling to many amps would fry something else, I would have thought, or the fuse.

I suspect you have been unlucky, if it was me, I would replace again, and monitor the current and voltage for anything weird.

(Lovely place, NZ, I hope to move there shortly, I have OZ citizenship, so I'm allowed in)

Thanks - I have done just that. I check the DENSO web site in the US and they have factory re-built units for around NZ$230, freight to NZ was going to cost another NZ$230 so I had my unit re-built locally. Replaced rectifier, bearing etc - cost NZ$480. Would rather have had the factory unit but didn't expect a part rebuild to have cost the same - never mind.

KUDOS

• 2 weeks later...

Hey Kudos. I'm also in NZ and have a similar problem.

12 months ago I went through the whole power-steering leaking into the alternator scenario.

From what I can remember they just cleaned out the alternator and replcaed the power steering pump and I was away again.

Just recently the alternator has stopped charging the Battery.

I'm wondering if I'm going to need to completely replace the alternator.

There's a guy here in Hamilton selling them brand new for ~$500.

I'm really hoping there's a cheaper option! Any info would be great.

Cheers,

Kieran

Hey Kudos. I'm also in NZ and have a similar problem.

12 months ago I went through the whole power-steering leaking into the alternator scenario.

From what I can remember they just cleaned out the alternator and replcaed the power steering pump and I was away again.

Just recently the alternator has stopped charging the battery.

I'm wondering if I'm going to need to completely replace the alternator.

There's a guy here in Hamilton selling them brand new for ~$500.

I'm really hoping there's a cheaper option! Any info would be great.

Cheers,

Kieran

Hi Kieran and welcome. Its good to hear from the other side of the world.

Have you had the Battery and alternator checked for condition/charging? If not do so.

Next, search on here for "alternator" and any other keywords that you can think of which may identify your problem. Come back with the results and I'm sure you will get the relevant assistance.