Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Cold Start Blue Smoke

RUFC59

i have a 10 year old is200 with 76k on clock and has just started to blue smoke when starting from cold after been stood for 24hrs. it only lasts for a few seconds. anybody any ideas. valve guides or seals maybe. and how easy is it to fix. diy style.

hi mate my previous lexus is200 did that i left it stood for about 3 months and when it came to start using it it did what your car is doing now my turned out to be the head gasket what then leaded to the waterpump in totall it cost me around £500 to get it sorted i hope this helps.

hi mate my previous lexus is200 did that i left it stood for about 3 months and when it came to start using it it did what your car is doing now my turned out to be the head gasket what then leaded to the waterpump in totall it cost me around £500 to get it sorted i hope this helps.

Blue smoke should be because of burning oil (failure of valve seats?) and head gasket failure usually leads to white smoke (burning oil coolant). Only assumptions :)

guys,

I had a RX300, had the same thing. I thought it was Valve stem seals, paid a lot for the engine top done.

however, it turn out to be a PVC valve which only cost £1.20

change that 1st, then look at other things.

Felix

• 1 year later...

does anyone know the part number for the PCV valve :question: mechanics working for my local dealer are not familiar with this part... :huh:

I know it's a different car, but my mazda does the same... my mechanic says it's the valve seals

does anyone know the part number for the PCV valve :question: mechanics working for my local dealer are not familiar with this part... :huh:

I know it's a different car, but my mazda does the same... my mechanic says it's the valve seals

i hope it's not seals. i'm going to check my valve tomorrow

• 1 month later...

Sorry for replying so late. I've replaced the PCV valve (Part number 12204-70020) and a grommet (part no 90480-18001) which holds it as my old one cracked during removal (I'd recommend to order one before you perform any checks on valve). I did follow the manual instructions and my old valve was faulty! And it was all covered in oil. Unfortunately it didn't sort out the problem and i still get the blue smoke on cold starts :( there's no other problems, engine seems to run very smooth and strong (for 150bhp ;) ).

So it seems to be the valve seals after all :( but i'm going to leave it as it is for now. Thanks for help everyone :)