Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

One of my favourite features of the LS is the way the steering wheel moves out to greet you when you put the key in. Mine sometimes makes an awful groaning/squeaking noise though. Does anyone know the correct way to lubricate the mechanism? I tried a while ago - taking off the plastic covers and squirting some WD40 inside - but that obviously hasn't worked.

One of my favourite features of the LS is the way the steering wheel moves out to greet you when you put the key in. Mine sometimes makes an awful groaning/squeaking noise though. Does anyone know the correct way to lubricate the mechanism? I tried a while ago - taking off the plastic covers and squirting some WD40 inside - but that obviously hasn't worked.

Hi. Here's a link to the repair procedure which shows the works http://www.clublexus.com/forums/sc-400-300/49783-tilt-steering-repair.html

If yours works fine ie memory position and full tilt away on key removal, I suggest not dismantling it but just apply a bit of light lubrication. I would be tempted to use silicone spray. Hope that helps.

• 4 weeks later...

OK here's an update on this in case it helps anyone else.

1. This is what I tried first, which didn't stop the noise.

I opened up the gearbox on the left hand side of the steering column which controls the up/down movement (see the photos on the thread that Steve linked to). The fibre washer behind the blue gear had disintegrated so I replaced it with a pair of rubber washers. I cleaned out all the old grease (lots of IPA and an air duster - this was messy!) and replaced it with a generous amount of Tamiya Ceramic Grease - this is designed for radio-controlled car gearboxes so I thought it would be suitable.

I also applied white lithium grease to all the other moving parts I could see, including the worm gear which is tucked away beneath/behind the above gearbox.

2. Then I noticed that it got a lot noisier when I put the plastic trim back on the steering column. It turns out that the right hand side of the trim is rubbing against the dash just next to the ignition switch. It looks like the steering column is slightly off-centre as there's a reasonable gap on the left hand side - don't know if this can be adjusted? Anyway I sprayed some silicone lubricant on the parts that were rubbing and the noise went away!

I can now keep the auto-retract function turned on without being embarrassed about the noise it makes. B)

• 2 weeks later...

Most interesting.

I finally got round to attacking mine today.

My problem is the failure to auto tilt away and back again, I don't have an issue with noise nor with the telescopic function. Anyway, stripped it down per the tutorial and experimented with various washes/thicknesses etc. The problem remains. It is as if power is not getting through all the time. Moving the joystick starts the tilt, then it stops whilst still holding the stick up or down. Let go and attempt again and so on.

Has anyone had this more precise problem? And cured it?

The tilt function seems to work like the automatic repeat on a PC keyboard, i.e. if you hold it down it makes one small movement - then a pause - then it keeps on moving. Is yours just making that first movement and then nothing more? If so maybe the fault is with the electronic control box (not sure where this is or if it's part of the switch unit).

Does the motor run freely if that round plastic gear is removed?

The tilt function seems to work like the automatic repeat on a PC keyboard, i.e. if you hold it down it makes one small movement - then a pause - then it keeps on moving. Is yours just making that first movement and then nothing more? If so maybe the fault is with the electronic control box (not sure where this is or if it's part of the switch unit).

Does the motor run freely if that round plastic gear is removed?

Chris, thanks for your response.

If you hold the stick it may move a little and then stop, if you release it and statr again it may move a little, or a lot or anything in between. Thinking it through (son has the car today)I would say it takes 3 or 4 attempts to get the column set. The worm wheel and gear appear to operate very well. I even tried to squirt inside the joystick with WD40, thinking it might be an issue. It didn't improve it and I have no way of knowing if the oil actually got inside.

I have to say my gut instinct is that the problem is electrical; but all the wiring appeared to be as new as far as could be seen with the lower cowling removed.

Taking the switch unit apart and spraying the joystick contacts with some electrical switch/contact cleaner from Maplin might be worth a go.

What happens in auto retract mode? Does it move back but fail to tilt up, or is it not moving at all?

Taking the switch unit apart and spraying the joystick contacts with some electrical switch/contact cleaner from Maplin might be worth a go.

What happens in auto retract mode? Does it move back but fail to tilt up, or is it not moving at all?

I can't see how to take the switch apart any guidance much appreciated.

When the key is removed it tilts back so far. Once in a while it tilts all the way. Similarly, when the key is inserted it tilts down some distance - but not always the same amount - and sometimes comes out nearly all its distance.

I'm afraid I'm getting out of my depth now. :unsure:

You probably need to completely remove the switch before you can open it up and I don't know how much other stuff needs to be taken apart before you can get to it.

From the parts catalogue I can see there is a control unit (part number 89650-50090) behind the dash. On the steering column there is a pair of position sensors, one for tilt and one for telescopic motion. I wouldn't know how to diagnose any of this system other than substituting known-good secondhand parts.

I'm afraid I'm getting out of my depth now. :unsure:

You probably need to completely remove the switch before you can open it up and I don't know how much other stuff needs to be taken apart before you can get to it.

From the parts catalogue I can see there is a control unit (part number 89650-50090) behind the dash. On the steering column there is a pair of position sensors, one for tilt and one for telescopic motion. I wouldn't know how to diagnose any of this system other than substituting known-good secondhand parts.

I think you are doing a fine job so no worries. If you can let me have a link to or a copy of what you are are looking at, that will be mega. I cant see how to remove the switch or know what the sensors look like/their location.

The parts catalogue I'm looking at is installed on my PC so I can't link straight to it, but I've taken a couple of screenshots for you.

In the first one you can see the control unit (89227), one of the motors (89231) and the position sensors (89233 and 89234). In the second one you can see the switch (89235).

ucf20_steering_1.png

ucf20_steering_2.png

• 7 years later...

2 hours ago, jmcc42uk said:

Any further thoughts on this? Mine is making a noise on the way out. Going in and up and down are fine. 

The earlier LS400 was repairable, sadly the later one isn't, and that unfortunately goes for the LS430.  There was someone on eBay claiming to sell rebuilt ones for the 400, but I'm afraid it may be dig deep time, the motors are around £300 I believe.   Or you could just set it where it's comfortable and disconnect it. 

It's Lexus price.  The "rebuilt" ones were £75.  You may do better buying from the States.  There are some used ones on eBay for £75 but for the work involved I would want to fit a new one.  Have you tried the Lexus eBay shop? 

1 hour ago, jmcc42uk said:

Can't find a new one for thr LS460....seems like you can only buy the whole rack.  I'm going to get a used one from the states for £100 I think.  Unless I can find a part number

460? I thought you had a 430.