Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Hybrid System Beware Power Inverter

I would imagine the purist amongst you may turn off at the first statement that my car is a 55 toyota harrier hybrid. Have had it for almost 3 years personally imported and Lexus serviced.

At 35k miles the car stalled at high speed with no notice of problems, no servo, no power steering and very lucky not to have caused an accident. Helpfulish AA chap read the fault codes as a power inverter issue. A bit of charge pit into the engine Battery and away i limped on the hybrid batteries only for a half mile to relative safety from the hard shoulder. Engine gas not started since.

A slightly fuller diagnosis has revealed the inverter to be faulty at a cost of £2.8k+vat for the part and the rest! Warrantee claim has two hopes despite the UK and jap stand a 5 years 60k miles on hybrid parts and interestingly the US get 100k!

My woe is pretty much a financial one but ironically my car joined a further UK model with exactly the same issue nearing 5 years old with only 19k miles. Research has LED me to similar posts in both america and hear quoting similar failures at speed with real safety concerns.

Do we have a time bomb problem here guys whereby, my car being one of the first RX hybrids, 5 years is a life expectancy for a hybrid inverter if so these cars will be out of warranty and with the cost of parts a serious bill and diminished resale potential when this goes public, this is alongside the extraordinarily dangerous failure mode these cars present when they do go.

I actually knew this happening quite often in US, that's part of the reason I got my missus a RX 350

feel for you mate.

Felix

P.S. try to contact Lexus GB see what do the say. I am sure there are some people here have some direct contacts.

I actually knew this happening quite often in US, that's part of the reason I got my missus a RX 350

feel for you mate.

Felix

P.S. try to contact Lexus GB see what do the say. I am sure there are some people here have some direct contacts.

That seems to be half the trouble is that you dont know best whom to appeal to at Lexus, The car has a hybrid 5 warranty regardless of which country its in you would think Lexus would want to protect the reputation of the hybrid technology rather than have doubt placed over its longevity. Does anybody have a good contact.

cheers alan

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links