Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

What Tyres Are Best For Rx300 Se-L?

Dear Fellow LOC members

I have been the proud owner of a Mk 1 RX 300SE for the past 4 years and have just traded it in for a 54 (Jan 05)RX300 SE-L from Lexus Cambridge. It is a fantastic car with all the SE-L toys.

However, it has 4 FIRENZA ST-08 235/55 R18 tyres a brand I had never heard off before. In short they are very noisy!! It reminds me of driving a Army Landrover!

Does anyone have suggestions for a comfort orientated tyre? I don't want to go mad on price but will gladly take on board all advice offered.

PS I ran the original RX300 on Dunlop Sport 270s which were fine except in the snow we had this year. I had just changed them for a winter set of NOKIAN WR G2 225/60 R17 as most of my driving is winter mountain based. I found them quieter and more comfortable than the SP270s but slightly worse on MPG DOWN FROM 22 to 21.

Has anyone tried these out?

I would appreciate any advice.

Many thanks

Mark G-C

Plenty of threads discussing tyres on the LoC (inclusing a couple of mine;) ).

My basic rule of thumb is that tyres are the only thing keeping the car in touch with the road, and even then, a part of the tyre about the size of two palms comes into actual contact at any one time. Why would you not want to give yourself the best grip possible and opt for CheapLong-LingLong-Unknown tyres.

Michelins/Contis/Dunlops cost more for a reason; buy them as safety at what cost?

Just my 2p worth ...

have to agree with last post - you tend to get what you pay for - but for a decent middle ground check out 'Grabbers' - badly named brand but huge in USA (often come as standard on jeeps etc) - should cost about £120 a corner fitted.

sorry - wife pointed out I am an idiot - make is 'General' (very USA) and model on my RX are 'Grabbers' - done about 5k and grip, noise etc seem on par with Dunlops previously fitted.

Welcome to the forum, Mark. As already pointed out this is quite a common thread and you will find various opinions. Must admit I'm of the school that says Lexus only specified the SP270s (that you already know), and Bridgestones, so I would stick with them unless there was something clearly equivalent.

Most tyre dealers have their favourites, but this is sometimes a reflection of their relationship with a supplier or the profit margins they receive! And almost none will have experienced them on your car. I have found mine very sensitive to tracking alignment (front and rear) so this is money well spent before buying any new tyres. I suggest you try to get the supplying dealer to do it for nothing if you can persuade then (I doubt it's in even Lexus' check-list, though will happily be corrected).

I have replaced my original Dunlops and have stuck with the same type though have been tempted by Kumho (can't remember the type, but a semi-off road style) which were at least 20% cheaper, having previously found that brand worked well on my old BMW 530i Sport.

Hope you enjoy your new wheels!

I have found the RX runs a non-standard tyre suze anyways. However I have been singularly unimpressed with the Dunlops (too soft, unsure in the wet and very quick to wear) and the Crapstones (irregular wear, too much road noise, no grip in wet, poor cornering ability ...) and so opted for the Conti SUV tyres (the ones that come OE fitments for Cayenne et al ;) ).

Kumhos are good, but I have not tried them in an SUV. But if they are anything to go by on my 205 GTi then they could be value for money and very good compromise.

I have the Kumho's on mine. Love them! In the recent snow they seemed to work better than the Bridgestones I had on before. Plus they are quieter on the motorway which is where my car spends 95%+ of its time. I'm sure they worked out at about £110ish a corner (bought them via BlackCircles)...

I have the Kumho's on mine. Love them! In the recent snow they seemed to work better than the Bridgestones I had on before. Plus they are quieter on the motorway which is where my car spends 95%+ of its time. I'm sure they worked out at about £110ish a corner (bought them via BlackCircles)...

Hi Normski

Many thanks for the advice. Can you tell me what model number the Kumho's are?

Cheers

Mark G-C

Welcome to the forum, Mark. As already pointed out this is quite a common thread and you will find various opinions. Must admit I'm of the school that says Lexus only specified the SP270s (that you already know), and Bridgestones, so I would stick with them unless there was something clearly equivalent.

Most tyre dealers have their favourites, but this is sometimes a reflection of their relationship with a supplier or the profit margins they receive! And almost none will have experienced them on your car. I have found mine very sensitive to tracking alignment (front and rear) so this is money well spent before buying any new tyres. I suggest you try to get the supplying dealer to do it for nothing if you can persuade then (I doubt it's in even Lexus' check-list, though will happily be corrected).

I have replaced my original Dunlops and have stuck with the same type though have been tempted by Kumho (can't remember the type, but a semi-off road style) which were at least 20% cheaper, having previously found that brand worked well on my old BMW 530i Sport.

Hope you enjoy your new wheels!

Thanks for the advice Nick I think I'm still undecided but I might just try the Kumho's as some idiot put my rear windscreen in after the Eng v Ger game! Obviously considered a Japanese car to be part of the Axis Alliance!!

Dear Fellow LOC members

I have been the proud owner of a Mk 1 RX 300SE for the past 4 years and have just traded it in for a 54 (Jan 05)RX300 SE-L from Lexus Cambridge. It is a fantastic car with all the SE-L toys.

However, it has 4 FIRENZA ST-08 235/55 R18 tyres a brand I had never heard off before. In short they are very noisy!! It reminds me of driving a Army Landrover!

Does anyone have suggestions for a comfort orientated tyre? I don't want to go mad on price but will gladly take on board all advice offered.

PS I ran the original RX300 on Dunlop Sport 270s which were fine except in the snow we had this year. I had just changed them for a winter set of NOKIAN WR G2 225/60 R17 as most of my driving is winter mountain based. I found them quieter and more comfortable than the SP270s but slightly worse on MPG DOWN FROM 22 to 21.

Has anyone tried these out?

I would appreciate any advice.

Many thanks

Mark G-C

Bridgestone Potenza gave good life on my RX300 SEL. They seem OK on the RX400