Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Advice Buying A Supercharged Is Sport

Hi Everyone,

Total newbie to the site but am already hooked, all the info available and good advice can’t ask for much more. I’ve been looking for a Altezza for a little while now but just haven’t come across the right one for the right money. I’ve seen a supercharged IS200 on a Y plate that ticks most if not all the boxes, power output of a tezza (well close enough) with the refinement of a euro spec car IMHO it would seem the best of both worlds.

The bodywork is tidy and it felt solid when I test drove it and the SC seem to be working correctly, then again what do I know all I know is if felt a lot quicker than the non SC version I drove over a year ago which was a later model with less mileage on the clock. This brings me on to my question and advice I would very much appreciate, it has done approx 100K with full main dealer history bar the last service.

• What would be a fair price to pay?

• What are the pros and cons of owning a SC IS200

• Any idea of insurance premium for a 40+

I know Master keys are a big issue and the potential problems not having one can cause , is there anything else I should pay particular attention to and check so I don’t potentially end up with a lemon?

Any help would be appreciated.

Hi Everyone,

Total newbie to the site but am already hooked, all the info available and good advice can’t ask for much more. I’ve been looking for a Altezza for a little while now but just haven’t come across the right one for the right money. I’ve seen a supercharged IS200 on a Y plate that ticks most if not all the boxes, power output of a tezza (well close enough) with the refinement of a euro spec car IMHO it would seem the best of both worlds.

The bodywork is tidy and it felt solid when I test drove it and the SC seem to be working correctly, then again what do I know all I know is if felt a lot quicker than the non SC version I drove over a year ago which was a later model with less mileage on the clock. This brings me on to my question and advice I would very much appreciate, it has done approx 100K with full main dealer history bar the last service.

• What would be a fair price to pay?

• What are the pros and cons of owning a SC IS200

• Any idea of insurance premium for a 40+

I know Master keys are a big issue and the potential problems not having one can cause , is there anything else I should pay particular attention to and check so I don’t potentially end up with a lemon?

Cons - (1) If you use the extra power, a potential for shorter engine/transmission life and reliabilty as with any power mod on any car.

(2) A smaller resale market

(3) Worse mpg as an everyday drive.

Pros - (1) Fun

(2) More fun

Check that suspension etc. has been uprated to cope with the extra go and that it doesn't have an exhaust system that is a magnet for every patrol car in your county.

Thanks for the speedy response fjcfarrar, from what I can see the suspension has been sorted and so have the brakes. The exhaust is aftermarket but quiet as you said I don't what to attract unwanted attention, had enough of that when I put a Janspeed exhaust on my AE82, showing my age now! lol Thanks again!

Hi Everyone,

Total newbie to the site but am already hooked, all the info available and good advice cant ask for much more. Ive been looking for a Altezza for a little while now but just havent come across the right one for the right money. Ive seen a supercharged IS200 on a Y plate that ticks most if not all the boxes, power output of a tezza (well close enough) with the refinement of a euro spec car IMHO it would seem the best of both worlds.

What would be a fair price to pay?

What are the pros and cons of owning a SC IS200

Any idea of insurance premium for a 40+

I know Master keys are a big issue and the potential problems not having one can cause , is there anything else I should pay particular attention to and check so I dont potentially end up with a lemon?

Cons - (1) If you use the extra power, a potential for shorter engine/transmission life and reliabilty as with any power mod on any car[b].(false if it was true tte would never have done this) (2) A smaller resale market(false a lot of people want the charged versions i have had lots of offers for mine) (3) Worse mpg as an everyday drive[b].(yes and no if i drive it normal a notice no diff if i give it the beans then i notice)Pros - (1) Fun

(2) More fun

(3) you forgot the noise its so adictive and you get some looks

Check that suspension etc. has been uprated to cope with the extra go and that it doesn't have an exhaust system that is a magnet for every patrol car in your county.

suspension doesn't need to be touched its fine as it is....when tte converted these cars they left the suspension alone as it could coupe with the extra grunt

just coz its charged makes no diff to how you look over the car just do the usual checks service history,timing belt etc..

Cons - (1) If you use the extra power, a potential for shorter engine/transmission life and reliabilty as with any power mod on any car[b].(false if it was true tte would never have done this) (2) A smaller resale market(false a lot of people want the charged versions i have had lots of offers for mine) (3) Worse mpg as an everyday drive[b].(yes and no if i drive it normal a notice no diff if i give it the beans then i notice)Pros - (1) Fun

(2) More fun

(3) you forgot the noise its so adictive and you get some looks

suspension doesn't need to be touched its fine as it is....when tte converted these cars they left the suspension alone as it could coupe with the extra grunt

just coz its charged makes no diff to how you look over the car just do the usual checks service history,timing belt etc..

Re suspension: Sorry, really should have said check/replace dampers because car has done a lot of miles and they need to be in good nick. As for potential reduction in engine/transmission life with mods to increase power - this is nothing to do with TTE or any other supplier. It is an inherent unchallengeable fact - but the degredation may well not be significant. Nevertheless, with an already high mileage, it should be considered.