Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Amp Install Help

zaf786

Hi guys im new to the LOC and this is my first post. I know this has been covered before but just not sure about a few things so hoping you guys can help me.. I want to install a aftermarket amp to the original headunit.Can someone tell me

1.What wire i can use as the remote and where its located/colour

2.RCA feed,what can i use to get a signal and easiest way around it?

I have seen a post on here which involves removing the original amp, opening it up and connecting rca outputs but dont want to get involved with that. Any feedback is much appreciated. zaf

p.s car is an altezza (as 200)

hi mate. can't answer the first question as i pick mine up tomorrow and will be replacing everything with aftermarket, but i can answer the second. you need to take the speaker outputs from one of the speakers (i.e., run new cables from the OEM amp, or extend the speaker ones and work in an odd backwards manner if you find this easier) and wire these into the amp. most modern amps will have an RCA in put and two small terminals labelled "speaker level input" - this is where you need to put these into. this will provide audio data to the amp. must warn you though, it's a bit of a half hearted way of doing things. you won't be reaching the full potential of even the cheapest of aftermarket amplifiers.

Stevie thanks for your reply, so in other words if i do decide to do it this way i wont get the full potential from the amp/sub. Would you say its best to replace the headunit and do things the proper way? The other thing im not sure about what iso connector i need?I know there is one that connects to the amp or something like that, and the other is a short one like you have on normal stereo's.Can anyone tell me what the difference is between the two plz??

Good luck with your car mate, let me know how it goes..

you can take the remote feed of the ciggarette lighter feed, thats what i did on a previous car.

as for the rca feed. the factory h.u wont have rca outputs, for your best to use line level input if your amplifier supports it. for that you will have to use the feed from the rear speakers however you lose the rear speakers.

Cheers for that ghumra,i think its best to replace the h.u as its probably easier and less time consuming, and then run the proper cables to ther amp.cheers for your help guys

Morning guys, right im bit more confused now,removed the glove box yday and found no amp on the left hand side,so checked the boot and seems to me a module/amp like of thing there on the right hand side. being a import altezza (as200) not sure if that's where its ment to be,just to test it i pulled out all the cables going to it and turned the stereo on,it worked but only the speakers on the left hand side, the right were dead and the sat nav didnt power up/work either. Anyone on here know anymore about this??what options do if it is an amp and is located in the boot??