Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

After 2010 When Is The Next Version Of Is220D

Hi,

I have a 2007 IS220D Lexus and I would like to upgrade to a new one in 2011 most likely.

The new 220D was released in 2006 and in 2009 it was 'tweaked' with a few bits but its the same generally.

Does anyone know whe nthey plan to make a new version of the car - like a total new looking body.

I dont want to upgrade in early 2011 if in late 2011 they new car is out.

Does anyone know when this will happen or how I can find out ?

eoinbanner.

I could be totally wrong here, so don't shoot me down in flames, but the IS220d is probably the first and last diesel that Lexus will do. They seem to be concerntrating on Hybrid engines/technology.

I doubt there'll be any more tweaks now - the mk1 IS had a 6 year cycle from 1999 to 2005. So I'd expect there'll be an all new IS in 2012 or 2013 at the latest so they won't bother developing this one.

And I agree with Kam, I'm not sure the next IS will even have a diesel option.

Good find, so they haven't stopped updating then! Here's the original lexusenthusiast link......

2011 IS

And they've finally done what they should have done from the start, the F Sport has a bodykit and some lovely alloys. Also says it's been tuned by the LFA team so hopefully it should be a sharper drive.....please bring us an IS350 F Sport! :whistling:

• 4 weeks later...

The MY 2011 should be the last IS Gen² version before Gen3 comes out late 2011.

And as far as we know there won't be any diesel engine in Lexus future after 2011. However, Lexus should bring in a 2011 IS200d at Paris auto show next october. The purpose of this exercise being to slightly bring the price down for the diesel version of the IS which sales volumes are ridiculously low (in France at least). Toyota and Lexus dealers were expecting much higher volumes.

see Lexus IS MY 2011 official pics released yesterday

I doubt Lexus will invest further in diesel, but rather focus on hybrids as that is their vision of the future. They cannot compete with the Germans on diesels. Plus, with Lexus pushing Hybrid, it makes sense they will push that - also outside of Europe, there is no real demand for diesel. With Lexus focused heavily in the US, hybrid will sell better for them too.

The MY 2011 should be the last IS Gen² version before Gen3 comes out late 2011.

And as far as we know there won't be any diesel engine in Lexus future after 2011. However, Lexus should bring in a 2011 IS200d at Paris auto show next october. The purpose of this exercise being to slightly bring the price down for the diesel version of the IS which sales volumes are ridiculously low (in France at least). Toyota and Lexus dealers were expecting much higher volumes.

see Lexus IS MY 2011 official pics released yesterday

IS200d? what engine they will use?

Just heard the 220d has from August production being replaced by 200d. Still a 2.2 but with less power 150bhp but better emissions and fuel consumption.

Here is what Lexus say:

A number of technical changes have been incorporated into the new engine that improve fuel efficiency, reduce CO2 emissions, ensure Euro 5 compliance and enhance drivability:

o

Reshaped combustion chamber

o

Next generation piezo injectors allowing improved atomisation of fuel in the combustion chamber, thereby leading to a more efficient, cleaner and complete burn of diesel.

o

Common rail pressure increased 11% from 180 MPa to 200 Mpa

o

Switch from DPNR to Diesel Particulate Filter

o

More responsive, higher flow Exhaust Gas Recirculation valve, contributing to lower emissions.

o

New oil cooled, variable nozzle turbocharger contributing to enhanced low speed toque and noise reduction.

Extensive test driving of the IS 200d has shown it to be more responsive, more refined, have a smoother gearshift and be more usable than the current IS 220d under normal UK driving conditions.

Indicative comparison v IS 220d (final performance data to be confirmed mid August).

Is that not going to be really slow though?

Maybe not. With a potentially wider power band coupled to a gearbox with ratios better suited to engine characteristics; it could even be quicker. What it needs though, is NOT to need updates, recalls or regular attention in general to keep it up to scratch over its lifetime. This would help restore Lexus's position in influential reliability and satifaction surveys.

:offtopic: In that vein, if Kia are confident enough of their vehicle's reliability to offer 7 year Warranty; why not Lexus? It may just be a marketing ploy, nevertheless it doesn't add cost to reliable vehicles, and sends the message that manufacturers not offering it it must surely have poorer reliabilty than Kia!

I don't believe, that lexus will update the IS with less power engine...even if it makes sense, as the 150bhp engine is overall better.

If they do it, they will be the target for jokes from everyone. They will be the only one in the world, who updates with less power, they will be the slowest on the premium market with no option for quicker diesel engine - do not forget that with the large IS weight it will make 60mph in more than 10 seconds.

Also I do not believe that the DNPR will be exchanged with DPF, as DNPR is one of the best diesel cleaning systems on the market, which DPF is certainly not.

I think that whole article about IS200d is bull****.

I don't believe, that lexus will update the IS with less power engine...even if it makes sense, as the 150bhp engine is overall better.

If they do it, they will be the target for jokes from everyone. They will be the only one in the world, who updates with less power, they will be the slowest on the premium market with no option for quicker diesel engine - do not forget that with the large IS weight it will make 60mph in more than 10 seconds.

Also I do not believe that the DNPR will be exchanged with DPF, as DNPR is one of the best diesel cleaning systems on the market, which DPF is certainly not.

I am sorry Matus but i am the general manager of a Lexus dealer in the south of england and i am not talking bull****. What i posted has come straight from the MY11 IS change report Lexus sent us on Friday. PM me your emal address and i will send it if you want proof.

Lets face it the 220 has never been as good as it should have and if a less powerful engine drives better and the economy is better then i will be happy.

Remember in the UK the biggest selling diesel engines are 150 bhp and talking to customers we have lost many sales over the years because we did not offer a less powerful alternative.

This will be the last ever diesel Lexus and the next gen 3 IS will be hybrid only. So really the fact they only offer one diesel engine does not matter to them.

Maybe not. With a potentially wider power band coupled to a gearbox with ratios better suited to engine characteristics; it could even be quicker. What it needs though, is NOT to need updates, recalls or regular attention in general to keep it up to scratch over its lifetime. This would help restore Lexus's position in influential reliability and satifaction surveys.

:offtopic: In that vein, if Kia are confident enough of their vehicle's reliability to offer 7 year Warranty; why not Lexus? It may just be a marketing ploy, nevertheless it doesn't add cost to reliable vehicles, and sends the message that manufacturers not offering it it must surely have poorer reliabilty than Kia!

Fair point, just thought that 150bhp in the IS200 wasn't great, and the mk2 IS is a lot heavier. But you're right there are many who just want a decent, economical diesel, and one that's reliable will obviously be better! Haven't Toyota just started doing a 5 year warranty? I'd be happy with that at Lexus to be honest.

I am sorry Matus but i am the general manager of a Lexus dealer in the south of england and i am not talking bull****. What i posted has come straight from the MY11 IS change report Lexus sent us on Friday. PM me your emal address and i will send it if you want proof.

Lets face it the 220 has never been as good as it should have and if a less powerful engine drives better and the economy is better then i will be happy.

Remember in the UK the biggest selling diesel engines are 150 bhp and talking to customers we have lost many sales over the years because we did not offer a less powerful alternative.

This will be the last ever diesel Lexus and the next gen 3 IS will be hybrid only. So really the fact they only offer one diesel engine does not matter to them.

Well that's really all the proof we need, hopefully this one doesn't have the problems of the IS220d. Is there any chance we might be getting the IS350 for the end of the cycle or is that still not going to happen?

taken this from a website how accurate it is i dont know but thought it may make a interesting read

Toyota has announced today the Lexus IS200d price for the European market and the fact that the new version goes on sale today. The Lexus IS200d is powered by a 2.2-liter diesel 4-cylinder engine that develops 150 hp and 400nm of torque. The company also says that the 2.2-liter engine on the 2011 Lexus IS200d will have a slightly high output of 177 hp with the same amount of torque. the 150 hp version of the Lexus IS200d needs 10.2 seconds to reach 100 km/h and has a top speed of 205 km/h. Since this is a diesel, most people will be interested in its economy. The Lexus IS200d has a 5.1 liters per 100 km fuel consumption, which is the equivalent of 46 mpg. The CO2 emissions level of the Lexus IS200d are 134 g/km.

The 177 hp version of the Lexus IS200d has a 5.5 liters per 100 km fuel consumption and 144 g/lm CO2 emissions level.

The Lexus IS200d will be sold in two trim levels, base and Executive, and will come with a long list of standard equipment. The Lexus IS200d features Bluetooth, Smart Key, 16-inch alloy wheels, automatic climate control and a leather steering wheel and gear shift knob.

The Lexus IS200d price starts at 32,900 EUR for the base version and goes up to 36,000 EUR for the Executive model.

now looking at the figures from the 2010 220d (figures only) if this piece is accurate the mpg will be worse than currently stated the 2010 220 is supposed to do 54mpg is it not?

over 10 seconds to 60!!!. I think if they do this is will be a disaster, it may offer slightly better fuel economy but i doubt its going to be any fun to get around in.

Those aren't great figures at all, the 320d does 60.1 mpg and 7.5s to 60, and the 320d ED does 68.9 mpg and 8s to 60.

Or to put it another way, the 330d does 49.6 mpg and 6.1s to 60. I just can't understand why anyone would buy the Lexus if those figures are correct :blink:

And is the mk3 IS definitely going to be hybrid only, or will there be normal petrol engines too? If so that will be a shame, if it's going to be an IS250h like the HS in the states, then I definitely won't be interested at all, if there's an IS450h that could get my attention :winky:

thats what i was thinking. I think lexus are getting dragged into a straight fight with the big germans and are never going to win

lexus has always had a selling point of being unique and offering great cars spec'd upto your eyelids they seem to be getting trapped in this argument and are chasing something which ultimately they are never going to catch simply because the car is to heavy for what they are trying to do and the germans are technically more advanced on the diesel front because thats what they have been doing for years

personally im not a fan on the new bmw's or mercs because they dont have that luxury feeling when you sit in them anymore but if i was buying a brand new car and number 1 on the priority list was fuel economy i would run straight to the bm dealer and drop my piggy bank on their desk

look at the is200 it was a huge success for all its production life

it wasnt anywhere near the best in terms of economy but had that something that was a little bit different and wasnt 1 of a number on the motorway or around town

i think probabily the best thing lexus could do would be to forget about trying to compete on the economy front and actually perfect the diesel engine.

You will get the die hards who will then still slate it because it isnt as economical as the rest but then they should just buy the bm's and c classes and have done with it but what lexus would ultimately have then is

- a perfected engine

- massive spec

- lower emmisions

- something that you want to drive and not just something you have to drive

- add to that the optional extras like the MM package

put a list like that up against any car that only has one thing in its favour which is a better fuel economy for me i know which one would win hands down.

not everything is a figures game

Yep I agree with you there, but I do think the mk2 IS was a much bigger seller than the mk1 IS. However I really don't think this hybrid only thing they've got going now, Lexus was supposed to be all about luxury, it isn't an eco brand. So bring out the hybrids, but let's have some normal engines too. Especially the IS, it's a sporty small saloon. Give it a hybrid powertrain and it loses all that, but to be honest it's Lexus UK that are creating this image, the models are there, they're just being restricted.

agreed the mk2 is has been a bigger seller which is why in my opinion they should be trying to perfect that first!

i think the big companies are also getting dragged into the whole oh crap we've had this model for 5 years now we better change the whole car

the days are gone now when a new car looked dated after 3 years the technology is there now along withe the engineering and design of these new cars which if you look at the 2nd gen is still looks the dogs danglies nearly 5 years into production and i think still would for the next 5 years minor tweaking with facelift models shows that the range is still evolving and not standing still without the whole need for a revamp. This way companies would end up with as near to a perfected car and drive as is possible

when you start rushing out and revamping new models and generations it takes resources away from refining what you already have and everything sorta gets half arsed and not bothered about because there concentrating on the next 1

I did not want to offend you.

It looks like that this is really true. :unsure:

My personal opinion is, that now IS sales will drop even further.

To who will be IS the competition now? To mazda 6, citroen c5.... no way to A4, 3er or c-class.

This is what Lexus needed? They are destroying their own brand...

I do not understand, what happened in marketing department of toyota/lexus, but obviously they should drink less sake.

Those aren't great figures at all, the 320d does 60.1 mpg and 7.5s to 60, and the 320d ED does 68.9 mpg and 8s to 60.

Or to put it another way, the 330d does 49.6 mpg and 6.1s to 60. I just can't understand why anyone would buy the Lexus if those figures are correct :blink:

And is the mk3 IS definitely going to be hybrid only, or will there be normal petrol engines too? If so that will be a shame, if it's going to be an IS250h like the HS in the states, then I definitely won't be interested at all, if there's an IS450h that could get my attention :winky:

parthiban,auto express recorded 35.1mpg from a bmw 118d after a long term test of some 7 months and having covered 9,300 miles.

issue no 1,120 23-29 june page 66.

i reckon that's a country mile short of bmw's claim's.

auto express recorded 35.1mpg from a bmw 118d after a long term test of some 7 months and having covered 9,300 miles.

That is interesting, especially as their petrol figures are usually not that far off. Perhaps that's the effect that diesels aren't quite as economical as perceived unless you do a lot of long, constant speed drives.

• 1 month later...