Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

I currently have a LS400 Mk IV which is LPG converted.

I want to change it for a 2004/5 RX300 and convert it to LPG also.

Should I go for an SE model with Satnav, or the SE-L.

Any particular issues to look out for.....suspension etc?

Many Thanks

I've only just got an RX (SE) so am no expert, but here's what little I do know....

From the research I did pre-purchase the SE-L has air suspenders which can give the odd sensor related problem but it doesn't seem an expensive fix, other than this the only real problems with all the models seem to be corroded alloy wheels and dodgy CD players/changers. An Expensive (at a main stealer) spark plug service is due at 60K miles and IIRC the cam belt is 100K.

If you want to do some real digging I'd say check the US Lexus forum as the RX sold very well over there and their forums are much busier......

Have to say I'm VERY pleased with our RX and everyone I've spoke to who has owned one - inc several people 'in the trade' say the RX is near unbreakable and ultra reliable.

Good Luck.

The only reason I would not opt for the SE-L is for the air suspension. It will invariably fail over time and cost to repair can be enormous. Indeed this air suspension is not strictly limited to Lexus, as the Audi Allroad cars suffer from similar failures too.

I would look for an SE that comes loaded with the MM and ICE.

We took the plunge 3 years ago and chose an SE-L which in the end we found for very little extra over an SE. We liked the extra toys, esp the reversing camera and better hi-fi, though we only test drove two SE-Ls so cannot compare the suspension 'on the road'. No probs so far, now approaching 60K miles total having put on 35K ourselves. Seems plausible that conventional springs may be more rugged in the (very) long run, e.g. 100,000 miles or 10 years plus.

As mentioned above the alloys corroded and were replaced inside the extended warranty, but after only 2 years there is slight bubbling on the new ones (from the inside, not curb damage) which sadly shows the metal must be sub-standard (or maybe the paint is porous?!).

SE-L mate

LPG is a good thing if you want to keep the car for a few years. no known issue with LPG.

people say the air suspenders may sometimes cos £££, but I haven't had any. the comfort it gives you in return is worth every penny.

I am happy to drive my missue RX all the way to Dover and realise I forgot my phone and get home (Midlands) to pick it up and get back again.

Good Luck Mate

Felix

I've just upgraded to a Mk 2 SE-L 3 weeks ago after 4 trouble free years with a Mk 1 SE. I was concerned about the Air-Suspension so for peace of mind eventually bought it from Lexus Cambridge (Very Good service)Even with the crap tyres (Sumo Firenza ST-08 on 235/55 r18's - Very Noisy)we find the ride much more comfortable, but that could also be something to do with the seats!

Also the Mark Levinson Sound System is excellent but I've noted the potential problems that other members have posted. I plan to add a Denison Gateway 100 so that I can connect my i-pod.

Good luck with your choice

MGC

I have had my 04 Plate SEL for 4.5 years now. Very happy only issues been, excessive tyre wear at the front. Motor on sunroof went recently had to be replaced. Last MOT in May it turned out the airsuspension was leaking so parts had to be replaced. Other than that very happy with it.

• 10 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Also the Mark Levinson Sound System is excellent but I've noted the potential problems that other members have posted. I plan to add a Denison Gateway 100 so that I can connect my i-pod.

Personally would go with the dice - better integration than the grom, vais and dension

http://www.dal-tec.com/index.php