Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Hi - just a quick question(s). My IS 250 SEL auto is comming up to 3 years old in October and I'm in 2 minds as to whether or not I should buy the extended warranty, Lexus have quoted me £1,250 for 2 years. Have any of you bought the extended warranty ? Does it differ significantly from the manufacturers warranty ?

I'm minded to keep my car for a while yet as it's only done 13,500 miles and it'd be a waste to change it with such little mileage. It's useful to have the peace of mind of a warranty but part of me's thinking that "it's a Lexus" and would an extended warranty be worth it ??? Any thoughts / experiences would be appreciated. Many thanks in advance.

thanks tinka - just had a quote from Warranty Wise - it's half the price and covers all electrical and mechanical parts, barring ofcourse some exclusions - as you say all i want is some peace of mind in case something expensive goes wrong

thanks tinka - just had a quote from Warranty Wise - it's half the price and covers all electrical and mechanical parts, barring ofcourse some exclusions - as you say all i want is some peace of mind in case something expensive goes wrong

Check out Warranty direct. I also got a quote from Warranty Wise and they were dearer with less cover. I have full cover, matches a Lexus manufacturers warranty, eg airbag, aircon, even electric mirrors everything, 13 months cover 2005 GS300 £450. Includes MOT and service cover and if a repair is needed I can have it done at a Lexus garage, labour and parts 100% paid.

Check out 'Honest John's' review. What Car, The Telegraph, Auto Trader all sell warranties through Warranty Direct. I don't work for them! I'm just keen on this company due to having to make a claim and it being settled in full with no quibble.

Tip: Do an on-line quote and someone will call you back with a far better offer. Ask about interest free payments as a deal initiative.

Many thanks guys - got a quote from Warranty Direct and they were more expensive than Warranty Wise. I'm sure I could have haggled them down a little but I was quite taken by the endorsement Quentin Wilson gives to Warranty Wise and the general reviews I read of them on the internet, so I phoned up Warranty Wise to check out their cover and they offered almost £100 off the online quote !

Bargain ! Have gone for them - 25 months cover for £660, all mechanical and electrical components, £100 excess with dealer rates and additions for wear and tear, catalytic converter, air con and multimedia. I couldnt think of any other additions that I'd need - I checked to make sure the xenons, gearbox and MM were covered and they were, aside from that I couldn't think of anything else I wanted covered.

Incidentally - Lexus sent me a brochure with their Extended Warranty information and I was surprised at how much was excluded given it's cost and the fact that it's their own plan.

Thanks guys for such topic. I was in a same dilemma, as my warranty has just expired few weeks ago and I was in same position in choosing between Lexus extended warranty, or others :duh: . And I found warranty wise quote very competitive. I think I will give them a ring.

Good luck fella ! as Tinka said it's a more of a peace of mind issue. I don't mind the odd small expenditure, it's to be expected in motoring, it's when something big goes wrong that you start to worry.

Apologies for coming to this thread late BUT ...

I have a negative experience of Dealing with Warranty Wise and would strongly urge you to reconsider:

I had their premier level warranty on my E46 330i. It suffered two snapped rear coil springs so I popped it down to my local BMW Dealer.

It took WW 2 days of faffing about to even assess my claim. Over the two days they came out with every excuse you can think of: Dealer never contacted them; Dealer never returned their claim form etc. etc. - and I know that this was not the case and the Dealer made several documented efforts to show they had indeed done so.

So 2 days without my car, and still waiting on them to assess my claim, they finally got the claim form. Sent it back claiming certain information as not included, so another day lost (now at 3 days, still no repair or car).

On day 4, WW declined the claim saying that for two springs to snap was impossible and the fault must have been there from before cover commenced (bear in mind that this was 5 months into a 2 year policy and the car had been MOT'd by the Dealer 6 weeks prior to this discovery).

So yet more to'ing and fro'ing between myself, Dealer and WW as I fought for them to agree to the cost of repair. This took another 2 days - they then agreed to accept the claim but declined to pay the cost of genuine BMW parts or the full labour rate of the dealer (although i had paid extra for Main Dealer cover). They cited that the costs broken down by the Dealer were excessive and above and beyond what they budget for Main Dealer rates. Their suggestion was that they would pay only for the proportionate cost of what OE parts would cost and if I wanted genuine BMW springs, then to pay for the extra myself.

Now bear in mind, my car has been off the road for the best part of a week and I am no closer to getting repair - that cheap warranty is now looking rather expensive, when you consider the amount of my own time I had to plough into getting this resolved as well as the embarrassment I faced with the Dealer who had my car parked on their lot unable to do anything with it!

Eventually, WW paid what they believed to be appropriate costs and thanks to BMW UK (through goodwill) made up the remainder. After 10 days, car was repaired and returned to me.

I cannot stress how worthless these third party warranties are - the only warranty worth having is the manufacturer backed one: Claims are seamless, claims paid directly tothe Dealer (so you don't have to pay upfront and wait for their cheque), claims almost immediately authorised, all internalised claims process and your Dealer will deal withe verything. Very simple and straightforward and although you pay for it up front, the convenience and worry free element is worth it IMHO.

Also, just by example, to help illustrate the true value of the Lexus Extended Warranty, it might be worth asking WW if they will cover the auto. dimming wing mirrors on your car if they go faulty? Lexus Warranty will, but WW wont!

I had a Lexus Warranty when we had our RX, posted each time I had a claim on this forum - process was worry-free and had the car back within a day.

Pays your money, takes your chances!

• Like 1

Apologies for coming to this thread late BUT ...

I have a negative experience of Dealing with Warranty Wise and would strongly urge you to reconsider:

I had their premier level warranty on my E46 330i. It suffered two snapped rear coil springs so I popped it down to my local BMW Dealer.

It took WW 2 days of faffing about to even assess my claim. Over the two days they came out with every excuse you can think of: Dealer never contacted them; Dealer never returned their claim form etc. etc. - and I know that this was not the case and the Dealer made several documented efforts to show they had indeed done so.

So 2 days without my car, and still waiting on them to assess my claim, they finally got the claim form. Sent it back claiming certain information as not included, so another day lost (now at 3 days, still no repair or car).

On day 4, WW declined the claim saying that for two springs to snap was impossible and the fault must have been there from before cover commenced (bear in mind that this was 5 months into a 2 year policy and the car had been MOT'd by the Dealer 6 weeks prior to this discovery).

So yet more to'ing and fro'ing between myself, Dealer and WW as I fought for them to agree to the cost of repair. This took another 2 days - they then agreed to accept the claim but declined to pay the cost of genuine BMW parts or the full labour rate of the dealer (although i had paid extra for Main Dealer cover). They cited that the costs broken down by the Dealer were excessive and above and beyond what they budget for Main Dealer rates. Their suggestion was that they would pay only for the proportionate cost of what OE parts would cost and if I wanted genuine BMW springs, then to pay for the extra myself.

Now bear in mind, my car has been off the road for the best part of a week and I am no closer to getting repair - that cheap warranty is now looking rather expensive, when you consider the amount of my own time I had to plough into getting this resolved as well as the embarrassment I faced with the Dealer who had my car parked on their lot unable to do anything with it!

Eventually, WW paid what they believed to be appropriate costs and thanks to BMW UK (through goodwill) made up the remainder. After 10 days, car was repaired and returned to me.

I cannot stress how worthless these third party warranties are - the only warranty worth having is the manufacturer backed one: Claims are seamless, claims paid directly tothe Dealer (so you don't have to pay upfront and wait for their cheque), claims almost immediately authorised, all internalised claims process and your Dealer will deal withe verything. Very simple and straightforward and although you pay for it up front, the convenience and worry free element is worth it IMHO.

Also, just by example, to help illustrate the true value of the Lexus Extended Warranty, it might be worth asking WW if they will cover the auto. dimming wing mirrors on your car if they go faulty? Lexus Warranty will, but WW wont!

I had a Lexus Warranty when we had our RX, posted each time I had a claim on this forum - process was worry-free and had the car back within a day.

Pays your money, takes your chances!

Couldn't agree more. I took out the extended Lexus warranty on my IS250 SE-L a year after the 3 year warranty ran out and a month afterwards the nearside door mirror stopped auto dipping, and wouldn't work in the vertical plane at all. Total cost of replacement and fitting was probably in excess of £600.00 but was completed by the local Dealership (courtesy car included) without a problem.

I must admit, i would not touch any warranty other than a lexus one, which is nigh on as good as the 3 year one, and with no excess,like my BMW one had. The other one's mentioned above are just like insurance companies realy, and will do all they can to reduce or get out of a claim.

I think I would go with the manufacturer also. I haven't heard any bad words about manufacturer warranty claims, in fact the whole process is simpler and quicker. If I had an independent warranty rejected on a "technicality", or whatever, I would be really angry having to bear the full cost of the repair on top of a wasted premium.

Three weeks ago took on a 2 year Lexus extended warranty at ~1200. £60 odd quid a month interest free.

I got a credit note for about 60 quid as I was given last years price which my local dealer honoured (not Lexus UK BTW!). To be honest, thats not what swung it. A similar quote (luxury plus) from warrant direct wasnt much cheaper and I got full AA cover for myself and partner with Lexus.

The fact I only have to deal with my local Lexus garage is the biggest plus. I am sure I could probably save a quid here and there but the hassle of trying to resolve awkward issues doesnt appeal to me.

ihpj, sorry to hear about your troubles with WW - was this recent or was it a while back ? i've looked a lot of reviews with them and the majority are good

ideally i would have taken out the lexus warranty, but it's v expensive - it's simply overpriced for the level of cover they offer, i would hope that being a lexus i'll never actually need to call upon it

ideally i would have taken out the lexus warranty, but it's v expensive - it's simply overpriced for the level of cover they offer...

I accept the Lexus product is expensive, but it pays out without issue. The other product costs less and you have to ask why? Unfortunately, until you have been stung by companies like Warranty Wise, you just don't understand how worthless their cover is and how many hoops they will put you through for each claim.

The only warranty worth having is that bought directly from the manufacturer. It costs more (perhaps) because they pay out more ;)

...plus Lexus will cover many more eventualities that WW will not. Pays your money and takes your chances Mate.

ideally i would have taken out the lexus warranty, but it's v expensive - it's simply overpriced for the level of cover they offer, i would hope that being a lexus i'll never actually need to call upon it

When I asked for a quote from Warranty Direct the top level of cover was luxury plus which seemed to be inline with the Lexus Warranty. There were mileage limitations with this i.e you had to be under 60K iirc but when they called me back they said they would allow my car at 62K but it was still nearly 500 quid. This was the 2nd time they had contacted me so suspect it was close to the cheapest they were prepared to go. Basically this was just shy of the Lexus quote but you get the full AA cover for you and partner with Lexus which was worth the difference.

Just to add my rwo p's worth. I would always go for the Lexus warranty which is hassle free. My car is 3 years old in December and now on 78000 miles. I bought the xtended warranty last December when they were offering 15 months for the price of 12. What a bargain. Although never previously had any serious problems with the car the air con packed in a couple of months ago. Fixed without any hassle with a courtesy car thrown in. All in all a first class hassle free service and I wouldn't go anywhere else just to save a few quid

I went with the lexus warranty on my IS250. 6 month in the air conditioning packed in, Diagnosed as a leak on the exchanger and would need replacing. When asked if I wanted to go ahead I told them I had an extended lexus warranty. Date arranged, Courtesy car delivered and car picked up repaired and returned. (I live 45 miles from dealership). Don't think you would get this service from a third party warranty.

Well just a few days after my post on Lexus Warranties my car breaks down on the M6 Toll. The old favourite VSC, engine management and traction control light.

I luckily took out the extended warranty from lexus a month ago and then suspending my existing AA membership. So called Lexus road side (AA) and waited. This was the worst part as it took nearly 2 hours to get to me!

They took my car direct to Lexus and dropped me off at a hire car company where they gave me a 2010 C Class Merc (CDi 200 blue effeciency) with AMG kit and wheels! V. nice motor.

Spoke to Lexus today after the car has been in for a day or so. EGR valve then unburnt gas into CAT, so new valve, CAT and pipes plus ECU reflash whilst its in. The EGR valve was actually replaced on the car just under 12 months ago but no CAT.

So, back to the point of the warranty - EGR valve covered inc all labour etc. CAT is not! But Lexus have said they have raised it with Lexus GB and I shouldnt worry. Will have to wait and see but stand in much better light having the warranty etc all with Lexus.

For info, Warranty direct, highest level of cover is LuxuryCare and the T&C's state the following misc items are not covered : Exhaust gasket, exhaust pipes, catalytic converter, auxiliary drive belts, brackets, mountings, pipes and

hoses, water ingress, cables other than clutch cables. Sure you can add the items at extra cost but when I got a quote for Luxury Care it wasnt that much less than Lexus when taking into account the AA cover.

Well just a few days after my post on Lexus Warranties my car breaks down on the M6 Toll. The old favourite VSC, engine management and traction control light.

I luckily took out the extended warranty from lexus a month ago and then suspending my existing AA membership. So called Lexus road side (AA) and waited. This was the worst part as it took nearly 2 hours to get to me!

They took my car direct to Lexus and dropped me off at a hire car company where they gave me a 2010 C Class Merc (CDi 200 blue effeciency) with AMG kit and wheels! V. nice motor.

Spoke to Lexus today after the car has been in for a day or so. EGR valve then unburnt gas into CAT, so new valve, CAT and pipes plus ECU reflash whilst its in. The EGR valve was actually replaced on the car just under 12 months ago but no CAT.

So, back to the point of the warranty - EGR valve covered inc all labour etc. CAT is not! But Lexus have said they have raised it with Lexus GB and I shouldnt worry. Will have to wait and see but stand in much better light having the warranty etc all with Lexus.

For info, Warranty direct, highest level of cover is LuxuryCare and the T&C's state the following misc items are not covered : Exhaust gasket, exhaust pipes, catalytic converter, auxiliary drive belts, brackets, mountings, pipes and

hoses, water ingress, cables other than clutch cables. Sure you can add the items at extra cost but when I got a quote for Luxury Care it wasnt that much less than Lexus when taking into account the AA cover.

Makes me think of going forward with Lexus extended warranty.

I am glad I did. Apparently they made a mistake telling me the CAT had gone. The EGR had failed but not the CAT. They said the EGR wasnt covered but replaced it free anyway. They also flashed the ECU, car picked up this afternoon cleaned with no charge.

I am glad I did. Apparently they made a mistake telling me the CAT had gone. The EGR had failed but not the CAT. They said the EGR wasnt covered but replaced it free anyway. They also flashed the ECU, car picked up this afternoon cleaned with no charge.

The Lexus Extended Warranty seems to be an integral part of the overall Lexus quality and reliability image, and is usually interpreted in favour of the owner as well as being linked to their high standard of customer care to make sorting out problems painless. By contrast, third party warranties are plain Insurances and seem to involve the provider seeking out all possible exclusions plus a complete disinterest in making resolution of your problem a positive experience. This is something where paying a bit more for the Lexus-backed product can be well worth it - and a discount is often available as a sale-clincher at the time of purchase.

Agree completely. A manufacturer has a lot more to lose than a 3rd party. The whole reputation of the brand is at stake if there is a customer dispute over a claim. The media will not discriminate between a normal 3 year warranty claim and an extended warranty claim. Far too subtle. You can imagine the headline and the impact on sales. I consider the extra cost as insurance on the insurance. The other advantage is that it is dealt with "in house" with Lexus/Toyota parts, not some cheap imitation the 3rd party produces.

I am very glad to have found this, having been quoted £70/mon for extended warranty cover direct from Lexus I was not best pleased and found this to be over priced.

However after reading some of the comments on hear it seems it's definitely money well spent. I will speak to Lexus and see what deal they are willing to offer me, hopefully I can get them down to £50-60/mon.

Anyone got pricing they can share for an IS250?

I am very glad to have found this, having been quoted £70/mon for extended warranty cover direct from Lexus I was not best pleased and found this to be over priced.

However after reading some of the comments on hear it seems it's definitely money well spent. I will speak to Lexus and see what deal they are willing to offer me, hopefully I can get them down to £50-60/mon.

Anyone got pricing they can share for an IS250?

I was unable to get the price down even by saying that I would take 2 years. Lexus said the prices on this are fixed. I did manage to get it at the price before recent increase as I had the leaflet with the old prices on. Even then the only way Lexus could do this was to give me a credit of the 60 odd quid I saved.

It is interesting that there are numerous complementary posts here about the Lexus Extended Warranty. Not one about 3rd part warranties. In fact I have never read a good one on ANY forum. Bit of a no brainer really. If I couldn't afford the Lexus warranty I would build up a reserve fund to cater for disasters and hope for the best. If you go the cheaper route you could end up paying more (premium + uncovered cost of repair).