Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Alloy Wheel Refurb

Just been quoted £250 for a full refurb of the standard 5 spoke alloys on my IS, was going to be £350 but cheaper if you pay cash ( no receipt or years guarantee). Its a well known franchise business. Anyone think this is a good deal or not??

cheers

Just been quoted £250 for a full refurb of the standard 5 spoke alloys on my IS, was going to be £350 but cheaper if you pay cash ( no receipt or years guarantee). Its a well known franchise business. Anyone think this is a good deal or not??

cheers

hiya mate,

usually i used to see the average price of £45 a wheel.

someone on here think it was felix but not sure recommended a place called city powder coaters.

I used them myself, and since then my friend who has an Audi S4 has used them too. the quality is superb - and a £20 a wheel unbeatable value. this price does not include removing and refitting the tyres tho. and it took them 2 weeks to do my wheels.

I had mine done in sparkle silver and they look amazing :)

perhaps Birmingham is bit too far from you?

Hello, I'm new to this but I have JUST had a 3 alloy wheel refurb by Gator repairs, I don't know where you are but get this: I saw the guys van in a petrol station, I thought I'd give him a shot at refurbing my wheels - he came to my house - finished one wheel and only charged £35......I was so amazed I said that he can do all 4..and the price was BELOW £200.

So let me know if you need the guy's number- wheels looked as near to new as you can get without actually being New. Sorry but I have no idea where you're based at all - the guy can travel from North London to Essex...His name is Dan...Prices are now around £45 per wheel...Which is excellent!! Kev

cheers

Hey, your car is as wicked and same colour as mine right? Excelllent...

Hello, I'm new to this but I have JUST had a 3 alloy wheel refurb by Gator repairs, I don't know where you are but get this: I saw the guys van in a petrol station, I thought I'd give him a shot at refurbing my wheels - he came to my house - finished one wheel and only charged £35......I was so amazed I said that he can do all 4..and the price was BELOW £200.

So let me know if you need the guy's number- wheels looked as near to new as you can get without actually being New. Sorry but I have no idea where you're based at all - the guy can travel from North London to Essex...His name is Dan...Prices are now around £45 per wheel...Which is excellent!! Kev

cheers

They would be done in a day, drop the car off and pick it up in the evening. Cleaned in acid, machined the whole works. I'm in Newcastle so some of the places mentioned may be a tad too far thanks anyway.

They would be done in a day, drop the car off and pick it up in the evening. Cleaned in acid, machined the whole works. I'm in Newcastle so some of the places mentioned may be a tad too far thanks anyway.

I think that's a great price for that sort of service if they do a good job as well.

I think that's a great price for that sort of service if they do a good job as well.

I know a few people who have used them and the finish on the wheels is first rate, he claims that they will look better than a brand new set would from lexus!!! :D

cheers

hiya mate,

usually i used to see the average price of £45 a wheel.

someone on here think it was felix but not sure recommended a place called city powder coaters.I used them myself, and since then my friend who has an Audi S4 has used them too. the quality is superb - and a £20 a wheel unbeatable value. this price does not include removing and refitting the tyres tho. and it took them 2 weeks to do my wheels.

I had mine done in sparkle silver and they look amazing :)

perhaps Birmingham is bit too far from you?

That would be me :hehe: good bunch of guys and quality for the price

I know a few people who have used them and the finish on the wheels is first rate, he claims that they will look better than a brand new set would from lexus!!! :D

Asked Lexus today about the wheel refurb as i was taking the car in to have the air con pulley replaced. They said it was done in house and not even a full refurb............ it still cost 75 quid a wheel. I could do it my self for how they would go about refurbishing the wheels. :angry:

• 2 weeks later...

Well the spare money I had for the wheels has had to go elsewhere (holiday or my girlfriend will kill me). Going to try and do it my self (slightly cowboy I know :whistling: ) I've done it before on my previous car. Will post the before and after pictures on soon.

Did all five wheels today, the paint i used was slightly darker than the original colour, but it will do until i can scrape the cash together to get them done professionally.

First pic is of the front off side which was the worst wheel on the car.

img00167201007121207.jpg

And this is one of the rear wheels after 3 coats of paint and lacquered.

img00166201007121206.jpg

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Ill post some more with the wheels on the car soon.

where I work we have huge heaters for drying things off, helped a tad :winky: Plus the wheels weren't that bad once you get rid of most of the crap on them. Only one of the wheels was curbed which had to be filled.......... that took a bit longer.

oh i didnt mean the ones you did mate it looks good - meant a full and proper strip/paint powdercoat/machine and lacquer plus remove and put tyres and wheels on and off the car in one day and then drive away sounds very unlikely

oh i didnt mean the ones you did mate it looks good - meant a full and proper strip/paint powdercoat/machine and lacquer plus remove and put tyres and wheels on and off the car in one day and then drive away sounds very unlikely

That's what they claim seen the results as well, very good. Jobs made easy if you have the right tools I suppose :lol:

did you have a little guide on how to do them what materials did you use??

Not really, gave the wheels a good scrub and clean when i took them off, then used emery cloth to take most of the heavy marks off followed by wet and dry sanding down, then just painted them they way you would any other thing. Not that hard to do. The paint I used was Simoniz silver wheel paint, the lacquer was just some Halfords own brand i had lying round. Actually the only part which is a pain in the arse is the masking up of the tyre........ :tsktsk:

I'm amazed you did them yourself and got that result! Surely it would take days and days to get all the lacquer off before the respray though? My wheels are so cruddy I'm embarassed by them but I can't afford to get them done :-(

I did see a firm on eBay doing a wheel exchange, set of 4 for £255, you get your tyres fitted then call the courier back and he takes your old cruddy ones back to them for them to keep the cycle going for the next buyer.

Anyone tried that method?

I'm amazed you did them yourself and got that result! Surely it would take days and days to get all the lacquer off before the respray though? My wheels are so cruddy I'm embarassed by them but I can't afford to get them done :-(

I did see a firm on ebay doing a wheel exchange, set of 4 for £255, you get your tyres fitted then call the courier back and he takes your old cruddy ones back to them for them to keep the cycle going for the next buyer.

Anyone tried that method?

depends how bad they are, mine weren't that bad really no curb damage, just the black scabby corrosion. The reason the IS200 wheels corrode so easily is because the paint/lacquer is so thin on them when they are brand new. Still not 100% happy with them, trying to find a better colour for the wheels then go over them again...... want to get a nice silver colour. :whistling:

• 6 months later...