Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Well I bought the Lexus after all and am glad I did.

Drove it 400 miles or so down to Kent and am very pleased with it. Averaged 40 MPG at pretty much 75-80 MPH all the way. Mostly on cruise. Like most diesels I`ve had, you generally need a lower gear than normal to stop it labouring. Select the right gear and it picks up no bother. All the toys (of which there are many whistling.gif ) work. The garage made a good job of the valet and it was looking good when I went to collect it.

The downside is that the cockpit is a touch cramped for me on a long drive. I`m 6'2" but no big deal.

The major design flaw (so far) for me is that it`s very difficult to select reverse with the handbrake on mad.gif and the position of the handbrake is also a bit far away. I have to stretch since my seat is fully back.

The gears take a bit of getting used to but once mastered.......

Overall though, it seems like a very straight car.

biggrin.gif

Nice one, glad you're happy mate smile.gif

Although I think I understand the complaints if it only averages 40mpg on a motorway cruise like that.......

I get around 46-52mpg on a long drive. I tend to find that on cruise, it tends to be less efficient than if you drive it manually. Still a hell of lot better than my lovely IS200 Sport, but, as I've said.. it's a differnet car and different driving experience. Well done mate... enjoy your car.

Col... msn-wink.gifbiggrin.gif

biggrin.gif

Although I think I understand the complaints if it only averages 40mpg on a motorway cruise like that.......

I get around 46-52mpg on a long drive. I tend to find that on cruise, it tends to be less efficient than if you drive it manually. Still a hell of lot better than my lovely IS200 Sport, but, as I've said.. it's a differnet car and different driving experience. Well done mate... enjoy your car.

Once I get the car back home around October, the 1st thing I`ll be doing is the EGV clean-up that somebody posted up here.

Hopefully that`ll improve the MPG a bit.

One thing I noticed driving down. The speed warning light comes on at around 77MPH and I thought it was a 'gear shift' light telling me to go into 6th. Doh! blush.gif

It`s about right all the same whistling.gif

Drove it 400 miles or so down to Kent and am very pleased with it. Averaged 40 MPG at pretty much 75-80 MPH all the way. Mostly on cruise.

That economy doesn't sound right and probably warrants some investigation.

On my most recent long run (Devon to Cambridge - 290 miles) with a full boot and one passenger, averaging a steady 70 MPH, I managed 42 MPG (computer said 45 MPG, but I prefer the more accurate fill it to the brim and measure technique). And that was using my IS250.

Surely a 220 should be capable of 50 MPG on such a long steady run, especially in the current hot weather?

biggrin.gif

Once I get the car back home around October, the 1st thing I`ll be doing is the EGV clean-up that somebody posted up here.

Hopefully that`ll improve the MPG a bit.

One thing I noticed driving down. The speed warning light comes on at around 77MPH and I thought it was a 'gear shift' light telling me to go into 6th. Doh! blush.gif

It`s about right all the same whistling.gif

I got the EGR valve cleaned by a local garage yesturday. They took £70 for it, i think it drives a bit better but that may be psycological.

I got the EGR valve cleaned by a local garage yesturday. They took £70 for it, i think it drives a bit better but that may be psycological.

Which garage?

My nephew has his own place in KDY so I`d expect it a bit cheaper than that msn-wink.gif

Which garage?

My nephew has his own place in KDY so I`d expect it a bit cheaper than that msn-wink.gif

Its Bassagard in St Andrews, its one of the more expensive ones in this area but you do get good quality service from them and they never force fix what doesnt need fixing like Quikfit and the like :)

Just a point, I am only gettin 32-35mpg even after the EGR cleanup so I think I got one of the not so good IS220d, but then, who cares :)

Just a point, I am only gettin 32-35mpg even after the EGR cleanup so I think I got one of the not so good IS220d, but then, who cares smile.gif

Well I can get that mpg regularly with the IS250 and it's a far better car than the oiler. I thought the only reason for anyone buying the 220D was for supposed economy, although I suppose they're also cheaper and more readily available to buy (for obvious reasons).Are you really a Scotsman :whistling:

Just a point, I am only gettin 32-35mpg even after the EGR cleanup so I think I got one of the not so good IS220d, but then, who cares smile.gif

Well I can get that mpg regularly with the IS250 and it's a far better car than the oiler. I thought the only reason for anyone buying the 220D was for supposed economy, although I suppose they're also cheaper and more readily available to buy (for obvious reasons).Are you really a Scotsman :whistling:

the only reason I went for the 220 was that it was just coming under my finance limit. The same spec 250 was 2 grad dearer+ one step up in insurance

Well I can get that mpg regularly with the IS250 and it's a far better car than the oiler. I thought the only reason for anyone buying the 220D was for supposed economy, although I suppose they're also cheaper and more readily available to buy (for obvious reasons).Are you really a Scotsman whistling.gif

OK, so here we go again! Yet another dig at IS220D. The IS220D is a superior brand car. Granted it is not a petrol, granted it is a different drive from the 250, but, what the knockers fail to understand in a BIG way, is that people "choose" to buy what they want based on different personal requirements and criteria. So let's have less of "nya nya nyanya nya my cars better than yours" approach, and respect that we all don't want cars with the tiny bit extra grunt and higher emissions. Lexus of all models are premium brand luxury cars which outshine many other badged brands. Just to close, "Scots" people are far from mean and frugal, we are among the most generous in the world. So stop being negative and post some positive praise for all Lexus models.

Col... sick.gif

Surely a 220 should be capable of 50 MPG on such a long steady run, especially in the current hot weather?

why do you think that hot weather improves the mpg?

The engine reaches optimum operating temperature a lot quicker from a cold start in hot weather, hence the improved mpg.

So stop being negative and post some positive praise for all Lexus models.

Col... sick.gif

...and Scots? :lol:

We all know why Lexus introduced the ill conceived diesel in the second generation IS, and it was to capture some of the Company car/fleet market. It isn't available in Japan, America or Canada because that market doesn't exist in those areas. I don't see the fact that it then becomes available to the general public any kind of bonus as I have disliked the car from its inception.

Anyway, as been said many times before, this is a forum not a Lexus fan club and I'm entitled to express my opinion as well as you are. If you don't like it, tough.

Col... sick.gif

...and Scots? laugh.gif

We all know why Lexus introduced the ill conceived diesel in the second generation IS, and it was to capture some of the Company car/fleet market. It isn't available in Japan, America or Canada because that market doesn't exist in those areas. I don't see the fact that it then becomes available to the general public any kind of bonus as I have disliked the car from its inception.

Anyway, as been said many times before, this is a forum not a Lexus fan club and I'm entitled to express my opinion as well as you are. If you don't like it, tough.

pity your bitter and wrong too.... if you can't say anything good then keep it to youself...

Edited by colbecoz

Col... sick.gif

...and Scots? laugh.gif

pity your bitter and wrong too.... if you can't say anything good then keep it to youself...

Cannot see why you think I'm bitter, except maybe bitterly disappointed Lexus put a diesel engine in one of their models for probably the first and last time. As for keeping it to myself, it wouldn't be a forum if we all did that.

Col... sick.gif

...and Scots? laugh.gif

Cannot see why you think I'm bitter, except maybe bitterly disappointed Lexus put a diesel engine in one of their models for probably the first and last time. As for keeping it to myself, it wouldn't be a forum if we all did that.

Your prognostications match your obvious diminutive intellect..... Oh and by theway... YOU'VE BEEN TANGOED!!!!!!

hehe.gif

I don't think - I just know from my experience of doing the same kind of driving all year round.

My average winter monthly MPG is around 33MPG, but this rises to 36MPG in the summer months.

Obviously the car reaches optimum operating temperature more quickly in the summer, but this alone cannot explain what I experience as I do a lot of very long runs. I suspect that even once optimum temperature is reached, it's maintained more efficiently in the summer.

Obviously things like lights, heated seats etc. will reduce the winter efficiency slightly, but I would have thought the extra aircon in the summer would cancel this out.

The engine reaches optimum operating temperature a lot quicker from a cold start in hot weather, hence the improved mpg.

the consumption increase because of cold engine run is much lower than the air condition running on full power.

also, the efficiency of turbocharged engines decreases rapidly with increase of air temperature.

according to my observations, the best consumption can be reached between 10 and 15 degrees celsius.

the consumption increase because of cold engine run is much lower than the air condition running on full power.

I'm sorry, but I simply cannot agree with that statement. If running the aircon made a significant difference to the economy of my car I wouldn't even dare switch it on.

according to my observations, the best consumption can be reached between 10 and 15 degrees celsius.

That isn't the case with my IS250. Perhaps diesels like it cooler.

Last week I covered 421 miles and averaged 38.2MPG (according to the dash board). That is the best figure so far this year for me. It also coincided with the hotest week of the year where I live (average daily high of 27deg c).

if you start the car and drive extra urban, the AC doesn't increase the consumption significantly but, if you have to pass the start/stop urban traffic, in 30s it can rise the consumption by 30%.