Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Pads And Disks

Nilesh

Hi Guys and Girls....

I know this has done the rounds....

I just got had my IS250 sport serviced and back from the Lexus Croydon.

They mentioned that I would need new disks and pads. I had the pads replaced last year around April and have only done 7-8K on them and they are 65% worn already... I was quoted £420 fitted. I was also told that I would need two new front tyres soon within 3 months due to uneven ware.... I had these replaced Jan 2009 and these have only done 9K

Comes as a little shock as My Lexus is a 57 plate and has only got 19,500 on the clock. I checked the disks visually and I see a lip on the disks.

I bought the car from Lexus Edgeware Rd back in October 2008 with 8,500 on the clock.

any advice would be helpful.....

For the uneven tyre wear sounds like the geometry needs checking, have you ever had it done? If it's not too far for you I'd highly recommend a visit to Tony at Wheels in Motion, he'll get the car set up perfectly.

For the uneven tyre wear sounds like the geometry needs checking, have you ever had it done? If it's not too far for you I'd highly recommend a visit to Tony at Wheels in Motion, he'll get the car set up perfectly.

Have you got the address or a website I can visit? I had a aliment done with Lexus directly and it was out... this was last year. Seems that the standard Lexus setup is a problem for the IS250... I know there was a fix for IS200 but I traded it in for the 250 so I left it.

Thanks

And I thought I was being mugged. I have the same car, but manual, an 06 IS250 Sport MM with 18" wheels and 49K miles. Booked for service with Lex Liverpool - only 8000 miles added to it in last 3 years. They said that both front and rear disks need changing, as well as rear calipers, and the Quikfit new lifetime guaranteed pads installed 2000 miles ago would need to be changed too, as new disks needed new pads. Does 1400 for a service including the above sound reasonable?

(By comparison Mercedes Benz Manchester charged just 60 quid for an MOT, check of door locking mechanism and adjustment, valet and a few cups of coffee for my wife's smart forfour........).....

You can find the W.I.M. site here http://www.wheels-inmotion.co.uk

TG

Have you got the address or a website I can visit? I had a aliment done with Lexus directly and it was out... this was last year. Seems that the standard Lexus setup is a problem for the IS250... I know there was a fix for IS200 but I traded it in for the 250 so I left it.

Thanks

Hi Guys and Girls....

They mentioned that I would need new disks and pads. I had the pads replaced last year around April and have only done 7-8K on them and they are 65% worn already... I was quoted £420 fitted. I was also told that I would need two new front tyres soon within 3 months due to uneven ware.... I had these replaced Jan 2009 and these have only done 9K

Comes as a little shock as My Lexus is a 57 plate and has only got 19,500 on the clock. I checked the disks visually and I see a lip on the disks.

I bought the car from Lexus Edgeware Rd back in October 2008 with 8,500 on the clock.

Hi,

its the same old story with lexus and the design of the IS 250 -the disc's are under engineered for the size of the car ,I had a right rant at lexus customer care when my 55 plate hit 18k some 3 years ago .in the end I was refunded the cost of the disc .

had the rear disc's and pads replaced under a recall but they do tend to replace when thay see a lip on the disc but dont state what the min thickness is before the disc should be replaced.

Just got to compare my BMW 320 M sport auto - 41k on the clock after 34 months of trouble free driving service costs to date £500 plus 4 tyres and the on board info tells me the front disc still have 7k and rear 14k to go before replacing .

IS still running well and still great to drive - its just the cost of ownership is a right pain but its going so well (thats until I wheel it in for its next service ££££££) will keep it for another year as the wife loves it .

cheers

swager

Hi Guys and Girls....

Hi,

its the same old story with lexus and the design of the IS 250 -the disc's are under engineered for the size of the car ,I had a right rant at lexus customer care when my 55 plate hit 18k some 3 years ago .in the end I was refunded the cost of the disc .

had the rear disc's and pads replaced under a recall but they do tend to replace when thay see a lip on the disc but dont state what the min thickness is before the disc should be replaced.

Just got to compare my BMW 320 M sport auto - 41k on the clock after 34 months of trouble free driving service costs to date £500 plus 4 tyres and the on board info tells me the front disc still have 7k and rear 14k to go before replacing .

IS still running well and still great to drive - its just the cost of ownership is a right pain but its going so well (thats until I wheel it in for its next service ££££££) will keep it for another year as the wife loves it .

cheers

swager

Hi Swager...

Seems like a common IS issue with the disks.... I have checked other threads and I was a little worried that this is a issue.

I'm having a rant with Lexus now... going back and forth with Lexus Edgeware as I told them I don't trust Croydon who did the service.

They have asked me to come for a comp brake and disk check....

I think most dealers think Lexus owners are stupid rich suckers who won't question what they are telling owners.... little do they know we have LOC forum... and we talk about these issues.

I did mention to the service dept at croydon that I was more than worried about the IS250 if it needs new pads every year and disks every 20K miles.

Thanks

Nilesh

Yep don't take it to Lexus, it won't help and they'll relieve you of a lot of money. Get it to WIM, they'll sort out the geometry and can also sort out your brakes as well (they just did mine).

Give them a ring HERE

Btw, if you don't trust Croydon, then Edgware Road isn't necessarily any better as they're all part of the same group. Is Lexus Woodford too far from you? They are the best in the London area, they have impeccable service and are miles cheaper than Edgware Road in my experience.

I had a update for all you people.

As you know I went in for a comp brake check at Lexus Edgeware Rd...

They found my pads are 40% worn not 65% worn like Lexus Croydon said.

My disks are good for another year. Lexus Edgeware said since I bought a ex demo car I cannot account how the first 9K miles were driven. However when the disk need replacing they will replace them at a Discount :) .

I think I can be happy with that...

Thanks for all the advice....

I had a update for all you people.

As you know I went in for a comp brake check at Lexus Edgeware Rd...

They found my pads are 40% worn not 65% worn like Lexus Croydon said.

My disks are good for another year. Lexus Edgeware said since I bought a ex demo car I cannot account how the first 9K miles were driven. However when the disk need replacing they will replace them at a Discount :) .

I think I can be happy with that...

Thanks for all the advice....

Happy to know that you are sorted now (for the mean time) :winky:

But it just makes life difficult not to trust your dealer and have to shop around for better price and service, otherwise you will end paying loads of money unnecessarily. :angry:

• 3 months later...

Just had my bake disks checked ( non Lexus dealer ) and the front ones are knacked! gave me a quote for new pads all round and new front disks £320. With 40,000 on the clock I have no complaints and the backdisks are as good as new .

My front discs and pads also need changing. The Stock OEM front brakes and discs cost just under £230 to buy. I just purchased a set from Lexus birmingham for £180 from their eBay page. I'll be installing them sometime this week.

I am thinking of purchasing an IS250. I thought the 'Fixed Price Promise' from Lexus was good (see Lexus web site). What do you think?

Front Brake Pads £119

Front Brake Discs (Pair) £199

Rear Brake Pads £99

Rear Brake Discs(Pair) £199

(Parts and fitting labour)

I'm afraid not - those prices are for the IS200, IS300 and RX300 only, with RX300s registered up to 03/2003 qualifying for these prices.

Just for interest, my 57 plate IS 250 never had a any pads fitted in 65000 miles. I asked the question at eaxh service but were always told they were fine.

• 3 weeks later...

Interesting thread. I'm about to become an IS250 owner and it will be interesting to see how my brakes last. I see EBC do replacement discs for the IS now.

I've just replaced all the pads on my wife's Subaru Tribeca. The dealer said they all had only 1,000 miles left in them; the fronts were low but the rears were less than half worn........at 40,000miles! The fronts on my previous Impreza were generally lasting about 35k miles and the rears 65k. I know the IS is pretty heavy for its size but it does sound like the parts are marginal - unless you spend your life on the motorway.

My front discs and pads also need changing. The Stock OEM front brakes and discs cost just under £230 to buy. I just purchased a set from Lexus birmingham for £180 from their eBay page. I'll be installing them sometime this week.

I have a brand new set of OEM standard front discs and OEM ceramic based front pads (the less dusting pads from the USA TSIB) for the IS250/220 if anyone wants them. I'll let them go for the same eBay price as Ahmed paid Lexus.

• 1 year later...

I'm having the samr problems, at lexus croydon, just had the second service, cars just two years old and they tel me the pads are 75% worn and the disks are "below the minimum requirement".

Only done 17K, light braker (not taken it round brands hatch!!) They say not willing to replace under warrenty. Never had a set of pads out do a set of disks before. Where do I go from here any help would br great

• 5 months later...

I was annoyed that the discs tend to lip early (about 45k on my car). Decided to go with EBC USR discs and red stuff pads all round in the hope they have better longevity (and the fact that in the end they were the same price to get fitted as standard Lexus parts).

So far they have been quiet and the braking noticeably stronger over the last few thousand miles. They do look nice peaking through the alloys too. Will just have to see how they fair in another 40k :)