Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Another Hids Kit Question! Sorry!

lex28

i want to join my fellow lexus drivers in purchasing a HID kit. I have spend an hour searching through old posts etc, but i just wanted to clarify, (just in case anything changes with time)

do i need H4 bulbs?? im looking at the 6000k temp and would they and HIDs in general pass MOT??

i did try a link which KAM05 put up awhile ago, but they aint got 6000k on h4 bulbs...(if i saw it right)!!

i dont want to spend loads of money, around £50-£60

Pictures would be great of 6000k and 4300k too please

any links would be fantastic also via eBay

thanks!

quick update...

thanks to TommyH, purchased one of the hid kits from your links

fitted them tonite and wow, very bright indeed! i went for 6000k

i think i should have went for 8000k but never the less im very happy!!

next mod is to get some wind deflectors from USA!!

I've still got my old 8000K bulbs if you feel like having a set of them as well - you could have them for £10 if you want?

have they got plenty of hours left in them?? PM me details mate

anyone of you tried to make anti glare shealds?

I bought the anti-glare bulbs from HIDs4U which make a huge difference, only prob with the IS200 is that the bulb doesn't sit completely straight in the housing so isn't working perfectly at the mo - when I get some time I'm going to try and fix it though :winky:

Do you really need to fit anti glare? is this a legality or modification thing? i'm interested in fitting HID's to my 2003 sportcross, but dont want to be driving illegally or being flashed up every 5 mins by blinding the oncoming traffic.

So whats the deal with these kits. Are they good/road legal or not?

Do you really need to fit anti glare? is this a legality or modification thing? i'm interested in fitting HID's to my 2003 sportcross, but dont want to be driving illegally or being flashed up every 5 mins by blinding the oncoming traffic.

So whats the deal with these kits. Are they good/road legal or not?

Nope no need really, I drove around for many years with a normal kit and never had any problems. Just went for the anti-glare because I like the clean cut-off, and means there's no chance of annoying oncoming traffic :)

thanks parthiban i think i will order some and see how things go. was wondering whether adjusting the height of the lights may help reduce the glare to oncoming traffic.. else i will just plead ignorant. just worried myself by reading the following..http://www.dft.gov.uk/pgr/roadsafety/drs/hidheadlamps

thanks parthiban i think i will order some and see how things go. was wondering whether adjusting the height of the lights may help reduce the glare to oncoming traffic.. else i will just plead ignorant. just worried myself by reading the following..http://www.dft.gov.uk/pgr/roadsafety/drs/hidheadlamps

I wouldn't worry about it, there isn't a huge amount of glare anyway and I really did have no problems (with the police, oncoming traffic, or the MOT). One issue to consider before you buy is that the anti-glare bulbs don't sit perfectly straight in the IS200 headlamp, so aren't 100% effective straight off. When I have some time I'm going to try and modify the housing to make it fit perfectly, but something to bear in mind.

does anyone recommend the usage of a relay harness? the kit i am looking at does not have one, relying on the original wiring harness to light the hid's up. I have got to ask, is the original wiring upto the job / ampage of the hid's on original light up,. I dont want to be frying the electrics and switches unnecessarily

• 2 years later...

does anyone recommend the usage of a relay harness? the kit i am looking at does not have one, relying on the original wiring harness to light the hid's up. I have got to ask, is the original wiring upto the job / ampage of the hid's on original light up,. I dont want to be frying the electrics and switches unnecessarily

*epic 2.5 year bump* :whistling:

I too am interested in the answer to this question.

As the IS300 comes standard with HIDs, will the wiring in an IS200 be the same, thus not requiring the need for a relay harness when fitting HIDs? Thanks

You'll be fine without a relay kit, standard bulbs are normally rated at 55/60w and most HID bulbs are 35w so even taking the ballast into account you will not exceed the current capacity of the existing wiring loom.

Also welcome to the LOC and congratulations on your searching of the forums for information before posting.

If you fancy a good read the link below explains the theory of HIDs.

From a brief read it would seem that the maximum current draw at start up and based on 35W lamps to be 12A so the 15A fuses will be acceptable.

http://scholar.lib.vt.edu/theses/available/etd-11192001-150026/unrestricted/Thesis_Yongxuan_Hu.pdf

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links