Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

My brake pedal is too soft, and I have bled the brakes twice, so off I went to the local Toyota dealer (Arnold Clark, Kirkintiloch Rd, Glasgow) They test drove the car, and phoned the Lexus Dealer, to confirm that a special tool is required to open up the ABS for bleeding, so I should best take it to them.

No charge.

Off to the Lexus Dealer at Charing Cross, left the car. Phone call tells me I need disks, pads all round and have a stuck caliper slider, as the cost of replacing all that would be £1500 to £2000. They were not to surprised when I said I would leave it for now.

Despite me arriving in jeans and T shirt, with a 17 year old car that I wasn't getting fixed by them, they washed it, blacked the tyres, and gave it a hoover out! No charge!!

I have just bought the cheapest Disks and Pads for the front I could find on Ebay- £45 for a pair of disks and £20 for pads !! I'll put a posting in the brakes section when I have fitted them....

I wouldn't pay that much either, but to get the cheapest disks and pads that you could find, is that sensible? Can you be sure of the quality?

Hi guys, I leave the servicing to my local guy, who looks after my lexus and another car of mine.

£30 an hour and parts at his cost price . no added VAT ( his t/o is low ).

He uses good motor factor stuff for both cars and pads are not the cheapest but damn good and when it needs new discs I'm sure they won't be too expensive either.

Oct 2009 Front pads £45.30 a pair and Rear pads £26.13 a pair + 2 hrs labour £60.

Wouldn't the caliper just need easing off a little ?

I wouldn't pay that much either, but to get the cheapest disks and pads that you could find, is that sensible? Can you be sure of the quality?

If I spent my time hammering up and down the autobahn, I would want brand name parts, but sometimes you are just paying for the fancy box.

Perhaps the parts I'm getting would cause brake fade on the second 100mph to 0 stop, but I don't drive that way. It's going to be an improvement on the way it is now, that's for sure

Hi guys, I leave the servicing to my local guy, who looks after my lexus and another car of mine.

£30 an hour and parts at his cost price . no added VAT ( his t/o is low ).

He uses good motor factor stuff for both cars and pads are not the cheapest but damn good and when it needs new discs I'm sure they won't be too expensive either.

Oct 2009 Front pads £45.30 a pair and Rear pads £26.13 a pair + 2 hrs labour £60.

Wouldn't the caliper just need easing off a little ?

I will free up the caliper when I change the disk. I will probably need a rebuild kit for one of the rear calipers, the piston is a bit tight, apparently. The dealer would probably just fit a new caliper

I once put ludicrously cheap front pads on my Opel Monza and it would brake fade as badly as a drum-braked Jaguar I once owned. It was scary.

I think the pads were made from banana skins.

I once put ludicrously cheap front pads on my Opel Monza and it would brake fade as badly as a drum-braked Jaguar I once owned. It was scary.

I think the pads were made from banana skins.

Yes, I may regret the cheap pads, the ones in there now are pretty dusty

The caliper sliding pins seem to be causing problems,I had a front one seize the time before and it was a pig to remove and on the last service one of the rears was tight but not fully seized,at that they were greased fully with molysulphide (copper grease tends to dry out and turns abrasive).

Looking at the pin it had begun to rust after the coating had broken down,I cleaned it up as I did not have a replacement to hand but it will need replacing as it is rough in the hole.

At £10.00 a throw from Toyota it is worth keeping on top with plenty of grease.

The caliper sliding pins seem to be causing problems,I had a front one seize the time before and it was a pig to remove and on the last service one of the rears was tight but not fully seized,at that they were greased fully with molysulphide (copper grease tends to dry out and turns abrasive).

Looking at the pin it had begun to rust after the coating had broken down,I cleaned it up as I did not have a replacement to hand but it will need replacing as it is rough in the hole.

At £10.00 a throw from Toyota it is worth keeping on top with plenty of grease.

Hi Steve

Ever sinse I've had my car I have had a bad pin front n/s. It took forever to get it out the 1st time but I was quoted £35 so it went back. The only sign it has an issue is occaisional squeal when reversing.

My brake pedal is too soft, and I have bled the brakes twice, so off I went to the local Toyota dealer (Arnold Clark, Kirkintiloch Rd, Glasgow) They test drove the car, and phoned the Lexus Dealer, to confirm that a special tool is required to open up the ABS for bleeding, so I should best take it to them.

No charge.

Off to the Lexus Dealer at Charing Cross, left the car. Phone call tells me I need disks, pads all round and have a stuck caliper slider, as the cost of replacing all that would be £1500 to £2000. They were not to surprised when I said I would leave it for now.

Despite me arriving in jeans and T shirt, with a 17 year old car that I wasn't getting fixed by them, they washed it, blacked the tyres, and gave it a hoover out! No charge!!

I have just bought the cheapest Disks and Pads for the front I could find on Ebay- £45 for a pair of disks and £20 for pads !! I'll put a posting in the brakes section when I have fitted them....

I fully agree with you that Lexus dealers are very considerate. I can compare with VW - the same dealer for full services from new and, no payment problems. When my Passat reached 10 years (of being cossetted in this fashion) it needed a new alternator - they had to cheek to ask me to pay the cost of the alternator (coming from VW) in advance. My last visit there. Lexus (Woodford, London) - went in because one of the sidelights went out. Had the usual welcome, complete with coffee, car was valeted (at no charge) and then they informed me that there was nothing wrong with the light (just dislodged, I guess). Charge: £0.

The problem is their prices: Lexus advised me that that my brake pads were down to 10%. Cost to replace(just the pads): £400! Had it done, elsewhere, with oem or Lexus parts for £200. Yes, I know it's an easy job but I have neither the tools or expertise.

No charge.

I fully agree with you that Lexus dealers are very considerate. I can compare with VW - the same dealer for full services from new and, no payment problems. When my Passat reached 10 years (of being cossetted in this fashion) it needed a new alternator - they had to cheek to ask me to pay the cost of the alternator (coming from VW) in advance. My last visit there. Lexus (Woodford, London) - went in because one of the sidelights went out. Had the usual welcome, complete with coffee, car was valeted (at no charge) and then they informed me that there was nothing wrong with the light (just dislodged, I guess). Charge: £0.

The problem is their prices: Lexus advised me that that my brake pads were down to 10%. Cost to replace(just the pads): £400! Had it done, elsewhere, with oem or Lexus parts for £200. Yes, I know it's an easy job but I have neither the tools or expertise.

On my 1994 LS ( maybe it's the age ) the red warning light came on when the discs were down to a healthy 10% + ( I guess ) left on them ! They seemed to have lots of meat left on them when they were changed too. Gave me plenty of time to sort out the replacement.

Malc

No charge.

On my 1994 LS ( maybe it's the age ) the red warning light came on when the discs were down to a healthy 10% + ( I guess ) left on them ! They seemed to have lots of meat left on them when they were changed too. Gave me plenty of time to sort out the replacement.

Malc

WOOPS sorry guys, I of course meant the pads !

Malc

• 2 weeks later...

Today, over the phone, I was quoted £100 to change the brake fluid (Lexus Newcastle). They use a machine linked to computer and a special tool to bleed ABS pump at my risk in case of seal problems etc. They take a sample from master cylinder and boil it. I may go over and let them see the car before making a decision. They serviced the car for 6yrs for a previous owner before I bought it.

Today, over the phone, I was quoted £100 to change the brake fluid (Lexus Newcastle). They use a machine linked to computer and a special tool to bleed ABS pump at my risk in case of seal problems etc. They take a sample from master cylinder and boil it. I may go over and let them see the car before making a decision. They serviced the car for 6yrs for a previous owner before I bought it.

One hundred smackers for Peace Of Mind seems well worth it. Provided, mind, that they don't decide that a further £3bn needs to be spent.