Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Im about 8 weeks off the MOT. I know its going to fail on the OSF upper susp ball joint/ control arm. Its knackered and knocks like hell. But there is a bit of play in the rear wishbone suspension joints. The one that holds the top of the rear hub. If i get hold of the rear wheel at top and bottom i can feel movement and a bit of a knock.

I cannot find a tutorial on it. and it doesnt look like an easy job to me. If it fails the MOT ill have to do them myself as moneys too tight at the moment.

Im about 8 weeks off the MOT. I know its going to fail on the OSF upper susp ball joint/ control arm. Its knackered and knocks like hell. But there is a bit of play in the rear wishbone suspension joints. The one that holds the top of the rear hub. If i get hold of the rear wheel at top and bottom i can feel movement and a bit of a knock.

I cannot find a tutorial on it. and it doesnt look like an easy job to me. If it fails the MOT ill have to do them myself as moneys too tight at the moment.

Hi Sir John

The fronts are relatively straight forward - But the rears are difficult

You have to remove the rear shock absorber - partial removal of back seat side trims and rear parcel shelf to access strut bolts

Then apply loads of WD40 to the 3 x control arm securing nuts and bolts

Start with the upper nuts and bolts first - use a 19mm spanner to the outer nuts and a very strong 19mm socket to the inner bolts - if you have access to an air gun then they will release relatively easy - If not use a breaker bar + add a long strong tube to the end.

Then probably the hardest part - you need to undo the ball joint nut securing the arm to the hub - be very careful not to round this nut off ! Use a 19mm ring spanner or a ratchet spanner, it is on tight so use plenty of WD40 and take your time.When you have the nut off - you need to hit the sides of the hub [ near the ball joint ] with a hammer to shock release the joint. In some cases it may be easier to remove the drive shafts - but again these can be on solid also

Hope this helps and Good Luck

Benfur

Thanks for that Benfur. Thats what i like about the forum. Members helping each other.

Wish id known about the rear ball joints 6 months ago when i replaced the rear springs. At least i know how to get them out now.

Ive just looked on eBay and there arnt any rear joints on there. I just hope its not a dealer only part. If so i might have to consider letting the old girl go.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links