Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

K & N Air Filter

Bobba77

I've replaced the standard air filter (which was filthy and needed replacing anyway) with a K & N one. Strange thing is that that throaty roar you get at the high end of the rev band seems to have quietened down. Everything else seems the same, throttle responce seems to have improved though, see how it goes with the MPG. Anyone else notice this when replacing there air filter with a K & N replacement??

Cheers

I've replaced the standard air filter (which was filthy and needed replacing anyway) with a K & N one. Strange thing is that that throaty roar you get at the high end of the rev band seems to have quietened down. Everything else seems the same, throttle responce seems to have improved though, see how it goes with the MPG. Anyone else notice this when replacing there air filter with a K & N replacement??

Cheers

Did you reset the ECU? (disconnect the Battery for 5 minutes). Probably the roar you were getting was due to a clogged air filter and the engine might've strugled sucking the air in. Also, if you changed the oil and oil filter as well that really quitenes down the engine making it smoother. That's my guess anyway.

Resetting the ECU is a bit of a myth. The ECU has the ability to adapt to the new filter. All resetting the ECU will do is make the car run a little rough for a bit while it relearns everything.

• 2 weeks later...

Cheers

i've been thinking of replacing the air filter with the k & n kit myself. you've got to reset the chip by disconnecting the Battery terminal for abut 30 seconds. everytime you put any modifications that's not standard..meaning off the showroom you've got to reset the computer chip. by the way, did you get as much horsepower as advertised? i want to know before i make the replacement.

i've been thinking of replacing the air filter with the k & n kit myself. you've got to reset the chip by disconnecting the battery terminal for abut 30 seconds. everytime you put any modifications that's not standard..meaning off the showroom you've got to reset the computer chip. by the way, did you get as much horsepower as advertised? i want to know before i make the replacement.

Haven't noticed any difference power wise, hard to tell really. I do think its helped the mpg slightly, but maybe that's just because the old filter was really dirty.

you should not expect any powergains with a Panelfilter..maybe you can gain 2hp if even that...on a modified car like a supercharged or otherwise heavily modded car you might get 1 more ;)

• 4 weeks later...

Resetting the ECU is a bit of a myth. The ECU has the ability to adapt to the new filter. All resetting the ECU will do is make the car run a little rough for a bit while it relearns everything.

I replaced my filter with a K & N one. Did not reset...every things fine...normal at first but,

after a few miles of driving, it seems to feel quicker.

• 2 months later...

Ive got the K&N replacement panel filter and all I noticed was it was a little throatier up to about 3500 revs, mpg is the same as the standard filter. I do a lot of motorway driving along the same route every weekend and i couldnt see any difference in mpg. :-/

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links