Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Vsc & Engine Warning Light

On my RX300/'03, the Vehicle Stability Control (VSC) and the engine warning lights just came on when I turned on the car this afternoon. Nothing else, just stays on when I turn on the car.Still running smooth.

Has anyone else experienced this?

What is the reason and the cost of fixing it.?

Thanks

JDT

On my RX300/'03, the Vehicle Stability Control (VSC) and the engine warning lights just came on when I turned on the car this afternoon. Nothing else, just stays on when I turn on the car.Still running smooth.

Thanks

JDT

No direct experiance, sorry, but found this on the US forum....

http://us.lexusownersclub.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=36555

Lots of posts over there re- VSC 'Check warning light' if you do a search.

http://us.lexusownersclub.com/forums/index.php?showforum=5

HTH

This happened to us a few weeks after we had bought our RX300 - turned out to be the oxygen sensor which (as those American sites referred to in the other reply mention) is really easy to disconnect when someone is fiddling with the engine.

In our case we took it to our Lexus dealer and they checked, found the sensor was faulty, and replaced it -- all for no charge, which was a nice introduction to Lexus service standards.

• Like 1

Thanks

JDT

Yes - at least 3 times in 8 years. Each time it's one of the 4 sensors. And each time it cost me a few hundred to get it sorted.

Thanks

JDT

I have an RX 300 '02' and have had these two lights on for almost a year. Have not had any running problems with the car. My garage only get sensor fault with their diagnostic equipment so it could be any, but a trip to the main dealer could sort it out but at what cost.

This happened on my RX300/'02 a few months ago. Lexus dealer fitted a new oxygen sensor; cost around £320 including fitting.

With the faulty sensor the car ran perfectly apart from a very slight increase in fuel consumption. It even passed its MOT with the faulty sensor. Makes you wonder how necessary it actually is.

• 1 year later...

Update from a new member from US. The engine warning light came on first then the Vehicle Stability Control (VSC) about a day later on my 2001 RX300. Took it to my regular garage mechanic, and he replaced the Oxygen sensor and the rear fuel sensor. Total for $600 US. Each part was over $200. VSC light stayed on for 1/2 day and my mechanic thought I might have an ABS problem not fully indicated on diagnostic. Told me to drive the car and watch for abs. VSC light went off the next morning and has been warning light free thereafter. Hope my luck continues.

I have a similar problem on my 2007 rx350. I have plugged into my diagnostics port and am getting the following code P0355 - ignition coil E primary/secondary circuit. This is indicating a failed ignition coil on cylinder 5 - sods law, one of the rear cylinders. I have tried erasing the code, and after a few miles the lights come back on with the same code. Reading the threads on here about accessing the rear plugs, it looks like a dealer job as I certainly don't have a full day to spare.

Mark

Coil replaced and the lights now stay off. I have however noticed that the car no longer revs above 3k until the engine is warm (not that I plan to rev the nuts of the thing when it's cold). Has anyone else experienced this?

Mark

• 1 year later...

Hi all

Sorry but i'm a newbie here. I have had issues with the ABS & VSC warning lights coming on and going off for a few months but recently they have come on and stayed on, however for some reason I had noticed that I do not get and inrush of air anymore when I remove the filler cap for re-fuelling. This seemed to start at the same time as the warning lights coming on. I never associated the two things (why would you?).

Just took the car for an MOT and it failed due to ABS warning light indicates fault. I asked the garage whether the ABS had failed or if it was just because of the light being on? They told me they had plugged the car in and it showed that the ABS sensor needed replacing at the cost of around £350. I asked if this would definetly resolve the issue and they would not confirm this either way and just re-iterated that thats what the computer tells us. As this seemed a little wooley I removed the car from them and decided to try another route.

While surfing the net I found several suggestions and some were tried and then there was a mention of fuel filler caps somewhere. I raced out and made a crude rubber gasket for the filler cap replaced the cap drove the car 200yrds and the lights went out and have not come back on since.

I'm not saying this will work for all but it is worth a shot considering it's a real low cost repair. I still don't know why the filler cap can make those lights come on but it worked for me. Best of luck and I hope this helps someone.

• Like 1

I have also heard of "various" solutions and causes, including the one you have mentioned, but now that I have heard that this method has worked for you, I am more than willing to give it a go for the sake of a piece of rubber !!! By the way, thinking about it, I to have not heard the usual "whooshing" noise when undoing the filler cap !! Cheers.

• 2 years later...

I have been having the same problem for 3 years now. The ABS and VSC light come on randomly and each time I have taken it to a garage or switched the engine off and turned the ignition on again they go out and stay out for day/ weeks/ months. I asked my garage to check when they did the full service. They told me they couldn't find a error code. So what can you do when the lights stay off and then come on randomly especially when I am not near a garage who could diagnose while the lights are on. I don't notice any problem with the braking or the stability. I have been thinking of getting one of these diagnostic kit and doing it myself because then I could do it whenever or wherever it happens. can some one pleas tell me where the diagnostic plug is on my 2004 RX300.

• 6 months later...

Returning from a visit "up North" cruising the A1 when the VSC and Engine lights came on. Wife read the manual whilst continuing which advised " brake system ok " therefore, we continued South.

When at home I read up the forum here at the Owners Club and read about the " whoosh" from the petrol cap.

Went to the car undid the cap, slight "whoosh" tightened the cap. Wife drove car 5 miles - lights went out and haven't reappeared in the last 3 days whilst driving 50 plus miles.

Will continue to monitor.

I think the forum is a wonderful source for the best advice around at little or no cost.

• Like 1

Yep, we had this too, and it only occurred at our local Shell where they sometimes have an American style pump attendant, who will fill your car for you. Needless to say, the Missus won't let them touch her car again after the lights frightened the heck out of her!

All because of a loose fuel cap!

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

Further to my earlier post returning from "up north" the VSC and engine warning came on again and stayed on. I have relayed my experiences on the similar forum concerning this problem suffice to say it cost me £125 for the new coil - watching the mechanic do the work, I could readily handle coils 2, 4 and 6 but the rest needs pipes moving etc and that's a bit of a no no!

I have searched Internet and find that the coils (code 90919-02251 ) vary in price from £ 8.95 ( China) to £ 137 uk plus vat.

My garage charged £54 for 1 hour but spent time changing the coils over whilst trying to isolate the fault.

No complaints.

Love this car.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

I have this problem, VSC and engine warning lights on, as well. Sometimes it goes out for a day or two. Lexus did a diagnostic on it and came up with 'Code P0174: bank 2 oxygen sensor at fault'. I replace it. The lights did not go out straight away so I disconnected the Battery for about 30 seconds. Presto! the light went out .... for about 10 miles!

Reading above about the fuel cap and the whooshing sound. I just tried it and yes I had the whooshing! is that good or bad? judging  by the smell of fuel I can only assume the tank was under positive pressure but may be wrong. I did seem that the lights would come on after high reeving (passing others/over 65mph etc.,) so are we saying that the tank breathing is at fault? 

The whooshing is a good sign. It shows that your fuel lines and fuel cap are all sealed. Sometimes the rubber seal around the fuel cap perishes or is dirty and requires replacing or cleaning. Only an OBD2 code reader or Toyotas techstream can help you out here really...

• Like 1

Thanks Chris, I feel a little easier now although it is now getting interesting and frustrating!

I change the Bank 2 Oxygen sensor, 89467-48011 (Diagnosed at Lexus) for one bought direct from USA/Hong Kong Labelled Toyota/Lexus. great it lasted for approx 10 miles!!! even rebooted several times (disconnect Battery for 10 secs. lasted another 10 miles or so)

I then bought another labelled DENSO, so far it has lasted 13 miles... all with the same part number.

Anyone had issues with "new" sensors. the USA one was $30 the Denso was £95 and one from Westover would b nearly £300!

• 1 month later...

Well! After all the hype about Oxygen sensors, and even catalytic converters, it turned out to be a £22 MAF sensor in the air intake!

Surprisingly, when I changed all the plugs, and as the upper intake manifold had to be removed to get to the rear ones, I was shocked at the inlet ports. One bank were black the other three were clean ... cant see how that could happen unless the majority of air flow from the engine breather is directed to one bank only.

20160305_151725.jpg

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I have now changed the MAF and so far so good although passing a field or three that had just been treated with some potent artificial fertilizer, that seemed to affect the system as I left the area the warning lights came on again and the readings were "too lean". after clearing the codes all seemed well again ... fingers crossed!

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Well it has now been a thousand miles or so with a few tank fill-ups, mostly premium grade fuel but did bight the biscuit and tried inferior supermarket stuff as well! Since the incident with the fertiliser spraying it has behaved well. The fuel consumption readouts have become more stable, no more wild fluctuations and reading a constant 27-27.8 MPG locally and nearly mpg (29.9mpg) on a steady run. It did go 31+ mpg for a while on a lazy journey but then it was nearly always never over 50mph! It seems to run much smoother and quieter now, apart from a transmission mount vibration when idling in gear.

Upshot is that I can now see why others like their RX.

• Like 2

• 5 months later...

Had the vsc and engine light come on out of the blue on start up. Found that it was the petrol filler cap had not been tightened enough. Tightened it until it clicked, started the car and lights have gone out. 

Please try this before anything else if you have these lights come on.

• Like 1

On 7/6/2010 at 6:04 PM, JDT said:

Thanks

JDT

Is the problem fixed now?

If so... how?

:wink3: