Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Airbox Buttferfly Valve?

JohnnyTsang

hey guys gave my car a little service putting through new oil, filter, air filter ,gearbox oil and cleaned the maf and throttle body

now i seen this butterfly flap thing inside the airbox but it seems to be permanently raised when car is off and doesnt move when the car is revved up...

the car still hits a kind of v tec when it hits 5k revs tho. how do you keep the flap open permanently?

The flap should open at about 4500rpm to let more air in. If you disconnect the vacuum tube it will stay open all the time giving you a bit more induction noise at lower rpm. It's basically a noise suppressor from what I can gather. I have mine disconnected.

p10108481rd0.jpg

It would seem so.

One guy on the Altezza club did a little test & he reckoned having the flap open all the time increased the mpg a fraction but it's a price I'm willing to pay for a bit of induction noise :winky:

http://www.youtube.com/user/Altezzaeve#p/u/19/AO6dCIFC3_A

• 2 weeks later...

It doesn't let the air past the filter, that would be pointless. Just more air before the filter. If you have an RS200 then you'll see how it works

It doesn't let the air past the filter, that would be pointless. Just more air before the filter. If you have an RS200 then you'll see how it works

i have an RS200 and i'm fully aware of how it works :whistling:

i presumed that he meant what do you do with the end of the vacuum pipe. having a loose vacuum pipe in your engine is likely to 1. make your car idle like a bag of **** and 2. let air into your pcv system.

There's a solenoid that operates valve the air is feed from the back of the throttle body. Just blank off where the hose connects. It doesn't effect the engines vacuum. As I said if you have a look you'll see how it works

All done.

Cant say ive noticed more induction noise. I have noticed that you dont get the kick at 5000rpm anymore as the power delivery seems smoother.

Definately worth doing.

done here as well - definitely worth doing. i did get an increase in induction noise as well, and much prefer the power delivery - i found it only felt like a kick because it felt like it was being strangled just beforehand. much happier with the power delivery now.

• 9 years later...