Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Spontaneous Dent On Front Wing - No Signs Of Impact

I have recently found a strange dent on the right front wing of my IS250c. There is no associated paint chip/scratch/mark. There is no sign of it being hit. In fact it would be pretty difficult for it to have been hit as it is parked on my driveway and was fine when I parked and dented when I came back.

Has anyone else ever seen this happen? I have heard of some cars (bmw mini) having an issue with roof dents caused by hot weather, could this be similar? If so do you think it would be covered in the cars warranty?

The car was new at sept 2009.

will try and post some pics but it is difficult to see due to the reflections.

What should I do? If I take it to lexus bodyshop will they a) laugh at me for thinking this can happen spontaneously, 2) fob me off, c) accuse me of trying to pull a fast one?

Your help is as always much appreciated.

I once had a spontaneous dent in my wing, but in my case something must have fallen out of a tree and hit it. That does look odd, but I'd struggle to believe that that could have happened on its own and I think the bodyshop would probably say the same.

Is your driveway secluded or open? Do you have wheelie bins rolled up and down the drive? These might be far fetched but just thinking of possibilities......

I once had a spontaneous dent in my wing, but in my case something must have fallen out of a tree and hit it. That does look odd, but I'd struggle to believe that that could have happened on its own and I think the bodyshop would probably say the same.

Is your driveway secluded or open? Do you have wheelie bins rolled up and down the drive? These might be far fetched but just thinking of possibilities......

I have tried to rack my brain to figure it out. I had washed the car on a warm/hot day and hosed it down with cold water. The temp did drop in the evening/night. We don't have anyone going past the car, no wheelie bins, no trees near by and unless someone set out to purposely put a dent there I can't see how it could have happened. The strangest this is that there is not a scratch on it. So if it was done by someone knocking into it they went into it and then reversed back in the same line. How many drivers/cars can you think of that could put a dent like that in the car without scratching it.

I showed it to a local car mech and he didn't think it looked like an impact.

it has got me scratching my head

Yep doesn't look like it's been hit by a car because as you say it should have damaged the paintwork. It looks a lot like the sort of dent you'd get if a car door has been opened on to it though, I've had it happen to me in the past and it never damaged the paintwork (which was good as a dent guy knocked it back out for not a lot of money).

I'd have a word to Lexus anyway, say it's been on the drive, wasn't dented before and now it is. There is always an off chance that they might investigate it and end up repairing it, but otherwise a paintless dent removal guy could probably remove that for about £85 I think.

Yep doesn't look like it's been hit by a car because as you say it should have damaged the paintwork. It looks a lot like the sort of dent you'd get if a car door has been opened on to it though, I've had it happen to me in the past and it never damaged the paintwork (which was good as a dent guy knocked it back out for not a lot of money).

I'd have a word to Lexus anyway, say it's been on the drive, wasn't dented before and now it is. There is always an off chance that they might investigate it and end up repairing it, but otherwise a paintless dent removal guy could probably remove that for about £85 I think.

Any recommendations for a good painless dent guy? In case lexus do snub me on this.

As others have said, it is definitely mechanical damage and I would put good money on it being human intervention.

A few years ago we woke up to find that some mindless w :tsktsk: r had stood on the bonnet of my wife's car whilst parked on our drive, kicking and smashing the windscreen. There was also a dent in the wing (not unlike yours) which appeared to be caused by this ***** standing on the bonnet and back-heeling the wing.

I doubt you'll get a sympathetic ear at your local dealer as it is obviously something outside of their responsibility.

Any recommendations for a good painless dent guy? In case lexus do snub me on this.

I used DentDevils on the recommendation of another member and they did a great job, my dents were nowhere near as big but I think it should still be fine. They'll tell you before they start though how well they think it will come out so you'll be able to decide whether to go ahead or not.

I came down one morning to find a strange large dent in the middle of my bonnet. At first I was at a loss as to how it had happened - then I found the culprit - a large firework rocket lying nearby. As the bonnet is aluminium and the dent was right on a strengthening rib my local bodyshop didn't want to try paintless dent removal and quoted me £250 for a repair.

I then found a dent removal guy who had worked at Nissan and he completely removed it for £40. I've been over and over the bonnet and I cannot now find the dent, it's completely gone.

I used DentDevils on the recommendation of another member and they did a great job, my dents were nowhere near as big but I think it should still be fine. They'll tell you before they start though how well they think it will come out so you'll be able to decide whether to go ahead or not.

I used Dent Devils also on my wifes car. I went to Halfrauds 1st where the guy told me he would have to fill the dent then paint it ... cost £120.00. I said no way it can be repaired without filler (which I could've done myself for a few quid.), so, The guy from Dent Devils came out to the house, had a look and said, yep, a wee bit difficult but I have a special tool to do this kind of work. 40 mins later, dent completely gone with no trace, and a nice wee bill for £65.00. Dent Devils are really good.

Col...msn-wink.gif