Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Thinking Of A Rx400H

Hello all i am in the process of getting a lexus RX400h se with 99k on an 06 plate full lexus history absolutely mint condition. Whats to look out for and what would i be looking to get mpg realistically.

These things seem to be as relaible as a Swiss watch!

Only 2 things to be aware of as far as I can tell. 1) Check the mapping discs for Sat-Nav, a good dealer will throw them in as part of the deal. 2) They don't like being left standing for long periods because the Battery is quite small & doesn't start the engine, it only initialises the systems that start everything. The baattery can go down in 10 days if you don't go anywhwere & needs about 15 minutes driving to ensure it's charged again.

In other posts you'll see I'm looking into options for this latter point & so far I've found a larger Battery that might (it is VERY close in dimensions) fit, but need to ascertain if it really does fit & what the implications are as far as routine driving/charging is concnered.

Solar charging seems to be the best route, but you'll need an extra direct wired socket under the dash because all the Lexus one's are off when the ignition is off.

As to fuel consumption................ ummmmmmmmm....... How heavy is your right foot?

If you drive hard all the time, using engine power, rather than the Hybrid system you'll get high 20's as a braod idea.

However, as you are buying a Hybrid my guess is you'll be in the mind for a little restraint & behavioural change. You won't lose much in journey times (trust me!), but you will save fuel.

Tips: when you slow down get right off the acccelerator, the engine stops & re-gen of the Hybrid cell starts - there's a large motorway hill near me & it is kind of cool to sail down with the electric motors holding you back in re-gen mode & the fuel readout reading 99.9mpg! All at 70mph (honest judge!).

Accelerate lightly & you'll fone the electric motors assist the petrol engine, rather than a full bore shove & getting below 10mpg al the way.

In all I get around 28mpg around town & 32-34 on most longer runs. I have seen a genuine (verified by top to top refills fo the tank) 37mpg, but that does take real discipline - I have firneds with 1.6 engined hatchbacks that just about manage 40mpg on a run & 22- 24 around town, so, for a 3.3 litre SUV the figures stack up. (I have a collegue who bought a RR Sport Diesel within weeks of my Lexus purchase & he gets around........ do you really want to go there? OK ...... 23 mpg at best!

Hope these ramblings help .... good luck..... enjoy!

Hello all i am in the process of getting a lexus RX400h se with 99k on an 06 plate full lexus history absolutely mint condition. Whats to look out for and what would i be looking to get mpg realistically.

These things seem to be as relaible as a Swiss watch!

Only 2 things to be aware of as far as I can tell. 1) Check the mapping discs for Sat-Nav, a good dealer will throw them in as part of the deal. 2) They don't like being left standing for long periods because the Battery is quite small & doesn't start the engine, it only initialises the systems that start everything. The baattery can go down in 10 days if you don't go anywhwere & needs about 15 minutes driving to ensure it's charged again.

In other posts you'll see I'm looking into options for this latter point & so far I've found a larger Battery that might (it is VERY close in dimensions) fit, but need to ascertain if it really does fit & what the implications are as far as routine driving/charging is concnered.

Solar charging seems to be the best route, but you'll need an extra direct wired socket under the dash because all the Lexus one's are off when the ignition is off.

As to fuel consumption................ ummmmmmmmm....... How heavy is your right foot?

If you drive hard all the time, using engine power, rather than the Hybrid system you'll get high 20's as a braod idea.

However, as you are buying a Hybrid my guess is you'll be in the mind for a little restraint & behavioural change. You won't lose much in journey times (trust me!), but you will save fuel.

Tips: when you slow down get right off the acccelerator, the engine stops & re-gen of the Hybrid cell starts - there's a large motorway hill near me & it is kind of cool to sail down with the electric motors holding you back in re-gen mode & the fuel readout reading 99.9mpg! All at 70mph (honest judge!).

Accelerate lightly & you'll fone the electric motors assist the petrol engine, rather than a full bore shove & getting below 10mpg al the way.

In all I get around 28mpg around town & 32-34 on most longer runs. I have seen a genuine (verified by top to top refills fo the tank) 37mpg, but that does take real discipline - I have firneds with 1.6 engined hatchbacks that just about manage 40mpg on a run & 22- 24 around town, so, for a 3.3 litre SUV the figures stack up. (I have a collegue who bought a RR Sport Diesel within weeks of my Lexus purchase & he gets around........ do you really want to go there? OK ...... 23 mpg at best!

Hope these ramblings help .... good luck..... enjoy!

I'm taking delivery of a 400h SE (07, 25k miles) in a week's time - I have had 3 IS's in the past then switched to Audi but I am now coming back to Lex and can't wait - I have bought the RX as a comfortable motorway cruiser because I go to a lot of football matches - regarding mpg, am I better off using cruise control on long runs or using my foot to control when the power is on or off?

I've had mine for 6 months now ,it's an 08 SE with the wood pack and am very pleased with it. I had an IS300 before it. The fuel consumption does vary with the weather i.e. during the winter months I was getting around 28 mpg but now its up to 31 mpg with not much difference in the type of driving that I do. Another bonus is that its quicker than the IS300 although racing around country lanes it would probably lag behind. Regarding the starting problem, it will be parked up at an airport car park for two weeks over next Xmas and New Year so any advice on how to ensure start up when I get back will be appreciated.

Mine 05'400h, 130000km on clock (owner sience feb10-in my hand 13000km) standed in airport 8 days in march, -10 C(estonia), no problems. In summer I have 12V 32litre cooler in back, tomtom in cigarette 12V and 12V-220V inverter in floor for laptop and photocamcharger (2*220V socets). No problem. I don't leave key in ignition and stuff won't work at standing.

Battery Dimensions:

230*130*h200mm

Hankook calcium+(made in korea) :tomato:

45 Ah(20hr)/71min(rc)

220A din, 360A en, 430A sae

Hi All again thanks for the advice well picked it up today and so far love it. I have ordered a solar trickle charger after reading the advice on here and will no doubt see how the mpg will go. But so far very happy got a price of £300 for cambelt which i will get done very soon as its at 99000

Hi All again thanks for the advice well picked it up today and so far love it. I have ordered a solar trickle charger after reading the advice on here and will no doubt see how the mpg will go. But so far very happy got a price of £300 for cambelt which i will get done very soon as its at 99000

Where are you going to connect the solar trickle charger?

• 1 month later...

We've ordered one and cant wait to pick it up. I travel from Liverpool to Manchester every day and I think it will be great around Manchester city centre and also on the motorway, pure silent luxury!!!! we've also got a caravan so looking forward to see how that handles the van on the motorway. I cant wait to see the back of my BMW330d, new turbo last month now auto box has gone!!!

We've ordered one and cant wait to pick it up. I travel from Liverpool to Manchester every day and I think it will be great around Manchester city centre and also on the motorway, pure silent luxury!!!! we've also got a caravan so looking forward to see how that handles the van on the motorway. I cant wait to see the back of my BMW330d, new turbo last month now auto box has gone!!!

There's just one thing I personally would check out. When I took my 400H into Lexus Norwich last month for a caliper issue, they informed me that the inverter on the engine had a major problem and needed to be re-newed. The part price was !!£2500.00!! When they managed to bring me round and put me in a chair, they then informed me that they would check the vehicle warranty. Luckily it was covered; 5 years or 100,000 miles. Phew! That was close. It's five years old in October with 91,000 on the clock.Might be worth sticking it on a diagnostic machine.

I've had mine for 6 months now ,it's an 08 SE with the wood pack and am very pleased with it. I had an IS300 before it. The fuel consumption does vary with the weather i.e. during the winter months I was getting around 28 mpg but now its up to 31 mpg with not much difference in the type of driving that I do. Another bonus is that its quicker than the IS300 although racing around country lanes it would probably lag behind. Regarding the starting problem, it will be parked up at an airport car park for two weeks over next Xmas and New Year so any advice on how to ensure start up when I get back will be appreciated.

I had a lot of trouble with my 400H Battery going dead when the car was not used...I fixed the problem by getting Lexus to wire up the bottom power socket permanently to the Battery with an inline fuse also.I plug a solar charger into it when its laid up while I'm away on work trips overseas and it has started everytime since,even after 3 to 4 weeks of not being used.

Surfbum

• 5 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I had a lot of trouble with my 400H battery going dead when the car was not used...I fixed the problem by getting Lexus to wire up the bottom power socket permanently to the battery with an inline fuse also.I plug a solar charger into it when its laid up while I'm away on work trips overseas and it has started everytime since,even after 3 to 4 weeks of not being used.

Surfbum

Which kind of portable solar panel did you use? any brands or examples, or any specific Volts/Currents required for the RX400H?

• 1 month later...

I had a lot of trouble with my 400H battery going dead when the car was not used...I fixed the problem by getting Lexus to wire up the bottom power socket permanently to the battery with an inline fuse also.I plug a solar charger into it when its laid up while I'm away on work trips overseas and it has started everytime since,even after 3 to 4 weeks of not being used.

Surfbum

Which kind of portable solar panel did you use? any brands or examples, or any specific Volts/Currents required for the RX400H?

Surfbum

Its a SUNSEI SOLAR CHAGER 135..it has a built in diode to prevent reverse current.The Lexus electrician who installed mine to the floor socket by permanent wiring it,its safe as long as an inline fuse is installed also.You can purchase from www.sunseisolar.com..not expensive.

Surfbum