Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Vcar / Cat D - Your Views

Just a quick one. I did something I've never done before and bought a Cat D vehicle (on VCAR = Vehicle Condition Alert Register), it was a mk3 GS300 SE-L and the only damage was very low-speed front-end (maybe 5-10mph). Cat D is the lowest bracket but god knows why the insurance would effectively write it off. It needed and has had a new bumper on the front (this was done before I got it) and the bonnet has some dings/dents on the front which given what I paid for the car, I booked it into bodyshop to fix or touch up.

Anyone else had a similar experience or done a similar thing? I get the impression luxury cars get a Cat D listing a lot because of the parts and labour cost at the main dealers, I've sure seen a lot of BMWs like this. The silly thing is I saw a Mercedes SLK once which wasn't Cat D listed but had suffered much worse damage than my GS300 (I guess it was unrecorded and fixed off the books).

Other than knowing I'll lose about 20% off market value when I sell it, I couldn't see any problems - passed MOT first time, drives fine, FSH from the main dealer, HPI clear (bar the Cat D).

Just a quick one. I did something I've never done before and bought a Cat D vehicle (on VCAR = Vehicle Condition Alert Register), it was a mk3 GS300 SE-L and the only damage was very low-speed front-end (maybe 5-10mph). Cat D is the lowest bracket but god knows why the insurance would effectively write it off. It needed and has had a new bumper on the front (this was done before I got it) and the bonnet has some dings/dents on the front which given what I paid for the car, I booked it into bodyshop to fix or touch up.

Anyone else had a similar experience or done a similar thing? I get the impression luxury cars get a Cat D listing a lot because of the parts and labour cost at the main dealers, I've sure seen a lot of BMWs like this. The silly thing is I saw a Mercedes SLK once which wasn't Cat D listed but had suffered much worse damage than my GS300 (I guess it was unrecorded and fixed off the books).

Other than knowing I'll lose about 20% off market value when I sell it, I couldn't see any problems - passed MOT first time, drives fine, FSH from the main dealer, HPI clear (bar the Cat D).

Did two Mercs. and a Volvo over a few year period.

You have to check carefully now on prices, Cat D's are overpriced in a lot of cases.

Similar undamaged cars are in Autotrader at damn near the same price, with tax and MOT.

i wouldn't have an issue buying a cat D car. all it means is, exactly as you say, that they were uneconomical to repair, but are still entirely safe to do so.so you could have one in a minor collision with a wall in snow that if you straightened out the rear quarter panel is absolutely fine.... then you could have a cat c or even b that had a 5mph shunt with a lorry, but the force shifted the rear subframe, and it's completely unsafe to drive without major work.

everyone worries about cat ds but my last two cars have been imports, and it's only when you go looking that it's obvious over half of the imports that come into this country with tasty aftermarket parts on have been crashed.... my MR2 had, my altezza has, but the quality of repairs on cars coming from japan means it's simply not an issue. if the quality of repair is the same on a uk car, go for it.

Ok thanks for the replies everyone!

I just wanted to see how you all perceived it. Like I said, I saw a Mercedes SLK which wasn't cat D in a poorer state than this GS300. The car I bought it was clearly a minor shunt, I pulled off all the plastic under the bonnet and the subframe looked fine, the radiator wasn't even replaced in the bump. It did look like roadrage - like the driver of the GS went up the back of someone (damaging the bonnet and bumper) who then got out and hit a couple of spots on the driver's wing and once on the B-pillar with a bat or something. The bumper was replaced before I got the car and I'm having the B-pillar and bonnet completely redone now.

I will show you all photos soon because we all like photos! I always liked the GS300 mk3 anyway and at current prices couldn't afford one but to pick up an SE-L at what must be £3-5k off list price I think I done well here. And this was a flat black coloured one (I don't think it's metallic) with vanity glass in the back, driving it around was a nice experience and I got the 'jaw-drop' from my friend's friends when I arrived in it.

Worst case if this all goes to pot, I didn't spend a hideous amount of money and I'd never pay more than I could afford, if it did all go bad, I would buy a first-gen IS again without a shadow out of doubt, I'm keeping my IS200 for a week or two just before I commit to selling that because I really don't want to!

My last is200 was a cat d and i did not even know until i came to sell it and the buyer did a check it came back as stolen recovered, he knocked me down about £200 for that, so something i now check for and would avoid because you will be knocked down when you come to sell.

Regards

Russell.

I know my GS300 is a Cat D, the seller was very open about it and I did an HPI check which confirmed it. Given the massive discount from the book value, I know when I need to sell it, I won't be able to get the the full value at that time and wouldn't expect to. People say subtract 20% off a non-cat D vehicle for a good estimate and that for a car older than 8 years it tends to matter very little.

I'm sure with good servicing and care I'll be ok in a few years when it's time for a change but for now I get to drive a great car for a lot less than I really should!

Also I should add, legally you must inform the potential buyer of it's listing as a Cat D on VCAR whether you are private or a trader. Anyways me personally, I always do an HPI check unless the seller has already done one with proof of it's date.

Nothing wrong with a Cat C or D as long as they are repaired ok and you pay a good price for them :)

Had a Cat C Primera GT for years after a light front shunt no probs at all :)

Actually I think my particular Cat D wasn't repaired totally in the sense of the bodywork, all that the previous owner replaced was the cracked bumper, but I am nearly 100% certain there is no mechanical damage, the subframe wasn't shifted or bent and the car drives a dream (apart from a bit of road noise but I blame the tyres there). The bump at the front end was so light the radiator didn't even get touched or need replacing, and the car was serviced just 2000 miles before I bought it.

Anyway like I said, because I got a good price I booked it into a bodyshop to have the cosmetics cleaned up and despite having to pay decent money to have it fixed, I think this is a small price to pay!

img00196201007111400.jpg

You can see the crease on the bonnet, looks like the car got pushed under whatever was nudged. From what I've pieced together the car ran under a high lorry at low-speed, got pushed down and the driver got into a road-rage incident because there is also a small 1-2 inch dent on the B-pillar above the driver's door (I reckon that was a bat or something). The B-pillar is the other bit I paid to have fixed. I know the insurance settlement took about 8 months to resolve which is why I think it got the Cat D listing when it took too long and everyone was fed up.

Just putting myself at peace of mind really, but from the general response of everyone here it seems many of you aren't too bothered by minor shunts aside from the resell value which is how I though of this car when I bought it. End of the day, I'm young and couldn't afford to outright buy a third-gen GS300, let alone the SE-L model, the Cat D is the enabler somewhat - and the car looks awesome in black!

out of interest how does a Cat D affect your insurance premium?

I openly told my insurers (and they'd know when I gave them the car registration anyway I think) and they didn't seem bothered in the slightest, if anything they went a bit down because the car's market value is a bit lower. Obviously I am paying more overall for the GS300 because it's group 17 vs. my IS200's group 12 rating.

Someone please correct me if I'm wrong. At the end of the day, this is the way I see it - I am paying to insure the car for what it's worth so being a Cat D shouldn't affect it. I could be wrong?

Someone please correct me if I'm wrong. At the end of the day, this is the way I see it - I am paying to insure the car for what it's worth so being a Cat D shouldn't affect it. I could be wrong?

No you are not wrong. My neighbour has bought, fixed and sold cat D ( and sometimes Cat C ) for years. He is always up front when he sells and takes before and after pictures which he gives to the buyer. No one has ever had a problem with insurance and several people have been back and bought again.

As said earlier IF the repairs are done correctly there is no problem.

• 2 weeks later...

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links