Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

What Mpg Do Yo Get From Lpg

with fuel prices and mileage on the up and income going down its time to make a decision.

Ive toyed with the idea of gasing the LS for 12 months. Now i have a decision to make.

so i was wondering what i might expect to get to the gallon on LPG.

I do mainly rural and motorways and average 25/26 mpg.

Its going to cost £900 to get the car gased. The cars probably worth £750 to £1,000 as is.

I just wonder if its worth it. :unsure:

not if ur only doin it for 12 months, unless you are gonne drive a hell of a lot, as it'll take longer than a year for the fuel saving to cover the cost of the conversion

also i'm told lpg isn't as good for the engine so only benefits people who are gonna do lots and lots of miles in a short time as opposed to a long time solution

Id like to keep the car for the long term. Its a fantastic motor car. If it didnt need anythng doing to it id just get it gased an enjoy it.

But it needs a few things fixing. Cards on the table time...

It cost me £950 2 years ago with a full MOT. Since then ive done 30,000 miles and.....

replaced the alternator.

OSF top ball joint

2 rear springs

new rear screen

new rear bumper

fixed the Fr bumper

new plugs, oil and filters

disi and rota arms x2

4 new tyres

I dont think that is unreasonable for a 16 year old car and 2 years driving.

It now needs...

NSF top ball joint

rear control arms x2

the exhaust to cats welding up

and wheels refurbing.

All that (rear control arms SH) plus the gas conversion is £1,300 plus my own time.

Thats what i mean by " is it worth it". If i can get the equivalent of 45mpg it maybe is. If not I might buy, sorry for this, a Rover 75 CDTi tourer. 50MPG is very tempting just now. :tomato:

Hi John I had mine converted, Ive done 20k now so it has paid for itself (£1750 for a multipoint conversion). My mileage is quite mixed but if you are averageing 25/26 mpg on petrol you should get 45 equiverlent on gas. All depends how much gas is in your area.

It will up the value of your car aswell.

My mate just sold his gassed 93 model with 225k on it for £1500 he done 140k trouble free miles on gas in 8 years.

Gas is better for your engine than petrol as long as its set up correct.

For me its a no brainer go for it.

Correct me if I'm wrong but I thought that whilst the benefit of LPG is that its much cheaper, the downside is a much reduced MPG. Also, it intrigues me that the addition of LPG is so horribly expensive. What do they fit that costs so much?

Correct me if I'm wrong but I thought that whilst the benefit of LPG is that its much cheaper, the downside is a much reduced MPG. Also, it intrigues me that the addition of LPG is so horribly expensive. What do they fit that costs so much?

And a thread I read on here said that you usually need a much larger LPG tank than you would think, due to filling ( pressure ) problems and that it takes up the whole of the boot space generally.

A big downside maybe !

Malc

Somewhat reduced, my MkII gets 22MPG at best on a long run, usually 20. Around town, stop start, worst is 14MPG

Installation includes a big heavy duty tank, and various options at the engine end. Tanks hold 80% of their capacity to allow for liquid expansion.

I have 2 tanks, one replaces the spare, one takes up a lot of boot space, but I wanted the range, 300miles.

Mine was converted when I got it, though I fitted the 2nd tank. Couldn't afford to run it on petrol

Hi Steve this all depends on which type of kit you fit.

Mine is a brc plug & drive multipoint injection kit ( more economical than a single point )

I get about 10% less mpg on gas than petrol on a 250 mile trip I use around £28 of gas at 80mph.

My kit consists of a filler,a doughnut 70litre tank(62 litres fill) that fits in the spare wheel well, a valve on the tank, a vapouriser, a filter, 8 injectors, Its own ecu that piggy backs off the car ecu,a lpg gauge, & all the pipework + electrics in between.

Add in a good 10 hours labour to fit it & 3 hours to set it up properly. I didn't feel at £1750 it was too expensive. Its paid for itself within 20K & costs me less to run now than my Mothers 1.6vvti corrola auto. Its my second gas car & for me I wouldn't go back to petrol & nothing will get me out of my LS ( I must confess I use it much more than I would if it was on petrol & drive it a bit more heavy footed).

I also drive to Germany quite often passing through Belguim where gas is a third of the price of petrol. I done 650 miles London to south Germany on 49 euros doing a steady 80 mph, on the way back I used 75 euros doing a steady 130mph on the autobahn.

LPG is also much greener than petrol.

As you might have gathered its not only the car thats converted :D

And a thread I read on here said that you usually need a much larger LPG tank than you would think, due to filling ( pressure ) problems and that it takes up the whole of the boot space generally.

A big downside maybe !

Malc

Hi Malc you can get a 90 litre tank ( 72 litre fill ) in the spare wheel well, I carry a couple of tubes of ride on puncture sealent a 12volt commpressor & a cord type hole pluging kit with me, so dont need a spare wheel. So dont lose any boot space apart from the centre of the spare wheel.

well i have a etagas multipoint system on mine and i gat around town 12miles to gallon of gas, remember the price of gas and long run i have done 280 to £60 gas.not hanging about so she could do much more.

as for damage to the engine NOT SO i have been to tartini recently for new remap on gas and he tells me ls400 does not need flash lube and does no damage this i had proved when he connected the lap top during long test drive and every thing is as new and this system has been on this car 7 yrs, long enough to do damage if it was going to.

well i have a etagas multipoint system on mine and i gat around town 12miles to gallon of gas, remember the price of gas and long run i have done 280 to £60 gas.not hanging about so she could do much more.

as for damage to the engine NOT SO i have been to tartini recently for new remap on gas and he tells me ls400 does not need flash lube and does no damage this i had proved when he connected the lap top during long test drive and every thing is as new and this system has been on this car 7 yrs, long enough to do damage if it was going to.

Hi do you drive your ls flat out all the time,280 miles to £60 is shocking, your system is useing nearly twice as much as mine.

if your getting 50mpg out fo a rover 75 diesel estate it's probably being towed by RAC trucks alot...

that oir my wifes seat ibiza 1.9 TDi isn't as economical as it should be(42mpg on biodiesel, 50-55mpg on normal diesel).

I've fitted my gas in november it paid for itself in a couple of months as i got rid of our third car and didn't need to pay out tax/insurance on it anymore plus the LPG savings.

With a Marnelli (sp?) multi-point flash-lubed system i am getting 22mpg on motorway and 16mpg doing pizza deliveries around town, if i didn't drive at 80mph on motorway it'd probably get even better, fortnight ago travelling 5 up with luggage to an from alton towers at 70mph it did 23mpg so i imagine with just me that'd be 25-26 at least.

Oh and yes the look oin peoples faces when i turn up in a LS400 delivering pizza's is easily worth the cost fo the conversion lmao.

I had my MkIV converted almost 5 years ago with a Tartarini multi-pont system.

The chap that services the gas system does an excellent job of optimizing the fuel economy giving 20mpg around town and 27mpg on the motorway.

It has a toroidal gas tank where the spare wheel used to be, so no loss of boot space. I get around 250 miles between fill ups on mainly town type driving.

I've done 40,000 trouble-free miles since conversion and I'm wondering about possibly selling it to try the RX.

It's a 1998 car with only 90,000 miles on the clock.

Lpg all the way for me. I've been using it for the last 6 or so years and also sell the lpg. I've had my system fitted recently (Romano N). Need to get the first checkup done which I've not had time to do!! I worked out off £100 of petrol, I got approx 500 miles and on another occasion motorway driving (mainly 80mph) and sometimes upto 100 we managed 575 miles off £55 petrol. 500 miles on lpg costs me approx. £70 on lpg so there is a £30 saving on one trip.

I sometimes cover nearly 2000 miles in a week so for me it's definitely worth it.

My Aristo TT on lpg I would get 200 miles from £23 lpg (Modded to 400 bhp) and that was quicker than Lamborghini Gallardo's :winky: No power loss and that was a BRC 56 Multipoint sequential system.

Lpg all the way for me. I've been using it for the last 6 or so years and also sell the lpg. I've had my system fitted recently (Romano N). Need to get the first checkup done which I've not had time to do!! I worked out off £100 of petrol, I got approx 500 miles and on another occasion motorway driving (mainly 80mph) and sometimes upto 100 we managed 575 miles off £55 petrol. 500 miles on lpg costs me approx. £70 on lpg so there is a £30 saving on one trip.

I sometimes cover nearly 2000 miles in a week so for me it's definitely worth it.

My Aristo TT on lpg I would get 200 miles from £23 lpg (Modded to 400 bhp) and that was quicker than Lamborghini Gallardo's :winky: No power loss and that was a BRC 56 Multipoint sequential system.

Are you sure that is right BHT? 575 mile on £55 of petrol???

Thats about 54mpg!

Thats about 54mpg!

Sorry SJ, I think I was in another conversation talking to someone at the same time as typing!! What I meant was £65 I got 575 miles on the motorway.

There is a big saving when using the lpg, but you need to be doing the miles or keep the car for sometime for it to start paying back. It is the only way I can afford to run a 4.0 litre at the cost of running a diesel.

its MOT time next week. If it passes without too much trouble or advisaries i think ill take the plunge and have the old girl gased. I was looking for another 93/94 LS400 hoping to get a better one than mine. Less little niggles if you like. But all those i have rung up about have the same niggles. Slightly dodgey PAS pump, exhaust flanges, AC/clock readout blank, crappy wheels and a couple of trolley dings.

Break out the credit card. Its spendy spendy time.

Hope the car doesn't cost you too much to put through the test SJ. If you go for the gas, make sure you go to someone who knows what they're doing. I had a very bad first experience , the guy was a right butcher and left a right mess under the bonnet. The LS already has many wires there so potentially could *&^% things up on the car!

Thats about 54mpg!

The best ive done was on a trip to Silverstone & on to Stanstead from Ilford, Around 180 miles & it cost me £14.00 to fill up, I was doing 56 mph on the motorway as I was running very early, this was last year when gas was 56p a liter. My trip computer registered an average of 34 mpg. I recon its around 60mpg equiverlent.

Thats about 54mpg!

The best ive done was on a trip to Silverstone & on to Stanstead from Ilford, Around 180 miles & it cost me £14.00 to fill up, I was doing 56 mph on the motorway as I was running very early, this was last year when gas was 56p a liter. My trip computer registered an average of 34 mpg. I recon its around 60mpg equiverlent.

34mpg from a LS is fantastic. I averaged 30.22 on a 400 mile trip last year. Mainly motorways and country roads but at 70-75 on the motorway not 56mph. On the same trip i normally average 26mpg with 75-80 on the motorway.

Maybe we should run a competition for thr most miles on a gallon of juice!

with fuel prices and mileage on the up and income going down its time to make a decision.

Ive toyed with the idea of gasing the LS for 12 months. Now i have a decision to make.

so i was wondering what i might expect to get to the gallon on LPG.

I do mainly rural and motorways and average 25/26 mpg.

Its going to cost £900 to get the car gased. The cars probably worth £750 to £1,000 as is.

I just wonder if its worth it. :unsure:

not worth it mate.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links