Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Quoted £12,000 For An Is200 Sat Nav Installation

Hi all, so i contacted lexus and asked the cost for an IS200 Sat Nav to be installed into my car and i was sadly told that this is a factory fit item only and becuase of this, the parts alone would cost me a whopping £12,000!

I was expecting a few 100 with a further couple 100 labour.

So now what electrical goody do i put there now??

Also if i do put a non lexus part in there, does this mean lexus will not service my car at all?

Hi all, so i contacted lexus and asked the cost for an IS200 Sat Nav to be installed into my car and i was sadly told that this is a factory fit item only and becuase of this, the parts alone would cost me a whopping £12,000!

I was expecting a few 100 with a further couple 100 labour.

So now what electrical goody do i put there now??

Also if i do put a non lexus part in there, does this mean lexus will not service my car at all?

WTF :o

I knew they were expensive but that is mad. Just put a TomTom or something similar in :)

Andy

£12k for sat nav technology that's 10 years old? They're havin' a laugh! Get a TomTom (other portable GPS systems also avaliable)- job done.

£12k? Think they were pulling you leg matey... you can get satnav units on ebay for a few hundred quid (although they don't come up all that often)

Quoted from Lexus Birmingham via eBay correspondence :(

I have a tomtom one but its to teeny for the IS. Looks like its going to stay as a sunglasses holder for the time being it seems. Need to do some more re-search on what units can fit in there as i'm very eager to have a tv/dvd installed (for the family mainly). All i know of so far is some sort of Sony intergrated system thats on youtube.

go and get one out the scrappy link i posted recently - about three there with remote controls and different satnav centre bits all complete - get everybit of wiring and im told as long as your chassis no doesnt start with 18 they fit - check with forum experts first though to be sure - or just get the airvent and screen bit and put a sony nuvi screen in like patrick or fit an alpine screen and freeview tv/dvd etc incorporated with satnav

go and get one out the scrappy link i posted recently - about three there with remote controls and different satnav centre bits all complete - get everybit of wiring and im told as long as your chassis no doesnt start with 18 they fit - check with forum experts first though to be sure - or just get the airvent and screen bit and put a sony nuvi screen in like patrick or fit an alpine screen and freeview tv/dvd etc incorporated with satnav

Hey, just wanting to pick your brains a bit more if i may.

I did see the post you did about the scrapyard, sadly i live in Whitley bay, Newcastle and is a mission and a half to get there and wouldn't have a clue as to what wiring i needed to take either sadly :(

However i am also interested in the idea of installing something completly different and would like to know if you have any more info on what can be installed? Anything at all that can be installed in that slot with a screen able to play tv/dvd (built in sat nav also would just be a bonus). Im looking at spending at most £400. Basically, press a button, screen pops up and plays tv/dvds (sat nav would be a bonus)

cheers, Ian

no problem mate - heres patricks HERE -

I NEVER DID IT BUT GAVE IT SOME THOUGHT - PROBLEM WITH PATRICKS COULD BE UPDATING CAMERA ALERTS AND NO DVD ETC SO IF U USED AN ALPINE SCREEN YOU COULD LINK IT TO A BRAIN IN THE BOOT AND FREEVIEW DIVERSITY TV ( THE ONE WITH TWO AERIELS FOR IMPROVED RECEPTION AND A DVD PLAYER THEN LINK that back to oem head unit using a grom adapter - sorry for caps diddnt realise they were on - not sure how it would work but in theory it should - screens can be had for £70 upwards ( doesnt have to be alpine,diversity tv recievers come up on eBay for £80 sometimes,grom is about £80 - more for new stuff obviously - remaining problem is the satnav but must be a way to do it but might need a touchscreen which would be more expensive

Best option is to get hold of the satnav housing, and put your own screen in there - that gives you far more options, satnav, tv, dvd, reverse camera, etc.

Will the sat nav unit install into my car? In other words, do i just need the sat nav unit and the wires attached to it and it slots right in? Or are there other components i will need?

cheers

The wires arent already in a non sat nav car so you cant install it yourself.

best option is to get the screen unit and install your own satnav as per patriks thread.

Im just about to make one myself to sell on as a bit of a project.

pop up screen and sony NV-U82G satnav

Did you search the LOC forums?

http://www.lexusownersclub.co.uk/forum/index.php?showtopic=9184&st=0&p=85055entry85055

The photo links are still there.

I still have a unit never used wrapped up in a box in my loft, but you'll need a sat nav unit to connect to it which has video composite output (yellow phono) and someone to wire it. .

Did you search the LOC forums?

http://www.lexusownersclub.co.uk/forum/index.php?showtopic=9184&st=0&p=85055entry85055

The photo links are still there.

I still have a unit never used wrapped up in a box in my loft, but you'll need a sat nav unit to connect to it which has video composite output (yellow phono) and someone to wire it. .

Whoa that goes way back! You've still got one of those units then? Was a group buy ever sorted on those, I remember there was a lot of interest all those years ago............

Will the sat nav unit install into my car? In other words, do i just need the sat nav unit and the wires attached to it and it slots right in? Or are there other components i will need?

Sorry if I mislead you, it's very difficult to retrofit the OEM satnav as cars with satnav have a different wiring loom (hence the £12k price you've been quoted). I meant to just get the housing and then stick in an aftermarket screen with whatever inputs you want. The motorised housing makes it look OEM, but you'll have a lot more options available to you.