Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

1995 Ls400 Mk3 Vixcous Fan Replacement

Has anyone replaced there LS400's viscous fan with an electric one or know of where i can get a kit to do this? only realised otherday that i have a viscous fan (i hardly ever pop the bonnet and look in that area usually just check oil then close again.

I had a sierra Xr4x4 with the 2.9 cologne engine and knew that taking off the viscous and sticking in electric fans from DOHC sierra used to give abig bonus to MPG and BHP and would like to do same for my LS400.

thanks

http://www.lextreme.com/fan.html

http://www.lexls.com/tutorials/cooling/fanconversion.html

hmmm anychance a mod could spell Viscous fan for me correctly :lol:

thanks

Has anyone replaced there LS400's viscous fan with an electric one or know of where i can get a kit to do this? only realised otherday that i have a viscous fan (i hardly ever pop the bonnet and look in that area usually just check oil then close again.

I had a sierra Xr4x4 with the 2.9 cologne engine and knew that taking off the viscous and sticking in electric fans from DOHC sierra used to give abig bonus to MPG and BHP and would like to do same for my LS400.

thanks

http://www.lextreme.com/fan.html

http://www.lexls.com...conversion.html

£1300 for lpg conversion?thats a rip-off mate.actual kit costs only£250 and 2hrs labour

yes if you want a fuel tank that leaks and a system that blows your engine to bits. 2 hours? are you mad?

Hi John.

I think our friend has joined today with the sole aim of rattling cages. He's done you and me. He also appears to have a model I'm not familiar with; the LX430. Perhaps this model is capable of hosting a ten-bob LPG system, never suffers a flat Battery due to the dilithium crystals and has a programme which automatically avoids Kwikfit depots.

:lol: to be fair some, note thats some Kwik-fits aren't too bad, i'd NEVER go to fareham but gosport 4 miles down the road from it i generally find is fine (that and the staff drive a skyline/evo and some other nice car i can't remember so i thik they actually care a bit about customers cars). thanks for the warning.

yes if you want a fuel tank that leaks and a system that blows your engine to bits. 2 hours? are you mad?

Hi John.

I think our friend has joined today with the sole aim of rattling cages. He's done you and me. He also appears to have a model I'm not familiar with; the LX430. Perhaps this model is capable of hosting a ten-bob LPG system, never suffers a flat Battery due to the dilithium crystals and has a programme which automatically avoids Kwikfit depots.

17 posts in the 1hr 15 min since joining is pretty good going, nothing after that so far.

Can't help with the viscous fan question but it is an interesting point as it is true that they do sap power.

I've changed them on other cars but my LS still has his.

Hi John.

17 posts in the 1hr 15 min since joining is pretty good going, nothing after that so far.

Can't help with the viscous fan question but it is an interesting point as it is true that they do sap power.

I've changed them on other cars but my LS still has his.

I like the roar the fan creates on start-up and I hate the electric fans which run on after the engine is turned off. However, I can see the benefits of the electric-only option if high mileage is involved.

I thought the viscous fan used significantly less fuel than the old belt driven fixed fan. I have never seen any stats. maybe I'm "barking" :winky:

[

I like the roar the fan creates on start-up and I hate the electric fans which run on after the engine is turned off. However, I can see the benefits of the electric-only option if high mileage is involved.

I thought the viscous fan used significantly less fuel than the old belt driven fixed fan. I have never seen any stats. maybe I'm "barking" :winky:

Yes certainly better than the belt driven system, but according to popular opinion the viscous fan is not as efficient as an electric only.

It is after all always moving some air even if limited when not engaged. Electric is more sensitive and adjustable and obvious when it's stopped working properly.

As far as I can remember pretty much all new cars seem to have gone electric, prepared to be corrected there.

There is quite a bit of space to fit an electric once the old fan is removed. Whether it runs on or not after engine shut down depends on how it's wired in of cource.

Can't say I'll be doing mine any time soon though.

Hi John.

My wife said he's probably also confusing NOS and LPG...

As far as I can remember pretty much all new cars seem to have gone electric, prepared to be corrected there.

Read an article today about the new Shogun, it has a viscous fan! I had a couple of new Shoguns back when I had more money and even more kids. Wonderful vehicles. Love the LS400 more.