Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Squealing Brakes

Redsteve

Hello guys,

I am after a bit of advice before I go completely insane.

About 3 months ago I replaced the front discs and pads on the LS. The discs are "Blueprint" but I can't remember what brand the pads were (I do remember that I hadn't heard of the brand before).

Anyway, all was good for a few days, then the squealing started. It was just for a second or two when the brakes were cold to start with, but then it was all the time if I was light on the brake pedal.

It was driving me mad, not to mention the fact it was highly embarassing to be wafting through town only to squeal to a halt at the traffic lights or at a junction or in a queue or anywhere else I had to slow down.

So, last week, I bought a replacement set of pads, also "Blueprint" and put them in on Sunday.

All was well on Monday, it was pure bliss driving and stopping in silence. However, on Tuesday, the squealing started again, just for a second or two when the brakes are cold. I fully expect this set of pads to become as annoying as the last set, it's just a matter of time.

Before you ask, the discs have been cleaned three times with brake and clutch cleaner (twice by me, using my fluid and once by a friend, using his) and the pads have been taken out and roughed up a bit.

The pads have had a coating of Copper Grease on the back.

I do know that there are no anti-squeal shims on the brakes but I have never had any on this car and never had this problem until 3 months ago when the new parts went on.

Does anyone know what might be causing the brakes to squeal and how to stop it.

Hopefully someone can help me before I have to start driving round with ear defenders on!

Thanks.

Steve.

Hello guys,

I am after a bit of advice before I go completely insane.

About 3 months ago I replaced the front discs and pads on the LS. The discs are "Blueprint" but I can't remember what brand the pads were (I do remember that I hadn't heard of the brand before).

Anyway, all was good for a few days, then the squealing started. It was just for a second or two when the brakes were cold to start with, but then it was all the time if I was light on the brake pedal.

It was driving me mad, not to mention the fact it was highly embarassing to be wafting through town only to squeal to a halt at the traffic lights or at a junction or in a queue or anywhere else I had to slow down.

So, last week, I bought a replacement set of pads, also "Blueprint" and put them in on Sunday.

All was well on Monday, it was pure bliss driving and stopping in silence. However, on Tuesday, the squealing started again, just for a second or two when the brakes are cold. I fully expect this set of pads to become as annoying as the last set, it's just a matter of time.

Before you ask, the discs have been cleaned three times with brake and clutch cleaner (twice by me, using my fluid and once by a friend, using his) and the pads have been taken out and roughed up a bit.

The pads have had a coating of Copper Grease on the back.

I do know that there are no anti-squeal shims on the brakes but I have never had any on this car and never had this problem until 3 months ago when the new parts went on.

Does anyone know what might be causing the brakes to squeal and how to stop it.

Hopefully someone can help me before I have to start driving round with ear defenders on!

Thanks.

Steve.

Hi Steve

I suspect that the problem is with the pin that secures the pads to the caliper. Did you recently post that you had bought new ones? I have a similar problem as a result of one of my pins been slighty bent. I never replaced it because I was quoted £35. From time to time the bent one starts squealing in reverse and eventually it squeals when lightly braking going forward. And yes, like you, its rather embarrassing as of course it only happens in traffic when everyone has their window down, pedestrians etc. The only "cure" is to strip it out and gobbo around with copper grease and rebuild.

I think that the bend in mine (front n/s) allows the unit to move fractionally, which causes the squeal. I am almost certain that your problem is similar and nothing to do with the pads or discs. If you did fit new pins, did you keep the old ones? If so refit these and see if this helps. If you didnt fit new ones, check, if you can, that you re-fitted them in the same place and that you havent bent them when refitting.

Thanks, Steve, for that little gem of info.

I will try greasing the sliders at some time over the weekend , it is so windy here at the moment I am scared the car will get blown off the jack!

I will keep you posted as to how I get on.

Thanks.

Steve.

Thanks, Steve, for that little gem of info.

I will try greasing the sliders at some time over the weekend , it is so windy here at the moment I am scared the car will get blown off the jack!

I will keep you posted as to how I get on.

Thanks.

Steve.

I know what you mean about the wind, but its started to die down here now.

Look forward to hearing progress.

Hello again.

Well, I have greased the sliders and the cross shaped springy thing that tensions the pads. I even checked the calliper bolts were tight. That was my first job of the afternoon.

I then cut the grass, which is quite a big job, and then I cleaned out the pond and topped it up with water.

All this has taken about 5 hours to do, my plan was to test the brakes after I had done all my jobs.

However, I was so hot after the grass cutting and pond cleaning I came indoors for a drink.

A couple of cans of lager later and there will be no brakes test today.

I will let you know how it has gone when I get home from work tomorrow.

Fingers crossed.

Steve.

• Like 1

Hello again.

Well, I have greased the sliders and the cross shaped springy thing that tensions the pads. I even checked the calliper bolts were tight. That was my first job of the afternoon.

I then cut the grass, which is quite a big job, and then I cleaned out the pond and topped it up with water.

All this has taken about 5 hours to do, my plan was to test the brakes after I had done all my jobs.

However, I was so hot after the grass cutting and pond cleaning I came indoors for a drink.

A couple of cans of lager later and there will be no brakes test today.

I will let you know how it has gone when I get home from work tomorrow.

Fingers crossed.

Steve.

You should have had the lager immediately after doing the brakes, then you could have topped-up the pond via nature whilst cutting the grass, thereby giving you time to have a driver drive whilst you stuck your head out to listen to...............................

The sound of silence :winky: Fingers crossed.

Brake squeal is a frustrating problem I had something similar on a Holden Commodore years ago, tried everything and in the end used a product on the back of the pads sort of similar to copper grease but thicker and blue in colour.

No idea what it was called and was probably an Australian product anyway.

I pulled the pads on the wife's Hyundai a few weeks back though and saw something similar there, so it must exist.

Apparently all brakes squeal but not usually in our range of hearing, not that that helps, but think of all the dogs you could be upsetting.

Hi guys,

here is the report on the squealing pads.

I set off for work this morning full of hope, within 200 yards my hopes were dashed, the squealing was still there. It was still there at the next junction too, but by junction number 3 it had stopped. This is how it has been for the last week on these new pads. There was no more squealing all the way to work.

On the way home it was a different story, not a peep from the brakes at all.

I have my fingers crossed it has stopped, it was so nice not having to listen the damn things.

If you could try and find out what the blue stuff you are talking about is called, Hydrostat, I would appreciate it, it might come in handy if this problem re-presents itself.

I am keeping my fingers crossed.

Thanks for the help and advice, I will keep you posted as to how the brakes behave through the week.

Steve.

Hi guys,

here is the report on the squealing pads.

I set off for work this morning full of hope, within 200 yards my hopes were dashed, the squealing was still there. It was still there at the next junction too, but by junction number 3 it had stopped. This is how it has been for the last week on these new pads. There was no more squealing all the way to work.

On the way home it was a different story, not a peep from the brakes at all.

I have my fingers crossed it has stopped, it was so nice not having to listen the damn things.

If you could try and find out what the blue stuff you are talking about is called, Hydrostat, I would appreciate it, it might come in handy if this problem re-presents itself.

I am keeping my fingers crossed.

Thanks for the help and advice, I will keep you posted as to how the brakes behave through the week.

Steve.

Hopefully the squealing this morning was whilst the brakes were settling back after being disturbed.

I fitted Blueprint discs and pads about 4 months ago, and yes they now squeal too - only when damp during first application in the morning, but unfortunately now constantly when driving (almost inaudible unless window down). This is despite plenty copaslip to prevent this happening. The squeal didn't start right away, but it is starting to get annoying now - I'll have to investigate further - maybe a common problem with Blueprint parts, although they generally get a good reputation for quality.

Pete

Hi Pete,

I really hope I haven't brought this problem on by using Blueprint parts. I specifically sourced the discs as I had read so many good reports of their quality parts on this very forum.

If it does turn out to be the discs I am going to have to learn to turn up the stereo a bit more, I could afford to take the hit on a new set of pads but not on a new set of discs!

Steve.

Well Chaps,

no noise from the brakes at all today...

Dare I hope the problem has been fixed?

I am going to reserve judgment for the time being, I will give it a few more days before I am confident it has stopped completely.

Thanks for all the advice so far, I will let you know what happens through the week.

Steve.

Well Chaps,

no noise from the brakes at all today...

Dare I hope the problem has been fixed?

I am going to reserve judgment for the time being, I will give it a few more days before I am confident it has stopped completely.

Thanks for all the advice so far, I will let you know what happens through the week.

Steve.

Hi again. Glad to be of any help. Please note that if yours is like mine, it will eventually squeal again although probably not for 6 months.

I found that the blueprint pads are hit and miss on the squeliing front. Have had some that do and some that don't If you have a squealling set of blueprint pads then take them out and have a loof at the surface. If it's all pitted or small hole like on the surface then just get another set as it's normally a bad mix of compound from the makers.

I use Apec discs and brake pads now and had no problems since. They are cheap as blueprint to buy.

Hello again guys,

brake update...

They are squealing like a pair of stuck pigs!

I am beginning to lose my patience, one day they are fine, the next they are not.

If it was a problem with the composition of the pads or the discs surely they would squeal all the time?

If I brake firmly there is no noise but if I just "feather" the brakes then it's quite bad.

This leads me to think that it's caused by some vibration somewhere.

The slider pins are a good fit through the calliper but the holes they pass through in the pads are quite large so I am wondering if that's where the problem lies.

I suppose I will be pulling them apart at the weekend again to see what I can do.

Anyhow, I will keep you updated as to how I get on.

Steve.

Hello again guys,

brake update...

They are squealing like a pair of stuck pigs!

I am beginning to lose my patience, one day they are fine, the next they are not.

If it was a problem with the composition of the pads or the discs surely they would squeal all the time?

If I brake firmly there is no noise but if I just "feather" the brakes then it's quite bad.

This leads me to think that it's caused by some vibration somewhere.

The slider pins are a good fit through the calliper but the holes they pass through in the pads are quite large so I am wondering if that's where the problem lies.

I suppose I will be pulling them apart at the weekend again to see what I can do.

Anyhow, I will keep you updated as to how I get on.

Steve.

Hi.

You didn't say if you kept the old pins and whether you refitted them. More hassle I know and I can feel your frustration.

Mine were squeal free for a day, despite everything moving freely and dosed with copaslip.It doesn't squeal when brakes are applied, just when it is driving normally.

I think it must be something to do with the blueprint pads.

Pete

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Guys,

sorry it has been a while since I updated this thread, it has been really busy at work and the list of jobs at home was mounting up so the brakes just had to wait.

Anyway, I stripped the brakes down again, removed the callipers and discs, made sure everything was nice and clean and then re-assembled everything using copper grease where necessary.

The brakes were silent for half a day!

I know that the upper control arm bushes are quite worn and they are now beginning to creak when I go down bumpy roads. I am wondering if this could have anything to do with the squealing problem, maybe something is vibrating due to the worn bushes. Does this sound feasible or am I just clutching at straws?

I have used the old slider pins, it must have been someone else who bought new ones Steve.

Thanks for all the advice so far, I really appreciate it.

Last weekend my Sister-in-Law brought her Mondeo round for me to put new front pads in, I did that job and guess what, her brakes don't squeal!!!!!!!!!!!!

Once again, thanks for all your replies.

Steve.

• Like 1

I have just fited new disks and pads, cheapest I could find on eBay, and I have nice quiet brakes.

I did refit the 2 springs that act to keep the pads apart, and perhaps dampen any vibration. I also refited the metal shims on the backs of the pads.

Perhaps shims and springs, or any anti-squeal bits, could be got from the Lexus dealer