Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Lexus Owner Member To Be.... A Few Questions.

Hello,

I'm hoping this is the right place for my first thread on this forum.

I started reading it a few weeks ago, since I decided my next car would be GS300. I have recently visited Lexus Woodford and chose the car I like. I'll be picking it up early next week - already getting excited.

Now, I have a few worries or - rather - questions. It's a 4-year old car but only has done 22k miles. I have read on the Lexus website how many checks they do etc. for approved cars - can I trust it? Do dealers adhere to these guidelines or shall I do an independent chec... I'm especially concerned about potential accident history, mileage etc.

One more thing. I noticed a small rusty spot at the end of the right wheel arch - where the wing "touches" the front bumper. Surprisingly, another vehicle I considered had a similar problem. My previous car had a few rusty patches that spread from tiny spots and I'm not keen to see it on my new car. Is this something that may become an issue? I asked a few times about it but was assured that "you don't see rusty Lexuses around as they are perfectly protected so this won't grow". Any comments from more experienced owners...?

Is there anything else I should pay special attention to? Any other tips, typical problems etc. before I collect it?

Any help will be much appreciated.

S.

I would be very concerned about the rust on a car that is only 4 years old. The wing and front "bumper"/valance should not touch to the degree that it rubs the paint off and rusts......especially since the "bumper"/valance is not metal. Check that all the gaps between panels are are equal on both sides of the car. Ask to see the V5 and contact the previous owner to see what caused this. If you buy the car the dealer will have the rust touched up and you wont see it but it could then reappear in a couple of years.

Buying from a Lexus dealer means you will get a full 12 months warranty on it but that wont cover rust unless it is rusting from "inside" the metal. The dealer told you that you don't see any rusty Lexus because they are "so well protected" so what has managed to breach that protection?

Hello,

I'm hoping this is the right place for my first thread on this forum.

I started reading it a few weeks ago, since I decided my next car would be GS300. I have recently visited Lexus Woodford and chose the car I like. I'll be picking it up early next week - already getting excited.

Now, I have a few worries or - rather - questions. It's a 4-year old car but only has done 22k miles. I have read on the Lexus website how many checks they do etc. for approved cars - can I trust it? Do dealers adhere to these guidelines or shall I do an independent chec... I'm especially concerned about potential accident history, mileage etc.

One more thing. I noticed a small rusty spot at the end of the right wheel arch - where the wing "touches" the front bumper. Surprisingly, another vehicle I considered had a similar problem. My previous car had a few rusty patches that spread from tiny spots and I'm not keen to see it on my new car. Is this something that may become an issue? I asked a few times about it but was assured that "you don't see rusty Lexuses around as they are perfectly protected so this won't grow". Any comments from more experienced owners...?

Is there anything else I should pay special attention to? Any other tips, typical problems etc. before I collect it?

Any help will be much appreciated.

S.

There are two recalls that I know of for the 2006 GS300 one for the rear brake caliper replacement and one for electric power steering linkage replacement. These should have been done for free already as a matter of course. Make sure that you confirm with Lexus that they have been done. My 2006 GS300 was always serviced by Lexus before I bought it so I assumed that any recalls would have already been done but they were not. My car went into Lexus last year for both recalls free of charge. Make sure yours has been done.

Hello,

thank you for your replies.

I would be very concerned about the rust on a car that is only 4 years old. The wing and front "bumper"/valance should not touch to the degree that it rubs the paint off and rusts......especially since the "bumper"/valance is not metal. Check that all the gaps between panels are are equal on both sides of the car. Ask to see the V5 and contact the previous owner to see what caused this. If you buy the car the dealer will have the rust touched up and you wont see it but it could then reappear in a couple of years.

Buying from a Lexus dealer means you will get a full 12 months warranty on it but that wont cover rust unless it is rusting from "inside" the metal. The dealer told you that you don't see any rusty Lexus because they are "so well protected" so what has managed to breach that protection?

The bumper does not touch the wing, there is a gap as expected. From what I have seen, the paint peeled off a bit first revealing metal which got a bit of rust - is not the case that rust started under the paint coat first (i.e. typical "bubbles"). I'll check gaps again though...

There are two recalls that I know of for the 2006 GS300 one for the rear brake caliper replacement and one for electric power steering linkage replacement. These should have been done for free already as a matter of course. Make sure that you confirm with Lexus that they have been done. My 2006 GS300 was always serviced by Lexus before I bought it so I assumed that any recalls would have already been done but they were not. My car went into Lexus last year for both recalls free of charge. Make sure yours has been done.

Will do. Where can I find the record this recall work has been actually carried out?

Hello,

thank you for your replies.

The bumper does not touch the wing, there is a gap as expected. From what I have seen, the paint peeled off a bit first revealing metal which got a bit of rust - is not the case that rust started under the paint coat first (i.e. typical "bubbles"). I'll check gaps again though...

Will do. Where can I find the record this recall work has been actually carried out?

There should be a certificate of recall work completed with the service history but if not details will be on the Lexus database