Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Folding Keys For Is200?

Basically I've just bought myself an IS200 Sport, love the car, just not too keen on the keys. I can see them poking holes in my pockets after a while.

Would a Lexus dealer be able to sell me a new style folding key programmed from my master? Or do Lexus just not do folding keys?

I've been looking up these DIY style kits where you buy a blank folding key, get it cut and then just swap over all the internals? Here's what I found on eBay

Has anyone tried this before?

Any feedback much appreciated.

Lexus doesn't do folding keys, they went from the keys we've got straight to the keyless fobs on the latest models. I remember someone getting one of those folding keys off eBay, he was reasonably happy with it but it is very large. Other than that it's a good way to go if you really want a folding key.

Thanks for the heads up guys, the car came with 3 keys anyway so I've got one to play with. Something else which is slightly confusing, I'm sure I read somewhere that the master key is the one with 3 buttons. Yet the car has 2 black keys both with 3 buttons which dont light up the dashboard security light when inserted. And one grey one with only 2 buttons, which does light it up. I can only assume that the grey one is the master, but I'm sure people said the master has 3 buttons? :duh: I'll get past the nooby question stage soon...honest. B)

Thanks for the heads up guys, the car came with 3 keys anyway so I've got one to play with. Something else which is slightly confusing, I'm sure I read somewhere that the master key is the one with 3 buttons. Yet the car has 2 black keys both with 3 buttons which dont light up the dashboard security light when inserted. And one grey one with only 2 buttons, which does light it up. I can only assume that the grey one is the master, but I'm sure people said the master has 3 buttons? :duh: I'll get past the nooby question stage soon...honest. B)

Nope that's right, when you put a master in the light goes straight out, when you put the valet key in the light is supposed to stay on for a bit.

The black ones are definitely the masters, and the grey is the valet key.

Nope that's right, when you put a master in the light goes straight out, when you put the valet key in the light is supposed to stay on for a bit.

The black ones are definitely the masters, and the grey is the valet key.

Aaah I seee, I just got confused because I thought that being a 'master' key there would only be one. But thanks for clearing that up Parthiban, much appreciated.

Aaah I seee, I just got confused because I thought that being a 'master' key there would only be one. But thanks for clearing that up Parthiban, much appreciated.

No probs, the reason why you need 2 masters is that you need a master to program another key. If you have one master, and lose it, you end up with a very expensive problem. So always make sure you have 2 master keys :)