Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

hi everybody have a blowing manifold gasket on my 96 ls 400 how hard a job to do anybody know thanks for any help

Hi Bob and welcome. Have you tried searching this forum? Bottom left of this page. Look carefully at the results as the contents may include links to tutorials and to members who don't make regular postings.

hi everybody have a blowing manifold gasket on my 96 ls 400 how hard a job to do anybody know thanks for any help

Hi Bob and welcome. Have you tried searching this forum? Bottom left of this page. Look carefully at the results as the contents may include links to tutorials and to members who don't make regular postings.

thanks steve i will do a search

Not sure if the 96 model has the same "fault" as the earlier ones. If so there is a known weak point at the flanges between the cats and the 1st part of the stainless steel system. The flanges seem to be made of mild steel and rot out where they meet. If they arent too bad you can put new gaskets in (about £5 each) a bit of plastic metal and new bolts. Failing that, if they are really bad, you could try welding the cats to the "Y" pipe. Apparently it works quite well. Good luck and let us know how you get on.

PS. the flanges on mine are well knacked. I have to do mine(plastic metal) every 4 months. But it lasts longer if i dont floor the accelerator too often.

Not sure if the 96 model has the same "fault" as the earlier ones. If so there is a known weak point at the flanges between the cats and the 1st part of the stainless steel system. The flanges seem to be made of mild steel and rot out where they meet. If they arent too bad you can put new gaskets in (about £5 each) a bit of plastic metal and new bolts. Failing that, if they are really bad, you could try welding the cats to the "Y" pipe. Apparently it works quite well. Good luck and let us know how you get on.

PS. the flanges on mine are well knacked. I have to do mine(plastic metal) every 4 months. But it lasts longer if i dont floor the accelerator too often.

Hi have you checked the EGR pipe that runs from the back of the plenum chamber to the exhaust as this commonly fractures giving an exhaust blow, a pig of a job to do but may be worth investigating.

If it has fractured check you engine mounts as it is normally excess engine movement that starts it all off.

Hi have you checked the EGR pipe that runs from the back of the plenum chamber to the exhaust as this commonly fractures giving an exhaust blow, a pig of a job to do but may be worth investigating.

If it has fractured check you engine mounts as it is normally excess engine movement that starts it all off.

thanks steve if its hard to do is it hard to find

All I know is that the pipe runs from the rear part of the inlet plenum chamber and then down to the exhaust so you should be able to see the top part looking to the rear of the engine bay and the other from underneath the car.

I cannot give you the exact locations as mine is a JDM and the EGR system is not fitted in Japan (one less thing to go wrong!)

thanks steve if its hard to do is it hard to find

Hi again

There has been threads on here regarding the EGR pipe. Have a search and see how you get on.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links