Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Clunky, Creaking Brakes Plus Warping Issues!

Greedy80

mate sounds like a simple one,sound like the backing plate you will see a plate behind the disk just push that away mate job done do both sides....but yes as tiger says it happens a lot when working on the brakes..

Hi everyone again this is the first chance I've had to reply, so as I said in the last post I took the car back to the garage that day for them to check things out. So I left it with them for a few hours and the garage called to say that the car was ready to collect. When I arrived there they said that they had rechecked all the work they did i.e the overhaul of the front calliper and they regreased everything just in case.

The mechanic does admit hearing the noise when he rolled the car onto the ramps, anyway in doing what they did the noise disappeared that is until the following afternoon where it was as present as ever and could once again be heard really clearly when cornering left and putting weight on the front drivers side wheel. I have also noticed that at really low speeds approx 5-10mph the touching sound turns into a continual high pitched noise again sounding like contact.

I have quickly checked the backing plate but tomorrow I will put the car on full lock and really push back on that plate to see if it's the cause. The only reason I haven't done this yet is because I assumed this would have been rechecked by the garage especially as I mentioned it to them.

Anyway I will do this and then keep you guys up to date tomorrow morning. I just want this all to end once and for all.

Thanks again guys.

Mark

Sorry to hear that, this is starting to sound like a neverending saga! Hope it's a simple fix like TigerFish said though...........

If it isn't is a trip to WIM too far for you (not sure where Dorchester is)? With all this pain it might be worth taking it to them to have a good look at and maybe finally sort out (as they did with mine)

Good luck! :winky:

WIM isn't too far mate but it is far enough, I had the car WIM'ed last year and so I made the effort to get there then and if I lived nearer them I would have gone there like a shot in the first place as they did a top job last time I went. Overall I think the round trip was about 350 miles'ish. I may well make the trip again if my giving the backing plate a good push doesn't sort things out tomorrow.

As always thanks for your help and I'll keep you all updated.

If the plate was catching still, I would've expected the noise to have remained, not clearup and then come back.

Does the noise stop if you apply the brakes?

Only other things I can think of off the top of my head are

1. A rogue stone stuck somewhere

2. Spring clip on back edge of pads not put back on (the ones in the pic below), so maybe the pad is moving about a bit and resting on the disk in an odd position.

springs.jpg

Cheers for checking this out TigerFish.

Yeah once the car had been back to the garage it was fine I drove it with the window down and radio of and any left turns I made I paid particular attention to the noise being generated when steering left. I have to say there was nothing to report it all felt perfect and sounded fine but then by the afternoon of the following day I heard it again. There is every chance that the sound returned before then but I thought it had been cured so I didn't pay enough attention to have noticed before then.

In answer to your question about does the noise stop under braking it is a little difficult to tell as the sound that's there is either going away or obscured by the normal sound of braking.

Thanks for the image I will pop the wheel of and check this tomorrow night I hope it is that in away because at least then it's easily rectified. I will still be calling the garage today and probably drop the car back in with them again to have them take yet another look if only because it's free. But if they can't sort it I feel a trip to WIM or Lexus coming on and if/when they sort it a strongly worded letter sent to the garage that's been doing my work so far.

The saga continues........

Just another little update the touching sound is still there and again can still be made more apparent by turning quite hard to the left. Last night I gave the backing plate a decent tug back but still no change.

However I have paid a bit more attention to the noise and can now hear that it does continue when the car is under braking. So it would seem it's a bit less brake related and more likely the dust guard.

I'm thinking that perhaps the reason it went away and came back again could be that the mechanic re-greased the parts including any likely contact point between the disc and the guard then as the grease wore away back came the issue.

Anyway I will be taking the car back into the garage again at lunch to go over things once more....

...and a further update.

I have just spent my lunch driving to the garage and taking a couple of the mechanics out to listen to the noises being produced. Sure enough they all heard it and agreed that it sounded like pads making contact with the discs. Anyway through conversation I got on to the subject of the spring clips that TigerFish mentioned in this thread. In the mechanics word "Oh yeah they are definitely there, one on each side", at this point I stopped him and informed him that there is supposed to be two on each side. He replied with "yeah but I didn't have any in the workshop", can't bloody believe it! I'm thinking well what did you do with the ones that were there in the first place? Just goes to show once again what a resource this forum is.

So the springs are on order and will be fitted on Tuesday next week this hopefully will finally mean that the pads are properly held in place and away from the disc surface.

As always I'll let you know what happens.

Thanks

Hi Mates! Hi Greedy80! Hope it's ok to join this topic... early this morning while on my way to the office, i experienced the same noise on my brakes. I think Lexus should make a recall on this! lol.. anyways, this is so informative. i will check what tigerfish have posted. and wait for Greedy80's update.. thanks mates!

BTW, here's my experience, i can hear the noise when driving on a lowspeed then brake slowly. I can hear it also, even when i'm already still (0km/hr) and just pressed on the brakes harder. hmmmm could it be the same problem?

My Problem is now solved! I brought my car to a trusted shop here in Manila. Had my brakes cleaned and greased the slide pin. It is quiet again.. I just hope this last long! :D thanks to this very informative site..:-)

I hope that does solve the issue for you buddy but I have had that done in the past and yes the noise went away but it always came back.

My Problem is now solved! I brought my car to a trusted shop here in Manila. Had my brakes cleaned and greased the slide pin. It is quiet again.. I just hope this last long! :D thanks to this very informative site..:-)

I hope that does solve the issue for you buddy but I have had that done in the past and yes the noise went away but it always came back.

Thanks mate. I really hope it does! :)

...and a further update.

I have just spent my lunch driving to the garage and taking a couple of the mechanics out to listen to the noises being produced. Sure enough they all heard it and agreed that it sounded like pads making contact with the discs. Anyway through conversation I got on to the subject of the spring clips that TigerFish mentioned in this thread. In the mechanics word "Oh yeah they are definitely there, one on each side", at this point I stopped him and informed him that there is supposed to be two on each side. He replied with "yeah but I didn't have any in the workshop", can't bloody believe it! I'm thinking well what did you do with the ones that were there in the first place? Just goes to show once again what a resource this forum is.

So the springs are on order and will be fitted on Tuesday next week this hopefully will finally mean that the pads are properly held in place and away from the disc surface.

As always I'll let you know what happens.

Thanks

.....Right well leading on from this last post of mine I had the car in at the garage today and they have put the spring clips in place that TigerFish kindly pointed out. I thought that would be the end but it's not, driving the car home I have to admit it is much better and at 30mph the noise of the pads touching the disc is almost undetectable, that is until you turn hard left at which point you can once again clearly here the noise at that speed, better but still there. Also at lower speeds thing are improved but by no means gone I can still clearly hear the noise at crawling pace and in all honesty this is really frustrating now. I'm gonna have to get Lexus to check things out.

Anyway I thought I'd let you know how things are going.

Have they checked the wheel bearings for play? Running out of ideas with the brakes themselves. It is still sounding like the backing plate catching, so if it ain't the discs/pads themselves, I can only think the whole hub/disc assembly is moving. Good luck mate, I can understand your frustrations.

p.s. I assume the noise is definately coming from the discs and not a heat shield wobbling about and catching on the prop or something??

Have they checked the wheel bearings for play? Running out of ideas with the brakes themselves. It is still sounding like the backing plate catching, so if it ain't the discs/pads themselves, I can only think the whole hub/disc assembly is moving. Good luck mate, I can understand your frustrations.

p.s. I assume the noise is definately coming from the discs and not a heat shield wobbling about and catching on the prop or something??

Well the wheel bearing was replaced when the new flange was installed on that front drivers side. Also they did check the hub assembly when they changed the flange as originally they thought perhaps the whole hub assembly would need replacing but it turned out only the flange and bearing needed changing. So hopefully the hub assembly is OK as they would have looked into it then.

As for the heat shield it's difficult to say for sure I have kept trying to push the shield back to alleviate any contact but it hasn't helped so far and as for the possibility of the shield wobbling about again I can't be certain but from having tried to push it back numerous times it is pretty firm and as such I would have thought unlikely to be wobbling.

I'm most likely gonna get it booked in with Lexus and see where we can go from there....

Thanks again TigerFish

Hi guys just wanted to update you once again, Andy form Lexus Poole was brilliant and on Saturday I took my car there and we took it for a brief test drive and popped it up on the car lift for a look around. The front it appears is now fine however I have either a sticking slide pin or sticking piston(s) on the rear callipers. Both sides of the car are effected and this can be easily seen when the wheel is spun only to come to an unnatural stop shortly later. There is some very clear binding going on there.

So my car is in today and will be checked out to see exactly what is causing the binding, whether it's the pistons or the slide pin that's the route cause. Hopefully soon everything will be sorted.

Big thanks again to Andy for the help on Saturday and all the best for him on his time off, I have to say I'm somewhat jealous that he's off to see the BTCC though!

Hi guys just wanted to update you once again, Andy form Lexus Poole was brilliant and on Saturday I took my car there and we took it for a brief test drive and popped it up on the car lift for a look around. The front it appears is now fine however I have either a sticking slide pin or sticking piston(s) on the rear callipers. Both sides of the car are effected and this can be easily seen when the wheel is spun only to come to an unnatural stop shortly later. There is some very clear binding going on there.

So my car is in today and will be checked out to see exactly what is causing the binding, whether it's the pistons or the slide pin that's the route cause. Hopefully soon everything will be sorted.

Big thanks again to Andy for the help on Saturday and all the best for him on his time off, I have to say I'm somewhat jealous that he's off to see the BTCC though!

BTCC was great :) sunny at Knockhill all weekend :o great racing as well ;)

Andy

Well I thought I'd update you guys when the car went into my local garage they took the rear callipers apart and cleaned and reassembled them and they say there is no more binding. However I have to say I wish I could get the car on a ramp so I could check this for myself, anyway the uotcome.......I still have a rubbing noise coming from the rear not as bad as it was initially but still quite present. I have been busy with work for the last week though and haven't been able to take the car in yet again. I plan to call them up again soon and get it looked at once more, to me the noise sound like it could be backing plates but I'd like to see it up on the ramps in person though just to check the wheels are spinning freely.

I'll let you know what happens guys.

• 1 month later...

So did you get this fixed in the end? I have just replaced the discs and pads on the rear and I too have a scraping noise on the rear drivers side when turning left.

Going to check the shield tomorrow morning and also give the wheel a wobble to see if the bearing is worn!

I still have a rubbing noise coming from the rear not as bad as it was initially but still quite present.

Take the rear brake disc off and check inside for a slight groove all round the inside close to the hub. It sounds like it's rubbing. Now take a close look at the hub where you will see a shiny bit (polished due to the rubbing) on the inside of the hub dust guard - hit this with a hammer. That should sort it.

I've had this problem on my IS200 along with the warping & knocking sound - it's all sorted now after replacing the slide pins, boots & bushes at the front but it took ages to work out what the rubbing noise on the rear was. It did take a couple of attempts to get the rubbing noise away but that depends on how hard you hit it with the hammer! If you hit it too hard it'll stick out at the opposite side, not hard enough and it still rubs. To make sure just go to a quite car pack and turn hard full-lock on each side a few times.

Only just read your initial post but one thing stood out like a sore thumb regarding the quality of advice from you trusted garage..........your post stated the following:

"I bought a suggested brand of disc from the garage and had those fitted, no new pads as I enquired if these would need to be replaced and under inspection they were deemed unnecessary. I wasn't completely sure about this but thought I would just put myself in the hands of this trusted garage and if there were any issues I'd be back and just get them to sort it."

New pads should always be fitted if the discs are replaced.

Hope things are still OK with your car but I would certainly be wary about the garage.