Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Sat Nav Opinion/info Anyone?

Hi all,

My sat nav box is giving problems, either laser or worse, and my local expert wants 100 to check laser....it seems I can get a decent satnav for about 100, but ideally if i am going for a new one, I would like to integrate it into the existing sat nav screen housing. I am tempted also by the more up to date features, postcodes etc. Recent posts from exotic locations have been interesting, but I have no idea on suitable satnavs, costs, difficulty of installing....does it mess up the electronics for instance if you then remove the satnav control panel to blank it off? (I want to keep it all neat and tidy and avoid plonking a tomtom or suchlike onto my windscreen, and a decent sized screen) Any advice welcome,to help me make up my mind on a limited budget ??

Hi all,

My sat nav box is giving problems, either laser or worse, and my local expert wants 100 to check laser....it seems I can get a decent satnav for about 100, but ideally if i am going for a new one, I would like to integrate it into the existing sat nav screen housing. I am tempted also by the more up to date features, postcodes etc. Recent posts from exotic locations have been interesting, but I have no idea on suitable satnavs, costs, difficulty of installing....does it mess up the electronics for instance if you then remove the satnav control panel to blank it off? (I want to keep it all neat and tidy and avoid plonking a tomtom or suchlike onto my windscreen, and a decent sized screen) Any advice welcome,to help me make up my mind on a limited budget ??

hi,to start with how do you know its the box,laser or worse?what have you been told as you havent even mentioned what the problem is???

i have a sony sat nav in the oem housing thanks to stav on here....non navigators cant be fitted with oe sat nav unless you change the whole wiring loom!!

heres a pic of mine

img0280g.jpg

Yep, I reckon it's the box as the screen reports a dvd fault,and when you listen in the boot you can hear it 'cycling' trying to work. I got told off by the local guy for using a disc cleaner in it by the way, as he said it can make it worse!

The reworking of the display unit looks great,but i reckon i will remove the player and take it in for a play with the laser alignment....watch this space!

Yep, I reckon it's the box as the screen reports a dvd fault,and when you listen in the boot you can hear it 'cycling' trying to work. I got told off by the local guy for using a disc cleaner in it by the way, as he said it can make it worse!

The reworking of the display unit looks great,but i reckon i will remove the player and take it in for a play with the laser alignment....watch this space!

Hi,well see how it goes with the laser alignment,if its going to cost too much you could look at the possibility of getting a working 2nd player.

OOOhhh that looks nice, I hope the laser fix works or i might be tempted to spend serious money.....er souldn't admit this but Ive had the S/C for about 3 years now,and I have only just noticed that there is a 'cig lighter' socket in the boot too! No actual lighter in it though, so can't supply one to grace stavs hi tech dash!