Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

New Lexus Smart Card Key

I saw that lexus are now producing a new type of key, card type key. This is the size of a normal visa card but 3 time or 4 thicker. That is great ax the current FOB is big and bulky!

But I dont know if it can fit the 220d model especially the 2007 which I have:( Anyone knows if it will work?

My link

I saw that lexus are now producing a new type of key, card type key. This is the size of a normal visa card but 3 time or 4 thicker. That is great ax the current FOB is big and bulky!

But I dont know if it can fit the 220d model especially the 2007 which I have:( Anyone knows if it will work?

My link

According to that link it should work, says it works on all models as the smart entry system is the same. If I had a mk2 IS I'd definitely be getting one of those! :winky:

It's not new. This smard card key has been designed for the LS460 and 600 and has been with those cars from the start. And yes you can purchase a blank smart card and it is possible to program it to an IS250/220. It has been done by a few people on ClubLexus in the states. When i looked into this 2 years ago, Lexus dealerships werent willing to do the programming for us here. Whereas in the US they do. Things might have changed now and if you approach a dealership they might be willing to do it.

Heres a link to buy a blank card

It's not new. This smard card key has been designed for the LS460 and 600 and has been with those cars from the start. And yes you can purchase a blank smart card and it is possible to program it to an IS250/220. It has been done by a few people on ClubLexus in the states. When i looked into this 2 years ago, Lexus dealerships werent willing to do the programming for us here. Whereas in the US they do. Things might have changed now and if you approach a dealership they might be willing to do it.

Heres a link to buy a blank card

Is it not possible to program the key yourself like it was with the IS200/300?

Is it not possible to program the key yourself like it was with the IS200/300?

Not that i am aware of. Unless you have access to the TIS Techstream system that Lexus/Toyota use.

Heres a guide of it being done by someone who had access to the TIS Techstream

But surely you'd sacrifice the buttons and emergency key with such a card.

It sounds like a backward step to me. Or maybe I'm missing something.

But surely you'd sacrifice the buttons and emergency key with such a card.

It sounds like a backward step to me. Or maybe I'm missing something.

Nope you wont sacrifice any of that. The Smart Card key has it all. Its a step forward trust me and it looks awesome

Hang on. There's conflicting information on this thread.

Two questions:

1. Does it have the butttons?

2. Does it have the emergency key?

Unless the answer to both of the above are "Yes" (which I personally doubt) then it has to be a backward step.

These have been available from 08 for the IS series but they do not come as standard :(

The IS card itself is £268.86 + vat and a cut emergency key is £23.88 + vat :o

I would also be unsure if an American spec key would be on the same UK frequency as there do appear to be different spec keys around the world.

I would also be willing to programme cards if needed :)

Just my thoughts :)

Andy

Wow that is an expensive key! :ohmy:

I remember when the IS was facelifted in 09 that the SE-L was supposed to come with the card one as one of it's keys - I'm guessing that never happened then?

Wow that is an expensive key! :ohmy:

I remember when the IS was facelifted in 09 that the SE-L was supposed to come with the card one as one of it's keys - I'm guessing that never happened then?

Well if they do, I have not yet seen one on an IS :)

Andy

So you can swap a slightly bulky fob on your key-ring for a slightly less bulky key on your key-ring PLUS an extra-thick bulky card to cram into your wallet for only £292.74 - what a bargain! This technology has been about for quite a while now, and I wonder why it hasn't caught on.

So you can swap a slightly bulky fob on your key-ring for a slightly less bulky key on your key-ring PLUS an extra-thick bulky card to cram into your wallet for only £292.74 - what a bargain! This technology has been about for quite a while now, and I wonder why it hasn't caught on.

You took the words right out of mouth. :lol:

Different doesn't always mean better.

Just got this in answer to a query I made to my local dealership:

"I actually have the manufacturer here this afternoon (and have just asked them), they will not work over here due to the main key ecu. apparantly the American version have built in panic buttons?? So they advise me without replacement ecu it will not operate."

So looks very much like it's not anyway worth the bother of changing.

So you can swap a slightly bulky fob on your key-ring for a slightly less bulky key on your key-ring PLUS an extra-thick bulky card to cram into your wallet

Well you wouldn't actually be carrying both? But I see where you're coming from.

Mercedes had these years ago, not sure if they still use the card system though........

Hi, I am from Malta and have no Lexus dealer here! I have bought the lexus from UK, se-l 2007 model. Can someone pls contact Lexus for me and check if a smart card will work on my car? I have bought this item :http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=290432817907&viewitem=&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWNX%3AIT.

Please help me.

Thanks

Well ACLex works for a Lexus dealer and has confirmed that the key does work, although he isn't sure if US keys will work with UK cars due to potential frequency discrepancies.

Now that you've bought the key you may as well try it out :winky:

Well ACLex works for a Lexus dealer and has confirmed that the key does work, although he isn't sure if US keys will work with UK cars due to potential frequency discrepancies.

Now that you've bought the key you may as well try it out :winky:

As I said in the other post, it will not work on European models unless you change the main key ECU for the American version.