Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Just Bought A Lexus Is200 Sport

swwwp

engline management light was on! help!

Just bought a Lexus is200 sport 1999, (130000miles)last week,and just like i thought cheap price maybe with bad condition. but i liked the car very much when i first saw it and didn't test properly, then been driving in the town for a week felt that is ok, but the engine management light was on last night while driving but didn't feel any thing wrong any where with the accelerateing, engine performance and sound etc, this morning started first time without any thing wrong, driveing fine but the engine management light was still on. can anybody help what should i do, keep driving like this or must be to check! becoz i used have a Astra the light was on for years so do not this Lexus.

The Lexus is very good looking with gunmetal colour and creamy half leather inside, cool alloys, clean and dry engine, but the gear box may have a

little wrong with when put second or third gear on which can feel not smoothly but position and work great, also i feel bit slow reaction on the accelerating when you press the pedal down, have to be used to it with the cluch, so don't know this is a problem. does anyone has a same thing?

thanks

william

Clutch/pressure plate could be worn.

Also check gearbox oil could be low,

may have a leak.

As for the eml best to get it checked and see what code it comes up with

could be anything electrical.

I had my eml on and it was a 02 sensor which plays a big part in consumption,

so worth getting it checked out.

As for the accleration i would get a full engine service done, car will be smoother

(low engine oil will make the car sluggish)

Also as lexynik said the car may be in limp mode...

Thanks for all!!!

Today I drove the car all around in the city and motoway have done about 70 miles with the Eml on, the car was fast and quite powerful, oil and water are in right level,engine sound nice, no other warnning light come on, and i felt nothing different with the Eml on than before, i tried to get used the accleration, pressed the padal a little early than releaving the cluch, the gears were fine just felt something little clunky in the way second to third gear but works well.

I think i am going to check out and give the car a good service,

do i have to go Lexus dealer to the Eml check or some good local garage? thanks william

yesterday, I got my car checked at local garage with a computing stuff cost £45.00 and they said some codes came out as result and they cleaned the codes up,so the EML is off now, also adviced if doesn't affect driving just keep like this if the EML come on again. then I started the car the EML is on then off as it should be, I drove the car away. went out last night and drove to work this morning, good so far! I will be back here if any thing happening late!

were about are you in edinburgh?i work at the toyota garage at camerontoll of you pass their i have the green is200 that sits outside..........

throttle - tighten your throttle cable.

Thanks for that and what is throttle cable and where is it, is that at top next airfilter, is that same thing to do the idlling up or down, thanks

thats the one, attached to a little "springy wheel". if you press the "springy wheel", you will see the cable move (or get a mate to press the accelerator). this will show you which direction you need to tighten the cable in to take any play out of it. use the two nuts to do this, it should be clear when you look at it.

no it won't alter your idle, but it will make your car a lot livelier and your throttle a bit more responsive. first thing i did to my altezza.

pretty slow car lol 153 bhp standard is not slow. (is 200). i remember when a vauxhall sri 130 bhp was the dogs. although you have to push the is 200 in the lower gears and push harder in lower gears uphill. is still not slow. the is, is olso a bit strange to get used to the cluch anyhow. and is not notchy or clunky if ya use the cluch the right way.the is 300 is faster alround car but a gas guzler. so the is 200 with 153bhp stock is no slow car and a few mods and even more bhp...........

pretty slow car lol 153 bhp standard is not slow. (is 200). i remember when a vauxhall sri 130 bhp was the dogs. although you have to push the is 200 in the lower gears and push harder in lower gears uphill. is still not slow. the is, is olso a bit strange to get used to the cluch anyhow. and is not notchy or clunky if ya use the cluch the right way.the is 300 is faster alround car but a gas guzler. so the is 200 with 153bhp stock is no slow car and a few mods and even more bhp...........

yeah, and times change. it's slow. what mods do you intend on doing for "even more bhp", short of forced induction? please don't mention the 1-2bhp per mod you can get from an exhaust, decat or air filter.

the is, is olso a bit strange to get used to the cluch anyhow. and is not notchy or clunky if ya use the cluch the right way.

err,, i think youll find a lot of is,s are gnotchy and clunky as well documented and discussed here and elsewhere ! - unless of course you know of an advanced way to drive a car that so many other is owners dont

as expecting my is200 EML come back on again this morning, so quite annoying me but i not going to do any action for it just keep driving becoze

doesn't affect the car performance! any comment? and also just spent £170 for the caliper/breaking changed two days ago, i keep saying i love the car to my girl but!!!

might be worth your while to get a cheap obd2 reader - at least then you can grab the codes yourself and turn off the eml light - should be able to get one for about £30 - £60 i think and can be used on other cars too so not bad value

• 3 weeks later...

as expecting my is200 EML come back on again this morning, so quite annoying me but i not going to do any action for it just keep driving becoze

doesn't affect the car performance! any comment? and also just spent £170 for the caliper/breaking changed two days ago, i keep saying i love the car to my girl but!!!

after weeks driving the EML came off itself somehow, its nice!